Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nepotism at Cowdenbeath

4 November 2006
BLAST AFTER GAFFER'S JOB KEPT IN FAMILY
See McDougall wants to sell - maybe DB can get Rankine interested in yet another club, if it was anyone else I would feel sorry for their fans but as they are tinks, I wont!

Exclusive
By Gordon Parks
FORMER Hibs skipper Gary Smith last night claimed he has been knifed in the back in a family carve-up.

Cowdenbeath chairman Gordon McDougall this week appointed son-in-law Brian Welsh as the Central Park's club new boss.

But player-coach Smith insists McDougall told him just hours earlier that the job - vacated by Mixu Paatelainen last month - was his.

And Smith told Record Sport McDougall said his reason for changing his mind was he wanted to give Welsh a chance to take the team before he walked away from the club.

Smith said: "I went for an interview last Monday and that night received a phone call from the chairman offering me the job.

"One of the conditions was that Brian was to be my assistant so I asked Gordon for two days to think things over.

"When I called him back to accept the offer he told me he wanted Brian to be manager.

"Gordon then said he was planning to sell the club and it would be his last chance to give Brian the opportunity to be manager of a senior club.

"It was clear then I'd need to leave as it would have been an embarrassment to be sitting in the same dressing room with Brian as manager as we both knew what happened.

"People have been claiming I spat the dummy and left because I didn't get the job so I wanted the truth to come out.

"I've tried to establish a reputation of being a good professional during the 18 or so years I've been involved in football so to hear these things is disappointing.

"I think it's wrong that a chairman should be putting his family before the interests of the club as I was confident I would have done a good job."

McDougall said: "There are elements of truth to what Gary is saying but it would be wrong for me to go into chapter and verse over what happened.

"He felt he had a chance of getting the job so obviously he's disappointed and has aired a private matter in this way.

"As far as selling the club goes, it's more about moving it on and it may happen in a year or two but again that will be a family matter."

Re: Nepotism at Cowdenbeath

Derrick Brown arrives back at Central Park, Cowdenbeath plunged into crisis. Coincidence?