Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pish, Pish, Pish

What the fuck has happened to us? From a team who were playing good football, creating a lot of chances and scoring goals we have now lost our confidence and abality to play simple football.

Why did we only start with 1 upfront? That invited Berwick onto us from the start and the dominated for long spells. O'Reilly was left to do everything himself. Berwick scored after sumo Haynes scored the penalty.

We played a bit better 2nd half and only started to create more when we changed the system and put men forward.

Our defence was exposed when Wood scored and the 3rd was a sucker punch.

Berwick for the 2nd week in a row outplayed us and wanted it more. It was the Scottish Cup and we didn't seem up for it.

A lot of players need a serious kick up the arse and changes are needed a.s.a.p if we want to win this league.

Today simply wasn't good enough and we must improve.

Re: Pish, Pish, Pish

I agree Joe, it's just as well this wasn't a league game, hopefully this has given the players a good kick up the arse because with the exception of one or two they did not perform well at all today.

I don,t understand Baikies tactics or team selection. Poor O,Reily up front with no support for 60minutes. At least when Smart and Martin came on the pace up front increased and we started to create chances. Hampshire had a nightmare of a game, and should have been replaced long before he was. Ross saved us on a few occasions otherwise the score could have been a lot worse. Also the referee and nearside linesman were total SHOCKING.

I agree too. Really disappointing performance today.

Changes are needed but with so many injuries its not possible to do. We were playing some good football at the start of the season and now we have resorted to punt up the park Jim Moffat style.

We have football players such as Blackadder and Jabba, if only we used them more often and played the simple stuff. We have the players to cause problems but only if we do the simple stuff and knock the ball about.

Hopefully the players will have learned from today but we have to stop this run against Montrose next week.

Playing at home ,with ONE man up front for 60 mins is beyond belief.Were we playing for a draw? so we were still in the cup.3 cup ties this season and we have conceded 3 goals each time.As in the know 2 said last week after the berwick game the squad is very bare and must be strengthend in January.It proves it today.The supporters want 2 see a winning team on the park.

The 4-5-1 system deployed for an hour didn't work but Berwick are a decent side and simply had more desire to win over the piece.
The first half was dreadful but I thought we were better once Bailie changed the formation and brought the subs on. I thought we were the more likely to go on and win once we equalised, but lapses cost us at the death Disappointing, and all the goals were preventable.
Maybe now some players will realise they have to work their socks off and concentrate for the whole 90 minutes. When you're top of the league, every team wants your scalp.

Lets hope lessons are now learned as it's back to league business next Saturday and nothing less than 3 points will satisfy.

Backie has had the plaudits, now he must take the flak. Couldn't believe we played 4-5-1 at home in a Scottish Cup tie ! Surely if you are going to play with only 1 up front then you have to have some pace in the team to support him especially if we are lumping the ball forward rather than playing through midfield. Blackadder has good skill but at times needs to do the simple thing rather tahntrying to be the superstar. Hampshire had a poor game. Neither of these two who were playing wide are ever going to take players on or get to the byline cause they have no pace whatsoever. It is difficult for Backie to change things too much due to injuries, but surely he should have been more adventurous.
We now have a small squad after Mitchell retiring and Davie Ross away to the Juniors. That along with long term injuries to Kelly ansd McDonald and the ever injured Crabbe and Ritchie means he hasn't got a lot to make changes with. More importantly there is no longer healthy competition for places which can lead to complacancy as players know they'll get a game no matter how they play. If Jabba goes to Oz I reckon we need to sign at least four decent, younger players in the transfer window if we are to make a real push for promotion. Let's attack from the start next week and play with a more attacking formation.

I said that last week that some players are not giving 100% because of lack of competition for places, and yet again this week Blackadder comes into this category, how many times did he attempt to be too flash and lose possestion, instead of the simple pass, time for him to experience sitting on the bench. Also give John Martin 90minutes, at least you,ll get pace and 100% comitment.

Martin should start next week.At least his commitment cannot be questioned and he has the pace to run at players.
Baikie blew it big time with his tactics and is now being seen as a fairly negative manager.
A decent crowd today went home questioning why we are top of the league and to be honest we are in a false position at present.
Fair enough make us a hard team to beat,but let`s try and win as well.

4-5-1 was a joke at home and only Baikie knows why he employed these tactics.

Totally agree, Martin and Craig Smart should be back in the first eleven next week. Out goes Hampshire and Blackadder.

Bayviewboy

I agree with you about the team, but East Fife have a number of younger players out on loan to junior clubs and they are doing very nicely, has anyone thought they might do a job!!

What about the so called EXPERIENCED PLAYERS Baikie brought in, Crabbe, Ritchie, Mitchell, Dair. They are iether out injured, retired, or playing unfit. Did we not expect this at the start of the season.

What about ? - I think it would be unfair to bring these young lads in. I meant bringing in 25 - 28 year olds who have a bit of experience, energy, enthusiasm and skill rather than 35 + year olds who are forever on the treatment table !!

How negative were Baikie's tactic today. Playing 4-5-1 at home against a similar standard team and playing the high ball to O'Reilly at every oppertunity was totally the wrong way to play. I have witnessed some of the best passing play I have seen at Bayview for a long time. Why revert to the high ball now? Baikie has to seriously think about positive tactics for the rest of the season. Martin should have been on from the start. We played with five in midfield and none of them were wingers and even at that Berwick were first to 90% of the balls.

agree with most of the comments re commitment, etc, but in saying that the stand side linesman bottled out giving us the advantage when O'reilly was brought down by the last defender when the score was 1-1. Should have been a straight red, but between him and the "wee boy" who was ref, we didn't get many decisions. Might not had too much effect on the result but we seemed to lose heart after that. The second and third goals for them were caused by crap defending.

overherd berwick manager sayin thanks to the ref n shakin his hand mmmmmmmmmmmmm mind boggles eh

Again yesterday never looked too good at all first half but neither were Berwick. Could have been a bit more positive formation mind you. I hope this is just a bit of a sticky spell that we'll come out of next week. Now for the ref, what a fecking disgarce, him and the stand side linesman should be ashamed at their display.

QUEENS PARK FC NUMBER 1 WE ARE GONNY BEAT YOZ THE MORRA YA BAMS U R SHIITE BLACKLADDER IS GAY

Crawl back into you slum ya poor excuse for a weeggie

Wow, what a horrible insult from the ever-so-polite-throw-you-out-our-stadium-for-swearing-and-looking-like-you're-trying-to-create-an-atmosphere queen.

Now, pop off to your lovely big stadium and think for 10 mintues about all the things you have won over the years. For the other 9 minutes and 45 seconds, trying getting yourself a life.

Ta ta

hold on Kerrian I believe QP is right, Blackladder is gay - but fortunately he doesnt play for us

I find it rather disappointing that a famous old club like Queen's Park, a football institution with a fantastic history, a club that used to be so very well respected in the game we all love, can have attracted such a moronic support in the modern day as illustrated on this thread.
Buy a programme tomorrow - you can read all about the famous Queen's Park player R.S.McColl, who would have been horrified at the antics of the club's present day supporters.
I've been at several Queen's Park v East Fife matches in recent times and been extremely disappointed at the behaviour of their supporters. I even had to complain to the club a couple of years ago when a 'Spiders' supporter shouted out during a minute's silence before the match (I did, however, receive an official apology from the club).
Oh, how Queen's Park must cringe at the behaviour of their fans in the modern day.