Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Attendance

I think an explanation is needed regarding how the crowds are counted at Bayview. Yesterday the crowd was officially 625, if the home end holds nearly 1000 then where were the 375 empty seats? This has become a bit of a puzzle to many, but I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation

Re: Attendance

We should be promoting the fact that crowds are up.There was certainly more than the figure quoted for yesterdays game.

There were certainly at least two rows cordened off athe sea end and course corporate like myself cannot be counted due to the nature of our exalted position, eh Liam?

The official attendance figure cannot be accurate. There was hardly a spare seat in the home end. One of Jim Corstorphine's photos confirms this.

I intend to raise this matter at the meeting tomorrow evening. The stewards had difficulty finding seats for the late comers. If the Club want help from the supporters re boosting the attendances they will have to be honest with the figures.

Good on you Jim. I thought we were past the days of knocking a couple of hundred off the attendance figures. I know that this has financial implications, but when the SPL2 wannabes look at the crowd figures in the Sunday papers they must look at East Fife and lump them in with the living dead like East Stirlingshire and Albion Rovers. Declaring a reduced attendance is belittling East Fife.

I think that it needs to be addressed Jim. The crowds are up this year by quite a bit and people are coming back that have been in the woodwork for years. The figures simply don't match up.

Any answer to this one? Dave Marshall should be able to get it sorted surely?

The club is hardly going to come out and say the figures have been a joke.

We can only hope that they start reporting the real crowd figures from now on.

The club should also make sure that no "dead beats" get through the players and officials door. This "free" route has been used for ages by some in the know. The last regime were aware but apparently took no action because of the cost implications.
I know! I know!

Never knew this. Let's hope that this practice is brought to an end as soon as possible.

Possibly at the next home game v. Berwick in the cup Jim Corstorphine could take pictures of each section of the stand and then we could possibly then be able to count how many people are in the stadium. If Jim could then put the pictures on aftn.

I personally checked the turnstyle counters this week and brought No3 back into operation.There is no"altering" of the attendance figures going on.We know that a fair number enter uncounted such as corporate,directors etc but that does not appear to account for the differance between the counted and perceived crowd.We are keen to show that our crowds have increased and are determined to solve the above mentioned discrepancy.

The crowd figure should include all spectators in the stadium including directors, injured players, players that are not selected, corporate hospitality, hangers-on and not just spectators that go through the turnstile.

In the know 2

You are entirely correct and this is being addressed.It is essential that the police and emergency services have an accurate figure in order to do their job.To carry out an accurate count a certain amount of "invasion" is almost certainly required which can cause irritation to some.However, you are all correct and we need to come up with the answer.

Dave do the players not get complimentary tickets for family members? Don,t get me wrong I think they are entitled to them.

Paying Fan

They do but with limits.

What do you mean limits ? Dave

Two each perhaps.They don't all use them every week of course.

I believe the players comps,all go through the season ticket turnstile.These will be included in the total of 625 yesterday.

I was at the end section of the "home" end and there were not much seats left. I was surprised by the official attendance. However, one of the stewards said there were only around 20 in the Elgin end, but with the home end almost full there must have been more the 625!!!

Isn`t it great that we are debating that the home end was nearly full.
Compared to last season at this time,this is bloody great!!

Yes it is great to be discussing the home end being nearly full. It is equally good news that Dave Marshall has replied, good communication always goes a long way to dispel the 'conspiracy theorists' that abound on this website.

Sorry Dave youre wrong regarding players getting 2 tickets, my mate plays, and he tells me they only get 1 ticket each. A bit tight on the clubs side, the only club I,m aware of, that only give first squad players 1 ticket.

Always believed it to be two for the first team.

Empty seats in the away stand

A work collegue of mine was at his first game for years on saturday & loved it. He thought it was an exciting game & was surprised at the size of the crowd. Without any prompting from me he thought there was close on 1000 at the game!!! "Very few empty seats at the home end"

I asked the question re Saturday's attendance fugure at the Bayview meeting last night although this was not really the right place to do it.
However Dave Marshall stepped in on behalf of the club as always to give his version of the situation as he knows it.
The turnstiles are zeroed after each game and Leona takes the readings when the gates are closed around 3-20pm. The total figure for the game on Saturday was 625.
Dave also said that things are still being looked at in all areas since the departure of DB and the procedures re entry to the ground will be one of them.
All I can say to the above without pointing a finger at anybody and making allowances for the cordoned off seats at the front there is something wrong with the system.
I always look at the figures at other games, over 1,000 at Montrose on Saturday.
We are striving through advertising to get increased attendance figures and we need to see the rewards of our efforts. Nothing will deflate us more than looking at Saturday's questionable figure.

Someone must know (or be able to find out) exactly how many seats are available for home supporters to sit in (just a case of counting rows and columns).

I'd imagine that the away section takes up least 400-500, if not more. Where is the actual split between home and away?

Totally agree with Jim. One of the rewards for a successful team is increased revenue through the gates.
We need to promote the fact that we ARE getting bigger crowds and we have to get this remedied ASAP.The difference between the amount quoted and the true attendance is staggering,fair enough if it was 20 or 30,but not 200-300.
Surely it can`t be that difficult to account for the number of people coming through the gates.

As I understand it that the home and away sides are identical and have a total of 996x2= 1992.

I returned to Bayview at long last on Saturday, and arrived late with my father at 3.20pm. We struggled to find a seat. I was both amazed and encouraged to find that the home end was so busy.

But only 625? I don't think so. Still, what a good problem to have after all that has gone on in the past couple of years. Onwards and upwards.

Two things spring to mind when reading this thread.

1. Could Jim Corstorphine take a photo of the home support so we could actually see just how full the home end looks.

2. If you were to take one section and have fans sit in every second seat would the section look half full or more than half full.

I get the feeling that the stands would look pretty full when in fact thats not the case

We should do that next game, just to see.
I would say half full, others would probably say half empty...

THE CROWD IN THE HOME END THE LAST 2 HOME GAMES HAS BEEN IMPRESSIVE,
WE MAY EVEN HAVE TO THINK ABOUT OPENING UP PART OF THE AWAY END FOR US.