Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife chairman defiant he’s staying

The Courier

EAST FIFE chairman Willie Gray has reassured supporters he will remain at the club’s helm, despite offering to resign on Friday night.

The Kirkcaldy businessman had tendered his resignation to vice-chairman Sid Collumbine, citing continued interference from former chairman Derrick Brown as the main reason for his departure.

However that position changed on Saturday morning after Mr Collumbine refused to accept Mr Gray’s offer and instead called a special board meeting at Bayview on Wednesday night to iron out any problems.

Mr Gray told The Courier on Saturday his colleague had rebuffed his offer to quit because of the good work done to turn the club around over the summer.

“I have received some assurances from Sid that things will be sorted out with a view to getting rid of the cancer that is still at the club,” he said.

“Sid just wouldn’t accept my resignation because of all the good work that has been done at the club and I had all the players on the phone on Saturday morning giving me their 100% support.

“He’s (Mr Brown) doing everything in his power to put obstacles in front of me and won’t accept the position he’s been given.

“I’m there to be a success and I’ve decided to stay—I’m certainly not going to walk away that easily.”

Mr Brown as unavailable for comment over the weekend.

Saying he had been appalled at Mr Brown’s conduct, Mr Gray added, “On coming to this club last year, I witnessed mass protests, marches and boycotts against former chairman Derrick Brown, who was at the time a friend of mine and the one who invited me to Bayview.

“‘What could be so bad?’ I thought, watching the supporters tirelessly campaign against this man. Now I know only too well.

“Since my appointment as chairman Derrick Brown has shown no respect for any democratic decisions made by the board, he has sought to make life as difficult as possible for all concerned at this club, from the directors, the management, to the players and those who work in and around the stadium.

“I was going to call it a day. However, I began to regret this decision almost instantly—the support and backing I have received from the fans, players and everyone at this club has been an inspiration to me.”

“I will not let the actions of one man destroy this aim, when I took over as chairman I said that I will work with everyone who shares this goal to get the club back on its feet.”

Re: East Fife chairman defiant he’s staying

One year ago such a headline would have infuriated us

I am sure this absolute openness will at last dispell the 'doubting thomas's Willie can't be accused of not being open. Thanks once again for staying on and fighting.
Willie the supporters are behind you, players are behind you, manager and staff are behind you, so that only leaves the directors. Which part of 'fuck of Brown' are they having difficulty with.

The version of the Courier I read this morning also had a line about WG "wanting to rid the Club of the cancer that still remains" Wonder what he meant by that!!!

Willie's press statement must be like a bombshell going off in the the Brown camp, 6 billion souls now know the truth about him. Sometime ago there were a few post's suggesting that Brown would eventually hang himself with his own rope, I think it has happened at long last.

If he survives this onslaught I suggest everybody leaves (including the present board/staff/players) and let him get on with it.

Sorry should read things properly before replying, the cancer bit is there!!!!

Ah ken a guid comunikation teechur.

Is he a pal of yours?

Its good to read that everyone at the club is behind the chairman including his fellow directors, but if I were him I wouldn't want these directors behind me I'd want them in front of me where I could see them.

as a volunteer at the club i can say the cancer that is still at the club is 1 ignorant bas***** he will not let on to most of us and he is the 1 who says who gets a present at xmas time as we are all volunteers if he gives to 1 he has 2 give to the rest as you can imagine it causes hostilities between us. I have been a volunteer for a few years now and i must admit the atmosphere has dramatically improved between us we are trying to all work together as a team and not individuals like previous seasons. I can honestly say if herr broon stays all of us will walk. So he can put in his pipe n smoke it.