Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Match Change

It is proposed to change the date of the home game v Stenhousemuir,due on Boxing Day,to the previous Saturday 23rd December 2006.

Re: Match Change

I think we'd get a much bigger crowd if it was on Boxing Day.

Actually suits me better for it to be the Saturday, but think the club could make a lot more dosh on the Tuesday.

Agree. Boxing day is a great day for footie fans. Great excuse to go to the pub::))

Bad idea

Sat 23rd folk have lots of other things to do, Boxing Day, beer then football is an ideal day out.

Dave

Does not sound right.
What's the thinking behind this?

Keep it on Boxing Day, surely they'd get a bigger attendance then rather than the 23rd?

I'd even say that Boxing Day is probably one of the best fixtures for a "Bring a pal" campaign as there's not much else to do and folk are wanting to get out the house.

No, silly move, Boxing Day is the perfect day for the game, the 23rd is the last Xmas shopping day too, and we also don't have a new year game (holidays without football .

can see where it makes sense from the managers point of view though, 4 days between Warriors and Arbroath extended to 7, 10 days between Dumbarton and Warriors reduced to 7. Tis an equal amount of time if we have injuries and potentialy against our nearest rivals for promotion.
Personally the 23rd would be an escape clause from late Xmas shopping although equally the 26th would just be an escape clause.

Another Tam makes a really good point.

There's not much to do on Boxing Day, people want to get out of the house, so encouraging people to come along to the match is easier.

My mum and dad were going to come along on Boxing Day for example, but are both working on 23rd so wouldn't come. £18 lost. Not a lot, but fairly adds up.

or maybe £20 as I can't mind what it is to get in!

The game is confirmed as Saturday 23rd guys.It was done for purely footballing reasons at Dave's behest.

Guess the fans don't count as usual then? An opportunity wasted...

I'm one of the few people that this actually works out better for as I am due to fly back to London early on the 27th, playing the game on the 23rd will give me the opperchancity to have "one or two" more after the game without feeling guilty

not done in the interests of the fans???

sorry disagree, whats giving injured players an equal opportnity to rest so we have potentially the best team for both games??

also giving the players Xmas off with their families, shows that both Warriors and East Fife care about their teams.

This is the stupidest move of the new regime so far. Ask anyone involved with the running of a Scottish football club what is traditionally the poorest Saturday attendance of the season, and the answer is always the Saturday before Christmas Day.

Ok, as I stated earlier for personal reasons I would have prefered the game to stay Boxing Day but on reflection I agree with Lonefifer and Dave Baikie that in the interests of the team it is a good decision.

Been here before

The fans most certainly do count.If we all give the team every opportunity to perform at their best and bring us the championship then we can all share in the elation that would ensue.

Personally I would prefer boxing day game but this means the players can have a relaxing Christmas and if anyone is Christmas shopping instead of watching their team on the 23rd, one word, SAD.

With all the shopping to be done who is gonna be working at the club on that day?

The games will even themselves up!! The gap between the games helps both teams. What if Stenny and the smokies had worse injuries than us?? They will have time to recover. Boxing day might have been advantageous. It's a lottery, depending on how injuries go nearer the time.

You lot are so selfish, its all me, me, me. Let the players have some quality time and relax at Christmas with their girlfriends, wifes, kids (some are old enough to have grand children)

Morton and Raith Rovers have also rearranged their boxing day fixture to 23rd December.
I think the boxing day crowd would have produced a better atmosphere and helped spur the team to three points. The crowd could be 300-400 less on the Saturday and the team may not receive that same crucial backing, which may result in points being dropped. All hypothetical of course.
One of the best games at New Bayview must be the 3-2 boxing day comeback win against ICT in 98.

Bridesmaid

I wonder if you ever watch television on Christmas Day? What a shame for the BBC & ITV staff who are unable to relax at home with their families because they have to work on Christmas Day.

Ever switched the radio on on Christmas Day? What a shame for the poor broadcasters, stuck at work.

Ever bought a pint of milk on Boxing Day? What a shame for the farmer who spent Christmas Day milking his cows.

Ever gone out to a hotel for a meal on Christmas Day? What a shame for the hotel staff.

Ever had to use the emergency services on Christmas Day? What a shame for them, people getting into bother.

No crowd = no wages to hire players in the first place. The club's first objective should not be to keep the players happy. It should be to make ends meet. Boxing Day and New Year's Day football is very popular with the punters. It also represents a golden chance for the club to reconnect with lost supporters.

What's all this nonsense about the 23rd being a shopping day?

Over 40% of Xmas shopping will be done this year online and if anyone is daft enough to leave it until the final Saturday before Christmas they deserve to miss the match for being glaikit.

Dave Marshall - sorry but i'm not much of a computer buff and have only been reading this website recently but found it enlightning and interestin. Will this change of date be posted on the official website but more importantly be well publisised in the EFFM and courier. i know from past experience that any news from the "official source" has not been well publisised and has resulted in people not being informed. Keep up the good work on this site.

Eric

Yes on all counts.I think I have been a bit previous in informing AFTN users about the change but I assure you the rest will catch up.

After reading the posts on this thread, i have to say is it more important our team wins the league or is it more important that some people have a day out that suits them. are these people real fans of east fife or are they more interested in there own enjoyment( EG - GETTING PISSED )if the manager/ players/board feel it is best for the team / club this season in our aim to be champions i support them in this action. just imagine the last game of the season arbroath/berwick/stenny , singing we are the champions , we could always sing we had more fans than you on boxing day

it's about re-connecting with the community and with supporters we have lost. we have already seen that even being top of the league doesn't mean people come flooding back. if we want east fife to be rebuilt, a home game on boxing day is a gift

Pish

But its not just about the match and players. What about all the other stuff that needs done for a match. On the pitch and off. Before and after a game.

Are we taking about sport or are we talking about entertainment. For me I would gladly miss a game if it meant the team being properly rested, allowing them to perform at their peak during a forthcoming game

Making money from the punters, embracing the community or caring about the players welfare it'll mean nothing to club or supporters if we dont gain promotion.

What amazing vision. I am blinded.

What have we achieved if the club is top of the league but no-one other than the die-hards wants to know?

Great, we can get promoted and keep the thrill all to ourselves. Then when we're in the Second Division, we can all moan together about the locals not showing any interest.

By the way, I could't make it to the game on Boxing Day but I can make the game on the 23rd. And I can see further than the end of my nose.

Santa
If you can see past your nose can you not see that gaining promotion to the 2nd will encourage more people to go to Bayview than playing on Boxing Day.
Anyway how couldnt you make the game on the 26th you only work one day a year, and dont gimmi the pish about being 'tired' absolute bollox, you have the rest of the year to sleep - call yourself a real supporter