Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Today's Game

3 important points for us and Queens Park dropped points.

Was good to see Kev Gordon gettin on the score sheet and will give him a lift which he needs. John Martin again played really well when he came on don't know what else he needs to do before he gets a start.

Dair was disappointing but the injuries are clearing up and Baikie now has more players to choose from.

Bring on Queens Park!!

Re: Today's Game

Martin's problem is surely that he is an impact player? He can run around like a headless chicken for the last 20 minutes, which he did today to good effect. If started he can't go at it like that for the full game?

or can he?

Bit harsh calling him a headless chicken, don't you think? His pace is a real threat but his crossing needs improving.

He hassles defenders and never gives them any threat. Not sure about doing it for the full 90 minutes but we will never see what he can do unless he gets a chance, he deserves one though dont you think?

Superb goal by Kevin Gordon. He was receiving some stick from so-called 'supporters' every time he touched the ball, even when he held on to the ball after collecting it before scoring! He shut them up good and proper with the goal.

Don't know why these whingers bother going to the games??? They just spoil it for others with their constant moaning and bad languauge.

Regarding Martin, when he came on he gave us a lot of width and options and we suddenly had lots of space up front for everyone. Deserves to be on from the start I'd say.

First half today was pretty boring but easy goal for Jabba and could have had a pen. Second half bit better but certainly changed when Martin came on with his fresh legs causing problems on the right for Montrose. It would be good to see Martin getting a start I reckon, and headless chicken is not the best description, maybe Faraday just means he runs tirelessly. Gordons goal was excellent. Hope the confidence has returned now and a win against QP next week would be superb.

Sorry. Headless chicken was tongue in cheek.

I watched today's game as a neutral and thought East Fife did a solid job. I suspect there's a bit more in the tank.

Montrose had their fair share of possession, but East Fife's attacking flair made the difference. Jablonski looked sharp, O'Reilly worked well off him. There's plenty of attacking opportunities as well for the likes of Blackadder and Gordon. Martin made a real pest of himself to the defence when he came on. To a certain extent Montrose's possession helped as Fifers' counter attacking play looked very dangerous.
Defence was solid.

Montrose's manager showed a bit of sharp common sense substituting 14 before he succeeded in his mission to get sent off.

Officials controlled the game well. No I didn't agree with every decsion, but the referee kept good control without waving cards willy-nilly. His booking of Kev Gordon is more a testament to the restrictions applied by SFA rather than any lack of common sense on his own part.

Best Of Luck for the remainder of the season. I think you have every chance of a very successful league season.

Rob

couldn't manage to make todays game, just interested if we went with the 4-5-1 again seeing as we were the home team !, it is alluded to in the previous post saying it suited us to counter attack.

We played 4-4-2 with Jabba up front alongside O'Reilly until Dair was replaced by John Martin midway through the Second Half when Jabba went back to midfield and Martin played alongside O'Reilly.

Like many fans I to wonder what more young John Martin has to do, to be in the starting 11. The same as last week , came on with 30mins left and added a bit of pace and fight to the two games. C,mon Baikie give the lad a chance to show what he can do, I know the opposition defenders hate playing against him. Thought Gordon had a poor game up until he scored, them he played a lot better, good goal!

Not the most exciting of games but one we certainly had to win and with Queens Park and Stenny drawing, a fantastic three points.

Next week and Dumbarton away could set us up very nicely.

Martin was fantastic when he came on, and although I do think he is ideal for coming on with say half an hour to go, he has done enough to merit a start, but instead of who I'm not sure.

Captured both goals on video so just uploading them just now for all to enjoy, either again or for the first time!

Get them posted GOF...

Rab, I bet these same "supporters" were the one's that gave us dog's abuse last season for "not supporting the team"

Rob N, I'm still fairly certain the ref got it wrong in booking Gordon. At the start of the season FIFA and UEFA stated that players would be cautioned if they removed their tops and not if they merely put them over their heads. So why the booking?

As a fan of Kevin Gordon I'm delighted he scored today though I do think this was one of his quieter games. As for John Martin I think his pace is best suited to the last half-hour and until that off-the-ball incident he had their defence in trouble.

An interesting point in the said off-the-ball incident the offender was a guy named Cumming, something John wouldn't have been doing last night!

"An interesting point in the said off-the-ball incident the offender was a guy named Cumming, something John wouldn't have been doing last night!"

I also heard Kev Gordon getting a bit of stick from certain "supporters" strange how you never see these guys at Berwick, Elgin etc...

Surprised we haven't lost at home in the league this season with all the whingers we have.

'I also heard Kev Gordon getting a bit of stick from certain "supporters" strange how you never see these guys at Berwick, Elgin etc...'

He worked hard and even when things went wrong was not frightened to put himself back into the action. Looks a talented and valuable player to me.

Rob

I agree.

Kev Gordon is a good and valuable player for us. His pace is a threat and is dangerous going forward.

His confidence must have been a bit down but would have got a big lift from scoring and shuts the boo boys up so well done Kev . The boo boys then try to find their next player to criticise.

I also heard a shout of "Baikie must go" yesterday! Who are these people?

Freddy Mercury and his pals?

Think I know who you were referring to.

I was sitting a few rows infront of them and the constant slating of the team and management is a disgrace.

BBC News website doesn't list Gordon as having been booked (gives the Montrose players though)

Maybe the ref changed his mind?

I notice that the Sunday Mail has no bookings recorded for East Fife.

I think John Martin suffers in the same way Brian Fairbrairn did for a while. He is so effective as a sub and his pace posses a tired defence so many problems that it is very tempting for a manager just to keep him for the last half hour. I do think he deserves a start though.

I think the problem that John Martin suffers from is he couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo!

?????????????? notice you don,t put your name against your post, maybe worried Martin wouldn,t miss you!

He probably would miss me if he was trying to hit me with the ball.