Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
O/T Beatles - Love

Best purchase I have made this year.

Re: O/T Beatles - Love

Better than your Rovers season ticket?

Better than your king-sized mirror?

Very hurtful, Eugene.

p.s. Stand out tracks for me

12 Blackbird/Yesterday
13 Strawberry Fields Forever
14 Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows

Turn off your mind, relax
and float down stream
It is not dying
It is not dying

Yassss!..

What makes these versions better than the originals?
Serious answers only please as I'm decuidingnwhether or not to buy.

I would give you a serious answer if I knew what you were wanting! What does the following mean:-

'decuidingnwhether'

Well it's you're own personal taste that decides which versions are better.

I suppose the fact that George Martin did the production helps to keep it from being a Jive Bunny-esque album?

I just really liked the way that he did it. The intro is Blackbird and then it's into Yesterday without noticing the change.

Then you have the vocals to Within You Without You but with the music to Tomorrow Never Knows, which I think works.

They have stripped Strawberry Fields right back to the vocals (bit like Let It Be... Naked, I suppose)

He's done Sun King but got them singing it backwards.

Nice wee touches here and there with snippets of songs helping to bind two or more songs together.

Also, the £15 copy has a surround sound version for the dvd (sound only) which would be amazing if I had surround sound.

I'm not really doing it justice and I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I have lay (!) two nights in a row on ma bed with the headphones on in pitch black and thought that it was brilliant.

I wish there was an edit button.

You're instead of your.

Dear dear.

Know what you mean.
Some folk on this site are awfy quick to pick up on literals.

Sounds good.

Tomorrow Never Knows is my favourite Beatles track, followed by Strawberry Fields.

Must check it out at some point.

Cards on the table first, I am a Beatles fanatic, I have more Beatles CDs than most people have probably heard of etc etc. I am quite a sad case really.

So, from that perspective, my feeling is that "Love" is maybe a 3 out 5 job. Jonathon is right (it happens) - TNK-WYWY is the best track, spine-tingling, and there are some other clever ideas and neat tricks too.

But ... there is maybe too much hear that is too close to what we know already, particularly if "Anthology" is included. The "clarity", 5.1 etc argument is for hi-fi anoraks.

Worth having for completeness, but buy the real thing (or even "1") first.

[Also, buy the Rutles albums - but that's a different story - how cool would it have been to have mixed in some of that]

I bought it for my brother's Christmas but a sneak preview before wrapping it (as you do).
I wasn't overly impressed. Some of the tracks sound as if they've simply shifted the balance from one speaker to the other...

Stu the Blue. I have obviously ersed it.

Take it back to the shop.

You can hear it here. All you need to do is register your email address.

http://www.thebeatles.com/hub/love/site/