Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
All Time East Fife XI - Right Back

Having selected the goalie, it's now time to bolster the defence in front of him.

And we're going to start with the selection of right back.

REMEMBER, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A PLAYER YOU'VE SEEN WHO GETS YOUR VOTE(S), IT'S WHO, FROM YOUR KNOWLEDGE, YOU FEEL DESERVES IT MOST.

Voting has changed.

I need you to vote for your top three right backs of all time. List your number one choice first etc.

All first choices will score 3 points, second choices 2 points and third choices 1 point. In the event of a tie, the player with the greatest number of first choices will be selected.

The weighting has changed too. Any player whose career was primarily over 40 years ago will score double points (so 6, 4 or 2).

Hope that makes as much sense in writing as it does in my head!

So who will make it into the side? Will it be a traditional right back or will a right sided multi role player make it? It's all up to you guys, so vote now

Re: All Time East Fife XI - Right Back

My top three choices are:

1st - Willie Laird (read about his career and medal haul HERE. That does it for me!)

2nd - Dave Clarke (for his service to the Club and footballing brain)

3rd - Bobby Stirrat (again for his services to the Club)

1st: Willie Laird
2nd: Bobby Stirrat
3rd: Tommy Fitzpatrick

Was Davie Clarke right-back ? I thought he was left back ?

'afore my time

I think he played right back most, but also played in the central defence at times in the 70s. Stand to be corrected though!

1. Davie Clarke
2. Willie Laird
3. Don Emery

1. Davie Clark (reason will be explained when I pick a left back!!)

2.Stevie Kirk (I know but may be the only chance he gets in this team!!)

3. Tom Conner (Unsung hero of mine who got on with the job!!)

I know there may be more but going on players I have seen

Davie Clark.

Davie played right back then sweeper, I also stand to be corrected.

Dougie Soutar for me

Dave Clarke's best position was always centre-back/sweeper, hence I'm waiting until those positions come up before I vote for him. Tough one this, lots of solid reliable types from the last 40 years but nobody instantly springs to mind. So reputation here counts for my number 1 choice:

1. Willie Laird
2. Tom Connor
3. Bobby Duncan

If he's a right back and due to several fans telling me he was the best full back never to get a cap, I'll go for Dave Clark at right back even though I never saw him play.

1. Laird
2. Clarke
3. Stirrat

Davie Clarke 3
Bob Stirrat 2
Bobby Duncan 1

1 DAVIE CLARKE
2 BOB STIRRAT
3BOBBY DUNCAN
sorry .cancel 1st post.

1 Tommy Fitzpatrick (Have to vote for my Grandad... )
2 Davie Clarke
3 Willie Laird

Should stop proof reading, my amemded vote.

Davie Clark 1
Bobby Duncan 2
Tom Conner 3

1st. Willie Laird -cultured

2nd Don Emery -large Welshman with an unstoppable penalty kick

3rd Bob Stirrat-dependable

bobby stirrat for me. I can recall him chasing big john hughes all over the park and not letting have a kick at the ball when we beat celtic 2-0 in the first leg of a league cup final back in the early 60s. Typical of the 100% he always gave.

1. Dave Clarke (born is the king of Bayview Park)
2. Tom Connor (affectionately known as Deso)
3. Doug Soutar

1. Bob Stirrat
2. Dave Clarke
3. Tom Connor

1] Davie Clarke
2] Tom Connor
3] Willie Laird

Davie Clarke

Dave Clarke is my choice for right fullback, but then its probably a generation thing.

1. Dave Clark (for the same reason given by Mikey Gill)
2. Tom Connor (because he was in the team that got me hooked on East Fife)
3. Graham Bell (because I've worked with him)

I remember Tom Connor. He was not a bad player. But he was with East Fife for only three seasons. A good season in the First, then relegation, then a grim season in the basement. He didn't play senior football before or after his time with East Fife.

We have had some remarkable players at right back. How Tom Connor makes the top three is beyond me.

1) Bob Stirrat
2) Dave Clarke ( I remember him more as a sweeper but still an all time great)
3) Bobby Duncan

Tom Connor
Dave Clarke
Bobby Duncan

I remember Clarkie more as as a sweeper too (GOF - can one player be included for multiple positions as this looks pretty likely to happen in this instance?)

1st Dave Clarke
2nd Steve Kirk
3rd Ronnie McIver

Brilliant. Tom Connor ahead of Davie Clarke. Anyone for Kenny Munro?

People can vote for players in as many positions as they want. So if someone votes for Davie as right back they can also vote for him as centre half.

Would hope that if a player is in the team in one position already though then they wouldn't be voted in again in another position! But that's up to you guys.

To give you a heads up on the centre half positions for two weeks time. Going to have you vote for your 1,2 and 3 and the two with the most votes will be the heart of the defence.

Anyone for Kenny Monro? Me! Me! Me!Please.

There's only one Bobby Stiratt

3)Davie Clarke
2)Ronnie McIver
1)Tom Connor

W.Laird

1. Bob Stirrat
2. Eric Brodie
3. Doug Souter

1.Dave Clark.Brill servent to our club.
2.Tam Conner.One ov my favs at the time.
3.Jim Scott.This guy made Wullie Broon look like a pansey.Signed from Dunfermline,he looked like a pocket sized Desperate Dan than a fitba player.A think in iz first 3 games,he wiz sent aff twice.He'd be ma "hatchet man" o the team.

Davie Clark, although I remember him best as a sweeper, but if he's going to make the team I will have to vote for him, great servant to the club playing and managing.

(I also thought Tom Connor did a great job, especially when you take into account the travelling he had to do.)

Looks like Clarkie will in at right-back, a shame as I always thought his lack of pace often exposed him in that position. I would have him in as sweeper in a 3-5-2 formation alongside, well, I'll wait till the centre backs nominations come up.

My number 1 is Dave Clarke followed by Bobby Duncan and thirdly by Bob Stirrat.

PS I thought Ron McIvor played all his games in midfield, the old right half position.

Memory failing you Jock? Ron McIvor started off as a right back & only moved into midfield in the latter part of his time at Bayview.

this is more like it, a bit of debate. blair public I agree clarkie could be skinned at full back and was a stronger player at sweeper. i don't remember ronnie mcivor ever playing in midfield. he played right back all the way through 1978-79. after that the memory darkens

toc why you copying my selections.????

willie laird

Well my memory is dodgy too, but I remember Ron McIvor starting circa 72/73 in midfield moving to right back later. He was a great attacking player on his day from that position.

Sinagoga sam's point is valid but I'm basing my opinion on players I have seen.

There may have been better players but i'm not qualified (or old enough!!) to pass judgement.

Maybe too late to suggest this but there will be fans who cannot internet vote & would be a good thing to get as many votes as possible.

Maybe could have a sheet printed 1 to 11 with 5 subs available on match days. the votes could then be totaled to get the ultimate All Time East Fife team.

Then maybe a wee presentation night with some sort of momento (Posthumous or whatever)& a wall of fame in the lounge.

Know it will be a lot of work but what do others think!!

Post on another thread if you want to keep this free for the Voting?

Missed the goalie vote, bugger...

Old enought to remember Davie Clark (just) so he gets my vote. Also went on a works night out years ago at the Cavendish in Edinburgh with Bertie Miller's wife, and Davie bought me a pint and blethered about East Fife for ages with me. Top bloke IMO.

3. Bobby Duncan
2. Doug Soutar
1. Ron McIver
Clarkie was sweeper as far as I'm concerned

Mike

It's funny you should say that! Working on something just now that will expand this beyond AFTN.

Basic gist will be to get AFTN readers to narrow it down to a top three for each position and then get a wider vote from the net, in person and post.

Should be all finalised by end of the week and all will be revealed!

If it all works out, it's going to be really exciting!

if it doesn't then we still have the AFTN team

I remember Davie Clarke playing left back for us, but I want him to be in the team, so he gets my vote for right back. A great servant to the club and I think he was an extremely good player.

1 - Davie Clarke
2 - Bobby Stirrat
3 - Jim Scott

1 Dave Clarke
2 Ron Macivor
3 Tom Conner

As East Fife's all time record appearance holder, it is fitting that Davie Clarke should be in the team. Also a great manager for the club.
I was thinking about the concept of an all time East Fife XI. Surely the best players (and internationalists) were in the post war team, and how can we, the internet generation, fairly compare a Robert Scott or an Arnold Dwarika to a Henry Morris or Charlie Flening.
May be a bit late in the day to alter the rules, but it might be more respectable to consider this a post 70's team.

Ritchie has a good point, it's early days and it might not be too hard to change course a little on this and select two different teams, a post 70s side (Marshall is already voted in and Clarkie looks like being selected at right back) whilst a pre-70s/classic side would have Niven in goal (highest votes for pre-70s keeper) and Laird at right back for the same reasons.

We could maybe just alter it slightly so that you make up to 3 selections for each era, but in the same week, what does everyone think?

Not had time to update this yet as at work at the mo, but will consider this tonight before launching the left back slot.

Good idea to possibly have the 2 teams and takes away problems around the weighting factor.

If I'm not too late I'll go for Davie Clark then Tom (Deso) connor. I don't think there have been many right-backs that have stayed for more than a couple of seasons since these guys.

Left back slot will be going up later tonight.

And the result of this one too.

Not had much chance to sort this out over the weekend but soon

Are we moving on to left back(s) then and going for both an all time post-70s and pre-70s sides?

i know this might be too late but for what it's worth

1st choice - Willie Laird
2nd choice - Davie Clarke
3rd choice - there isn't one. no one else comes close to laird and clarke

clarke
laird
stirrat