Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
EAST FIFE boss Dave Baikie “gutted”

From the Courier...

EAST FIFE boss Dave Baikie said he was “gutted” after the Methil men were dumped out by Berwick Rangers.

And he blasted referee Alan Boyd for turning down what he believed was a clear penalty five minutes from the final whistle.

That, stated Baikie, was enough to turn the game on its head and allowed Berwick to score two in the final two minutes and secure their place in the second round.

The visitors took the lead in 35 minutes through a penalty when Tom Courts felled David Greenhill just inside the box.

Kevin Haynes stepped up and fired the ball home from the spot, sending keeper Iain Ross diving the wrong way.

The Fifers were on top for much of the second half and pulled one back in 72 minutes thanks to a solo effort from Neil Jablonski.

But the Bayview boys’ confidence ebbed away when Craig O’Reilly appeared to be pulled down in front of goal and the referee failed to point to the spot.

Despite protests from players and fans, play was waved on and Berwick took advantage of the Fifers’ disappointment and an error by Craig Smart, who misjudged a defensive header, to allow Gary Wood to slot the ball past the keeper.

Just seconds from full time, substitute Dennis McLaughlan sealed the points when he fired home from 18 yards.

A disappointed Baikie said, “I’m absolutely gutted for my players.

“The first-half performance was a bit flat, but there was nothing between the teams.

“I don’t think anybody would argue that in the second half we dominated the game for 35 or 40 minutes—we took the game to them and got into it.

“Then there was an incident for which a penalty should have been given. It was there for the whole stadium to see. That turned the whole game upside down for us.

“The referee made a decision that has dumbfounded everybody and we deserve better. But my final words to the players were that the positive is now we can focus on the league and start again next week.”

Re: EAST FIFE boss Dave Baikie “gutted”

"Dennis McLaughlan sealed the points"

Top class reporting on a Scottish Cup tie!!!!!!

I've absolutely no idea where this stonewall penalty claim has come from.
The poor decision by the referee was to refuse us a free-kick a full two or three yards outside the penalty area...

"error by Craig Smart, who misjudged a defensive header"

Wrong Smart!!

Wrong tactics!

Angus I couldn't agree with you more, that tackle was never inside the box. We shouldn't be looking to win games by getting decissions from the ref we should win games by our own endeavours. And as for the manager being gutted well let me tell you he's not the only one, ask any fife fan and they too are gutted by the performance

Baikie is putting up a smokescreen here. He has had two opportunities to put out a team capable of beating Berwick Rangers, and his team has lost home and away in the space of eight days. That's nothing to do with a weak penalty claim.

Does he not remember that East Fife were awarded a soft penalty at Shielfield - and missed it!

The penalty down at Berwick wasn't a soft one - I got a photo of that as well!!