Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Marvellous

Marvin Andrews

Ooooooooo Baby BABY!!!!!!

Come on ye Raith.

Re: Marvellous

We thought about outbidding you on this one as well Jonathan, but he wouldn't get in our team anyway what with Super Jonny Smart.

Isn't Marvin(Hammer Thrower) Andrews too busy
Chastising Gays and Single mums to be worried about
playing for the SCUM??

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone with the word SCUM
What i meant to say was Raith Rovers SCUM

Where have Raith suddenly found the cash from? also read in the newspaper, they are interested in Lee Wilkie, and willing to pay £1,000 a week for him.

looks like local businesses are funding it. My work was phoned this morning asking if they could contribute £100 a week to help fund Marvins Wage. We told them two words second word off.

BTW before anyone mentions it yes my email is the same as the chairmens I`m his son

Next you'll be bringin in the boy Anelka to be your manager...ooops already tried that

The mastermind of Anelka's move is now, thankfully, involved at E*st F*fe.

Soft loans anyone?

I AM SIGNING FOR EAST FIFE AFTER HUMPING SCOTLAND.WAITING ON CONFORMATION FROM THE VATICAN.

WG hires a French manager and says he will bring in good French players. Was Jonathon on the RR equivelant
of the mound protesting that it wouldn't work - I think not.
Project goes belly-up and WG is the villain - fair enough.
Cash strapped RR now want to pay past-it Premier League players £1k pw and Jonathon is clapping like a seal.Who will get the blame for this one ??

They would be better signing Julie Andrews.

Halleluja !!

The Other Chairman.

I most certainly was present at all the protests against WG and the board at the time. Utter nonsense to suggest otherwise.

I have been quite vocal (in a typed fashion) on the Raith forum speaking out against WG and friends from day 1.

I heeded a warning from an E*st F*fe fan at the very beginning and stuck by it whilst Raith fans made the same mistakes as you lot seem to want to do too.

Every single penny that your new saviour puts into the club will be recouped in the form of soft loans.

And don't think that you can be saved by selling off the land around Bayview. There are lovely flats built around Stark's but we never saw a penny of it.

Start to worry when business associates from the West Coast appear at matches, then you'll soon be the Sunday Mail media darlings.

As for big Marv! It is an amazing signing. I can't help that you lot are jealous. If he was after money then he woldn't have joined the Rovers. This deal will have been worked out by people who know what they're doing and there will be no worries for the club accountant.

Johnathon,
Was your one man protest before,during or after the Anelka affair ? If you were protesting before it started then this discussion is pointless as you have the advantage of a crystal ball.
We don't have a crystal ball and are hardly going to start another mound protest when there is nothing to protest about. Newspaper headlines - "EF fans back on mound (but they are not really sure why).
Just like the Andrews signing I am sure all the RR support (except you)thought it was the start of a bright,new,financially planned future. The first was a farce but only time can judge the latest.
I am not in a position to comment on soft loans but
it is a fact that WG has minimal shareholding power
and in my opinion a Vice Chairman with a different agenda to WG's and who is the voice of the real owner of EF.

There are no crystal balls, but there is hindsight and the only worry is that a lot of the F*fe fans are patting themselves on the back at getting rid of a horrible little man, with little brain and little power, whilst you have Dumbarton and Raith fans who are concerned for you (awww, brings a tear to the eye)

Raith fans are divided over WG, but for me he was too involved with the bad days and he always seemed to bat for the wrong side, especially over the Anelka affair. There were plenty of protests during Sep and Oct 2004 and we managed to get rid of the manager, then in late 2004 we started a Trust, just like you guys.

People for WG say he kept Raith going, but I reckon (and it's all opinion) that he came away from Raith just as well off and probably better than when he started. If he had lost financially out then why would he be at The F*fe now? He may not be a big shareholder, but if he is paying players wages you can be assured that he'll want it back one day. The squad you have at Bayview is pretty impressive for Div 3, I hope all your money men are there for years to come to fund it all.

There is obviously money to be had (form a non football source) at Bayview and you should be ensuring that it stays at Bayview.

Just admit it Jonathan you really wish you were a East Fife fan.

And are you suggesting Willie creamed mob=ney out of the Rovers and is now using some of ot in signing players and supporting teh supporters! No wonder your pssied off. Give that man a knighthood I suggest.

I happen to agree with T.O.C and Jonathan. We can't protest against something that hasn't happened and may never happen but I think that the experience of the past two years will keep the fans very vigilant in the future.

However, Jonathan is correct, In my opinion, WG will not be at East Fife for the love of football or to prove any point to RR, he will be trying to make money.

If he can do that without damaging the club, then good for him. However we are not in a position to be choosy at the moment..........Enjoy the feel good factor, but keep an ear close to the ground.

I think he has a reasoned response to all we've thrown at him. It's good to get some sense out of a R"vers fan than senseless nonsense.

Cheers for the advice and info Johnathan. We can all revel in our sudden glory but might (you never know) have to say that we should've taken heed to his and the Sons' fans comments.

We know how easy and quickly a football team can be fucked. We're always on thin ice. What happened at the R&vers was catastrophic and although I back him with us, Willie Gray was a massive part of that

I'd like to point out to Mark and everyone on this Forum that I do not think WG skimmed any money from Raith Rovers.

I think he is an honest, law abiding man and an asset to the Kingdom of Fife.

Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely hate the F*fe, but for some reason I'd hate to see them go the way Raith went.

WG might turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread for you, but don't give up the ghost just cos you've got rid of a nobody in the last few weeks.

Thanks for the advice Jonny and I'm sure we'll all keep a good watch on things.

And I'm also glad you think Marvin Andrews is a good signing. But as Craig says, I'm also pleased that this bible bashing, homophobic and ignorant man will be playing for you lot and not us.

Tend to think that Mr Andrews is a bit of a liar when he say`s that lot`s of clubs wanted to sign him.
Isn`t it a strange coincidence that he signs for his local club just days after being given the Ministry of his local church.

Can we put this "soft loan" thing in context?

People write about it as if it were some devious con whereas it is simply a way of putting money into a business so that you can get it back without too much hassle and without paying tax/insurance again.

With a private limited compnay such as EFFC you can invest in the form of shares but of course this means that to get your money back you need to find a buyer. There may also be CGT implications.

Recording it as a loan means the company simply repays you when it can afford to or by prior arrangement and it does so without any tax or NI implications.

It's of course technically possible for someone who is owed money to raise an action to retrieve or threaten to put a business into liquidation it but this is highly unlikely and in any case might not achieve the intended result because of prior creditors.

Those who criticise WG or anyone else who has put money into the club in the form of loans might care to explain why they think this should be done as a gift instead.

Apologies to all accountants out there if I've used the wrong words anywhere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/raith_rovers/5406252.stm

Unreal !!! He shouldn't be doing that surely ???!

Eugene

Your post doesn't settle anyones nerves.

So what your saying is that we shouldn't be spending all his money willy-nilly as it might see us go into liquidation if he wants it back later down the line (regardless of how unlikely that is or could be)???

It would've seemed unlikely a few years ago along Kirkcaldy way (then they nearly went under all to easily).

No point 'borrowing' stacks of cash form a wealthy chairman only to have to repay it in a few years when the novelty/relative success/feel good factor wears off.

Eugene

I wasn't meaning it do sound like a devious con, but it can be used to mislead fans.

The matter over Jason Dair. I heard (so it's not gospel) that WG was meant to be paying his wages out of his own pocket? Might not be the case.

To me that means that WG is paying for his wages at no cost to the F*fe? Then two years later you find out that it was in the form of a soft loan to the club and he wants to get his money back?

That is the sort of thing that happened to us, along with leasing the stadium to a company owned by the directors who then take a monthly rent and then, when they get bored, get all the money back from the new buyer plus the monthly rent they've collected for the last two years. Fair enough if the landlord makes sure that the ground is kept nice and tidy. Not so fair enough if you're left with condemned stands and the likes. (please note that this could not happen at Bayview as you only have one stand)

p.s. No chat about the Vers or the F*fe on the bus tomorrow. I'll just get depressed.

p.p.s. Remember your tickets

"p.p.s. Remember your tickets"

I've set up a text alert service and have been promised regular nagging by offspring.

tough shit there will be plenty of talk about East Fife 'on the bus' spesh between all the Real Fife fans 2moro, while u can chat to Fat Dougs bird - poor Nikki