Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
All Time East Fife XI

When talking to Igor recently, he gave us a great idea to run at AFTN - to vote for the all time East Fife XI.

Voting will take place weekly as we try and establish who you, the readers, feel are the best East Fife goalkeeper, defenders, midfielders and strikers of all time.

Hopefully the team with cross all eras.

Each Sunday we'll launch a new position to vote on.

Next Sunday will be goalkeeper, then right back, left back, and so on.

We'll then have a starting XI and subs and we'll try and get the Club to recognise the vote in some way as well.

Save your chat about each position till the week of the vote.

To start with though, let's pick the formation.

So leave your vote here on whether you want to see the All Time Black and Gold Heroes play 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or something else.

Re: All Time East Fife XI

4-4-2

4-3-3.... need 3 up front!!

4-3-3

2--- 3---5.age thing.??

ok 433

4-4-2 for me.

I'm favouring 4-3-3. Partly for goals and partly cos we have so many great strikers over the years to fit in the team!

4-3-3 for me.

Davie Clarke's 9-1!!!

4-3-3 and even at that narrowing our forward line to 3 will be a nightmare

Igor

I would have thought that you would have gone with 11 left wingers

4-3-3

or Pat Quinn's 10-0

3-3-4
Attack is the best form of defence

OK
4-3-3

Surely the best East Fife teams played a 2-3-5 formation with inside right and inside left positions etc and a good old fashioned center forward. The modern game is all about playing it down the channels, one striker and overlapping full backs, it's all far too complicated for me.

I would have to agree with the last post. Surely the 2-3-5 formation would be the best considering that was how the game was played during the golden years?
Having said that, a 4-3-3 formation can at times look like a 2-3-5, with left and right wing backs moving forward at times to take up the same positions as outside lefts and outside rights - the only problem being that right backs wear 2 & 3 and the old fashioned wingers wore 7 & 11.

Has to be 2-3-5 as very few present players (last 10 years) will mention in the finale. I suppose the younger fans will have to go on hearsay.
By the way I'm outside right, no risk
TA

4-4-2

4-3-3.

gota be 4-3-3, lookin 4rward to the pos. as well

4-4-2

I like to consider wingers as the wide men of the 4 in midfield rather than the wide men of the 3 up front. Surely you all want to put a few good wingers in the team like Gordon Love?

Don't worry. Haven't forgotten bout this! Just been working hard for a change, so not had time but the official team building will begin on Sunday with the goalkeeping position.

The final result from the formation voting went with a 4-3-3 formation, but I'm sure that we can still be able to incorporate the players that would almost definitely have featured in a 2-3-5 formation in this.

Cheers to all who voted and I'm looking forward to seeing what we come up with as our all time East Fife XI

Am I allowed to vote?

I'd pick Ray Charles as the best goalkeeper.

Been watching since 1982-ish?

For me, between the sticks - Ernie McGarr.

Got to be Gordon Marshall

Sorry GoF. I didn't read the Sunday bit... I will re vote then.

Since im a young 'un

has to be Jim Butters..

better than gary o'grobbelar. haha.

Gordon Marshall. Great keeper and great penalty taker.

davie gorman .And no because ah used to get comps from him?????