Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Heartfelt Thanks

Now that Browns imminent departure is near,I would like to thank every protester who has made the effort to help save OUR club.
Standing on the Mound in the cold and rain has made it all worthwhile now as we will soon have our great club back again.
As previously said,throughout this sorry saga,what Derrick Brown has done is bring us all closer together and in my opinion we will all flourish together as we watch East Fife grow stronger on and off the field.

Re: A Heartfelt Thanks

Absolutely.

Everyone played their part.
Igor and Stevie Gates who organised the protests.
Dave Marshall who stood up to the board (alone!)
The trust committee who behind the scenes worked their socks off.
The guys (and gals) who were not afraid to confront Brown face to face. You know who you are.
Fifeyboab who let us use the Wellesley and supported us throughout.
Bob Moreland for the free pies on the mound.
Big shout to Donald Walker of the Scotsman for his brilliant articles, exposing Brown for what he was.
Eugene! Mr press co-ordinater!
Loads and loads more...
And lastly Derrick Brown for inviting Willie Gray along to Bayview...

Seriously chaps, we did it together, we did it for EAST FIFE!!!

I feel that Andy Hain and Davie Hamilton deserve thanks for what they've done and been through during their time on the board. They knew that 'jumping ship' was not the best way of dealing with the Brown situation and when the time was right they stood up and made their views known.

Well done to you both.

and can you tell us one single thing they did to bring about the changes that have taken place?

or did they sit back and do nothing other than wait?

Mr Pidgeon, I could hardly disagree with you more!

You are entitled to believe what you wish, but personally I hope both of these waste of space follow Brown out the door. In my opinion they have no place at New Bayview and I will never forgive then for what they didn't do.
When Dave Marshall stood up to Derrick Brown if they had followed and stood on the mound with the fans then this might all have been resolved a lot sooner.

They did nothing and in my book are a couple of spineless tossers who deserve nothing but contempt from the fans of East Fife!

However, I refuse to allow 2 such insignificant nobodys spoil a great day, the dumpling has been removed! Lets all party!!!!

TO be fair, if Hain and Hamilton had walked at the time, then it's quite possible that Brown would still be in charge.

Gray/Collumbine would not have had so much backing on the board when time came to get rid of Brown.

The abuse should be pointed towards those who continued to back Brown even when it was clear that the tide had turned.

Oh and leave Betty out of it, it wasn't her fault!

no surprise that someone called forest can't see the wood for the trees

hain and hamilton did not lift a finger to find a way of removing brown. if they had backed dave marshall, there would have been no need for any of the three dissidents to resign. the board would have been split but if they were being shafted by brown anyway, they had nothing to lose by drawing the battle lines. they would only have needed the support of one more board member to out-vote brown. and this appalling saga would have been brought to a head much earlier

so much has gone on behind the scenes to remove brown. but the input of hain and hamilton was pitiful

I might be wrong, but wasnt Andy in Australia or somewhere when Dave made his stand at a board meeting.

I could be completely wrong, but if I am correct, its damn hard to vote from 9,000 miles away

no it isn't, if you know what you are doing

OK Gimp

Let's say Hain and Hamilton had come down on Davie's side.

The board will have been split with Brown and his cronoes holding power.
All Brown would have needed is to sit tight until the AGM at which time he could have used his proxies to try to kick the 3 of them off the board. Or he could have tried to make their life so unbearable as to prompt their resignations.

Personally, I don't see the point of completely changing the board just for the sake of it.

Have to agree with FF.

I think at the time, Dave Marshalls' resignation took all concerned by surprise and there was no plan in place. In hindsight, if both Hain & Hamilton had walked or sided with him, then the likelihood is that they would have been removed from the board and replaced with Broons family or cronies.
Neither are strong enough characters to have taken charge to remove Brown. Lets be thankful they were there to support Gray.
I think we should concentrate on finally removing the Browns and then get on with supporting East Fife and hopefully moving the club forward.

What about Brown still having Rankine's proxy ? I still find this worrying and unsettling. Does anyone know where Rankine stands on the recent sacking of Brown ?

What if he dicides he wants back on board down the line sometime - say if there's a future board split or resignation etc?

Shudder

Forest Gimp

You are sticking up for Hain and Hamilton. As someone has pointed out here, neither were strong enough characters to do anything about the situation at East Fife. Okay, maybe we can agree on that. But if we do, let's take a step back and ask: if they are such weak individuals, why are they directors of a football club? They were out-witted by a payroll assistant. Is that the kind of person EFFC needs in the boardroom? How about trying someone with an ounce of capability. As the protest showed, there are plenty of them around.
Hain and Hamilton should not be commended. It should never be forgotten that in the club's hour of need they had nothing to offer. Why should we expect them to have anything to offer the club today?
I am all in favour of looking forward and putting this all behind us but that would be so much easier for everyone to do if Hain and Hamilton acknowleded they are out of their depth as football club directors. If they could do nothing when the time came to 'direct' then maybe they will ask themselves: 'Why am I here?'
For any sake, Hamilton was Brown's vice chairman (shafting up one of the new associate directors in the process) and Hain was brought on to the board by Brown. If we want to consign the Brown regime to the dustbin of history, then make some room in there for Hain and Hamilton.

Run Forest, run!

If you threw everyone off the board because they were brought in by Brown then perhaps Oor Willie should leave as well!

"Forest Gimp" - oh my aching sides........

OK, tell me this.

If they had walked along with Dave, who would be the current chairman?

And would you be happy about it?

The current chairman would be whoever Neil Rankin allowed it to be. You are kidding only yourself if you think the spineless wonders removed Brown as chairman.

In reality this is probably a debate about nothing. It doessn't seem that either the Board under Brown or the protesters and supporters made the slightest difference to getting rid of Brown. My sources tell me that the whole thing was managed by Rankine, Collumbine, Gray and Black.

But would they(he) have bothered if there hadn't been such a stramash from the protest?

In the know,
If the various protests had nothing to do with the current shape of the board I would be interested in an explanation from you,the Mole and all the other other facial blemishes with "inside information".
What were the key decisions made by Rankine prior to and during WG's introduction to EFFC by DB and has Rankine now achieved the master plan that no one but you and his cohorts knew existed.

Are you and the blemishes now going to retire or do you feel that where there is still work to be done ?

Hey. In The Know.

While you sat back and pontificated on affairs, many lifelong Fife fans worked their fucking socks off, such was their concern at the state of affairs at New Bayview.
Instead of wallowing in the outcome, like you knew it was coming all along, how about paying homage to some of the real supporters who took a different attitude. The ones who were proactive and refused to acknowledge that Brown was going to remain in control.
Just what difference we made to the outcome no-one will ever know, but if if a similar situation should occur in the future, I know which Fife fans I would want fighting for our club beside me, and do you know what? You ain't one of them...

Have to agree with you guys.The protest was getting alot ov publicity in the papers and radio.Eug,Igor,Davie and Angus(fer the chicken run) must take alot ov credit for that.(and anyone else i forgot to mention).Bad publicity for the club =very little sponsers for the boardings round the park,program etc.The club was dying.Dying in front ov our eyes.I think now its over,many fans who never took part in any ov the protests,marchies etc,will be taking a look at there selfs and saying that maybe they should ov made a small effert to change things for the better.
One final thing.At least with Kenny Mckay,you know where he stood.As for Hamilton,that guy wore more hats than Mr Ben.I'm sorry, but he should ov walked with Kenny.Whats his job at Bayview now by the way?I never saw a "job" for him and Andy Hain.Right enough there prob no looking fer "bum lickers" noo.A suppose wi mare folk in the bar match days, theres eywiz picking up the pint joogs.Christ, a wouldn'y even trust um dain that!!!!

"What about Brown still having Rankine's proxy ? I still find this worrying and unsettling. Does anyone know where Rankine stands on the recent sacking of Brown ?

What if he dicides he wants back on board down the line sometime - say if there's a future board split or resignation etc?

Shudder"

Aye, shudder.

Sid has signed a proxy agreement for the Johnstone/Twigg shares and he is now effectively the majority shareholder. His new, grand title of Chief Executive, should tell you all you need to know.

Is Sid going to allow the trust to have a representatitive, or has he tied this one up too by having Willie Gray on board (he's a trust member I understand) and then by joining the trust himself?

If that's what he's doing, then you've been duped.

Sons fan,theres plenty o guys un girls on here that will answer yer trust question,but as far as i am hoping there will be a rep from the trust,on the board.As fer Broon returning,i hope,by the time the AGM comes along,he is no longer a directer ov the club and his shares/proxies are there no more.There are 4 more directers been added ti the board,and i think the fans are happy by the names ov these guys.The important thing,as far as the fans are concerend,is that Broon iz no longer the one-man band that was in place before.Time will tell however.

Enfifer - fair enough. If Brown leaving is all you want, then mission accomplished and indeed well done.

In your shoes, I'd be battling to make sure that such a situation did not happen again.

It is indeed good new that Davie Marshall has been invited back onto the board, a public relations coup for Mr Gray and a spy in the camp for us fans.

L&L welcome back.

The fact that DM is on the board will mean he will again be bound by confidentiallity and will as such not be able to act as a spy.

At the present count, if as I suspect Broon and his missus have not tendered their resignations, means that the director count is one over the maximum allowed according to the most recently published articles. This of course will be rectified by getting rid of them at the AGM. We have also been told that there is likely to be more than this happening and again I suspect it may hold out hope to those that think Hamilton and Hain should not be at the club.

Who knows? It certainly will be an interesting AGM.

Don't get too excited, guys. As a rule associate directors wouldn't normally be at Board meetings except by occasional invitation or for part of a meeting to give a report on something. More of an honorary position than a real one.

- and they certainly don't get votes or count against the max number of directors allowed!

Basically, they are not directors. Associate director is a sop title

Not true.
Associate directors can and do act as shadow directors with all the power (and liability) that this entails.

I would be very surprised if Messrs Black, Marshall, Stevenson and Barclay have put their heads above the parapet in order to be "sops".

Associate directors have no powers under company law. It's an honorary title to give people a sense of worth. That said, conversely, again under company law, any individual seen to be acting as a board member and committing acts under the jurisdiction of the company, could be liable for any actions taken against the company in the event of administration orders etc.

Mike, how much power did Jim Stewart, Dougie Briggs or Jimmy Taylor have as associate directors in recent years? None. And you won't find any of them were listed as officials at Companies House or with the SFA or the SFL.

Yes. See your point but I think these guys will not be willing to just stand and watch. They will insist on having a say, at the very least operationally.

did i not read this week that through time they will all be made up to become directors and have a vote.