Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Todays game

Poor first half for us but 2nd half was pulsating and a fantastic top of the table clash. Queens had most of the first half but dont recall Ross having to make a save in the 100 minutes that was played. East Fife created a few good chances and their keeper made a few very good stops and we also had one cleared off the line. Immense performances from J Smart, McGowan, Courts & Jablonski but a great team effort. Thought the officials were biased and inconsistent throughout - how the Queens fans had any complaints is beyond me.

Re: Todays game

Just posted this on P&B, awaiting the response....
Just back from the game & boy was it a nrevous 90 or should I say 98mins.
Firstly QP played the better football but hardly created a chance, the ref was absolutely shocking & the QP fans were great entertainment as usual. Used to think that Plastic Whistle were the most balanced support in Scotland but QP run them a close second! How balanced? Chip on both shoulders!!!
Their players were a disgrace to the good name of their Club. A few wins & they think they're Arsenal! Every decision that went against them, 4 or 5 players surrounded the referee, absolutely pathetic!
We were awful but beat the 2nd place team & we are top of the league. Might not be there at the end but its fun while it lasts.
Rant over & I'll wait for the backlash with interest. No doubt we were dirty, cheating, time wasting, soap dodgers but what the hey... Bring it on!!!

Fantastic 2nd half performance from us today and we could and should have had Queens dead and buried but it wouldn't be East Fife if we didn't make life difficult for ourselves

We panicked a bit at times and conceded possesion but the defence was solid and Ian Ross never had a save to make.

Martin played better I thought when he was moved upfront and Kevin Gordon was superb.

This month was going to show us what we are made of and so far so good. Pity we have to wait 2 weeks before Dumbarton, but if we play the same way against them as we did in the 2nd half today we should win.

Good gritty performance, overall good team performance. I thought J Smart and Courts looked comfortable at the back, still feel Blackadder tries to beat the same player twice, instead of passing after beating them once, but appart from that both he and Jabba good in midfield. Good gritty performance by John Martin up front, took a couple of knocks from their defenders. WELL DONE LADS, KEEP IT UP! Also have to say Gordon put in a good shift and scored yet another good goal.

Thought Jamie McGowan was outstanding today and had Weatherson in his back pocket for most of the game,
well definetly all the 1st half anyway.
Dont even start me on the ref ive seen some bad refs while supporting East Fife but come on he is one of the worst if not the worst.Was so biased.
What about McGowans tackle at the end on the edge of the box when he won all the ball,couldnt beleive he gave that.
Weve another 3 games like this to come this month.
Keep it up lads,we can win this league!

I think all 22 players (+ subs) deserve credit for putting on a great game. They worked their socks off right up to ten past five or whenever it was he finally blew the final whistle.

What a shame the ref seemed intent on spoiling it with an 'everyone look at me' performance (and, as for his cross-eyed linesman - use the white lines as a guide, knob, it's not that difficult!?!).

I felt QP were the best we've faced this season, and were great in the 1st half where our lads did superbly to dig in and keep it level. The goal came at a great time and our performance after that was the stuff of champions.

The game reminded me of the tussles with Morton a few years back, good tempo, good ability, two well-matched teams, there was even some atmosphere in the place for once.

Only criticism of QP was them not giving us the ball back from the throw-in after Jabba's injury. Surprised at Billy Stark's side doing that.

Otherwise, well done both sides.

Enjoyed the game today. The second half was loaded with drama with some great defending from Smart and some good chances being created up front.
Jabba, Smartie and Gordon were immense for us today.
My only moan on an EF front is that Blackadder tries to be flash with every touch he makes and ends up frustrating the other player and fans. There's no doubt he is a talent but he has to use it a bit more smartly.
I couldn't believe the QP fans in the car park after game calling us cheats, were they at the same game?
Laughed like f*ck when the moaning Spiders were confronted by a Fifer with his scarf in the air shouting at them "we are the f*cking people". I know it's usually a blue nose thing but it was funny and had the QP fans bemused.

What a bunch of bad losers and they had the effin ref on their side too for 98 mins. We won deservedely no question. QP created nowt. They played some nice football but also hacked, fouled, kicked, cheated & dived at every opportunity aided and abetted by an absolute fud of a referee who could only be described as a partizan Queens fan. Who was the unwashed Jakey with an Irn Bru top on under his greasy Matelan coat at the end of the game wanting to fight anything not QP????
What a feckin nob.

read the report of today's game on the QP website- quite biased reporting from Guliver, I guess.

Kots - a wee typo in your post. Your wrote "They worked their socks off right up to ten past five".

I think you meant "five past ten".

The longest game of football ever. I noticed that during the 2nd hour of 'injury' time, the referee was frantic whenever the ball left the stadium - calling on a replacement as if his life (savings) depended on it.

Totaly agree about the "look at me" point. He brings the players out early, then delays kick-off until exactly 3pm.

Goes to prove that referees are quite simply, fuds.

Most Queen's Park reports/accounts of games which ended in defeat over the last few years state that Queen's Park played some Brazil 1970 style soccer, hit the bar 40 times and had 10 penalty claims rejected, before the opposition scored a fluke goal, started time wasting in the 2nd minute and held on for an undeserved victory.

What's all this about the Weegie scum in the car park? Never saw anything.

Yes, it was incredibly biased. The word scintilating (spelling???) was used three or four times, and poor little Queen's park had to deal with our brutish long ball game to the big men up front.

I've not seen us much this season, but we don't have the players to punt the ball to, do we?

I had a chat with Jamie McGowan after the game. I said how nervous I was all trough the second half -not that we were hanging on or anything like that - but I always had the feeling QP would steal a point at the death - but Jamie told me the game was the easiest he's ever had to play in and the result was never in doubt!
That's confidence for you. If that's the general feeling in the dressing room then things are looking very, very good indeed!

Just watched k gordons goal what a ball to orielly from smart with the outside of the boot i think he nutmeged there big no 9 as well grear finnish

Maybe a few of you are being a bit harsh on Blackadder. whilst i accept he can be to flashy at times i think that he holds on to the ball until he can see a worthwhile pass rather than just get rid of the ball and probably give away possession. i thought the second half was great to watch against QP but it was great to get the last two games out of the way to open up a gap again.

Have to admit at shouting at Blackadder as well yesterday, when we were in good position late on. Instead of playing the easy ball out wide, so Kevin Gordon could take the ball in to the corner to waste time, he tried to take on the defender and lost out cheaply. That was probably all he did wrong though. I was very impressed to see him tracking back and tackling. He is becoming more the team player and willing to do the spade work that too many flair players think is below them. I think he is a winner and its clear how much it means to him.

Dougie hope...i agree with your comment about Blackadder and the error he made near the end but i still think as i posted earlier he is thinking ahead. i would like to see Jason Dair in is rightful position in midfield where i think he would be an asset. if fit i would like to see Stephen Fortune played in midfield as his running up and down the middle of the field from penalty area to penalty area is something we never seem to have. All the teams we play always seen to have that "spare" man in the middle.

Eric, who would you leave out of midfield to make way for Fortune though?

Joe.. Who would i leave out of midfield? Difficult one but i would reshape the team. whilst i have nothing else than admiration for part time footballers i.e the hours training, absence from work e.t.c.i think sometimes our tactics are wrong. the reason i am saying this is i do not want to criticise any player but i have my doubts in Graig O'Relly,s position on the field. when you play one up front you need a quick and mobile midfield. Do we have that? when Graig gets that long ball knock on who is there? When we play football on the ground running at teams we have more success. i think he would be a good target man in the penalty box with midfield running in e.g Fortune but how often do we have a man on the end of a knock on?

Thanks DHAP somebody that sees it like me. i would also like to see Jason Dair being played in his proper position of midfield

Don't agree Eric but each to their own.

We have only played 1 upfront once this season that was the disaster against Berwick in the Scottish Cup.

I have been really impressed with O'Reilly, although he is tall he is a better player with the ball to feet and shows some nice touches. Jabba has started upfront the last 2 games and moved back into midfield in the 2nd with Martin moving upfront.

I think Martin is more influential playing upfront as his pace causes a lot of problems.

Everyone is now fully fit apart from Greg McDonald who is going to be a huge asset for us when he returns but Baikie now has a lot of players available and competition for places is tough again.

I think Courts and Jabba have been excellent all season in centre midfield so Fortune will find it hard to get back in the team. Dair is also going to find it hard to get back in with Kevin Gordon flying just now and Blackadder has the abilty and confidence to skip past players.

Not forgetting the likes of Paul Doyle, Paul Ritchie, Paul Hampshire and Gary Kelly who will all want back in the team. Decisions decisions

Joe - funny old game football and as you rightly said every one to their own. As well as Blackadder we agree we are better ball on the ground and you rightly mentioned John Martin who can run at people. I just think we lack people to pick up the loose balls. Jabba is good, i,ve always been impressed with Gordon. Maybe we have players who can perform similar roles so why not hve them on the bench and instead of changing the formation twenty minutes from the end why not just freshen it up?

heard on sat that courts will now be suspended for a couple of games.

Seem to be a lot of 'expert pundits' on this thread. I would say that Dave Baikie has infinitely more knowledge on all aspects of the game and HIS players than any of you. We won 1-0 on Saturday against a good side. They may have been prettier than us at times, but they never really threatened our goal seriously. We, on the other hand created several chances and our defense was rock solid. How about giving credit for a change instead of analysing who didn't play well or mad a mistake, etc, etc etc?

This is great.
We are getting excellent posts about the game played and the players taking part instead of the politics (which was of course necessary at the time).
Good to see.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game - though at times it felt like two. I thought the Spiders would pinch a goal, but they never really made any clear cut chances. Bearing in mind they played during the week, they certainly did not fade in the second half.

The emotion at the end of the game had my 6 year old wondering what was going on.
I wish Smith would move up a little quicker to support the midfield, but he had a really sound match.
Great entertainment.

The inconsistency of the ref was a little hard to take. Is Courts, or anyone else, out of Dumbarton match?