Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Terracing Campaign

What did the club say about putting in some terracing for atmosphere? Im convinced fans could raise a few thou if it was going to get us some simple terracing

Re: Terracing Campaign

It'd take more than a few grand though........

How much would it take does anyone know ? Something simple like at Peterhead or even Forfar ? Surely material could be used from the Power Station too...?

Does Peterhead have terracing?

Alloa have made a nice wee new coo shed behind one of the goals. Wouldn't cost that much would it?

I think this is a non starter, do you have any idea how many rules, regulations, test cetificates ect are involved in building something that will be used buy joe puyblic to ensure their safty, bet you wont get much change from £100,000 for a small (6 to 10 steps)terracing at one end of the ground.

Far better to keep the investment for another stand across fro the existing one IMO.

Another stand could be put in after the terracing if we ever need it. Teracing is needed most to generate an atmosphere even if it's 3 steps in front of a breeze block wall the length of the park. Im sure Im not alone in thinking new Bayview is pish and depressing. Away games are much better. Im also sure the players would welcome the prospect of support/singing coming from more than one side.

I see Ayr are also putting in terracing as part of their new stadium. They realise they dont want a cold soul less stadium like ours and others.

I fully back calls for terracing at Bayview, but one other thing to consider is the state of our existing stand, some seats have been condemned and many parts are rusting with the sea air, for a stadium so young it's bad news, will we have to move/rebuild from scratch in the near future? I wouldn't shed a tear for New Bayview, but the money for a replacement would need to come from somewhere.

Has anyone from the club made any comments on terracing, or indeed the crumbling state of New Bayview? I'm sure these matters are being talked about but maybe a wider consultation is needed?

The problem with the seating isn't a huge one and the problems we have with being so close to the sea certainly aren't so great we'd ever have to move.
One point worth considering, though, is that we wouldn't have the same maintenance costs with terracing as we do with seating.
Seats become brittle through exposure to sunlight and, whilst the seats in the present stand are always in the shade, the same couldn't be said for the seats that would be in a stand on the opposite side of the ground. Personally, I'm all for terracing.

Isn't the stand roof a bit fecked too though?

No one can fail to notice that sections of the seats at the home end have been roped off and that more and more seats in other areas are being taken out of use.I check the seating weekly and am finding that the corrosion problem is becoming exactly that.We are reaching the point where I would say that up to 40% of the home end seats are in an advanced state of corrosion.As with all corrosion the further advanced it is the faster it's rate becomes.

Today I was in touch with the company who manufacture the seats and they will be arriving soon to give us their professional advice on the way we can best solve the problem.On receipt of this advise we can then begin a repair or replacement programme.

As your safety will always be our main concern the club may have to take the decision to change over the home and away ends of the ground.The problems in the away end are minor and would be repaired before any switch.We are well aware that any move may be unpopular with our fans and any decision to do this would be taken with this fully in mind.Any move would also be as short as the repairs allowed.

The way our season is going I sense that in the early months of 2007 that we are going to need all our installed seating available for use and a switch may be the only way to achieve this.The club will appreciate your help and understanding in this matter and welcome your opinions and comments.

Cheers.

Davie, just a suggestion but I see shape of the perspex screens at either end of the stand leave the seats quite open to the elements (they are just for show!) Maybe if they were more functional, and enclosed the end better, it would help to keep out the salty air?

If a switch is needed to give all the home support a seat then it needs to happen, you cant have say 950 EF fans turning up at a game but only 6/700 seats available.

I presume that with Stadia you dont get a NHBC style guarantee?

Maybe the club could look at a sponsorship scheme for new seats where folk buy a seat for whatever sum and their name, or the name of someone they have bought in memory of is put on for say 10 years when it will need replaced again. Could even work for commercial companies who could advertise on the new seats.

Maybe the club should complain to the company they 'bought' the stadium from .......

Re Salty Seadogs point;

I;ve thought this as well, why on earth wasn't a fully glazed end put on the stand when it was built?

It's not like you'd need to see out of it, and it would keep the draughts down/keep the seats a bit drier. If the rain's blowing in off the sea the first half a dozen rows are completely exposed.

and might even improve the atmosphere a bit. Bit worrying the state of the stand already mind.

Re. the terracing, I feel we need something even if it is behind a goal and preferably covered. I can hear the arguments saying we can't even fill what we've got so why expand, but that's irrelevant in my book . We need to be ambitious off the park as well as on it (and if we ever get the old firm or an Edinburgh club in the cup I don't want to play in Kirkcaldy thank you). Basically we need a ground that looks like a proper stadium, though I get the feeling that if we ever do expand a new stand will come before terracing.

It is fantastic to think of the conversations we are having now compared with a few months ago. Who would have thought we would be talking about positive things like expansion of the ground and capacity crowds? To put in terracing behind one or both of the goals would surely take away some of the parking spaces. Would that mean we would have to create more on the power station side? If so then that would be added expense. My vote would be for a 5 step terracing all the way around. This would be better for the atmosphere than just behind one goal. We do have a positive thinking board and if/when we get promotion then surely our home fan base will increase to the thousand plus mark are currently our stand is struggling to cope with 700.

Whilst I am a bit of a traditionalist myself, we have to move with the times, and if East Fife are to move up more than one division it is seat's we will require not terracing. So if we require to be more ambitious then it is a second stand that we need to build. As for atmosphere, it's the supporter's in the ground that create the atmosphere, not whether they are sitting or standing. I thought Saturday's second half atmosphere was excellent, however it took a seige mentallity to finally get us supporting the team, thinking that the Ref was against us! Why can't we do this every week.

I think it would be great to get a bit of terracing behind the goals, like they have at Forthbank, there's no reason why you can't have that as well as more seats elsewhere (apart from money right enough) but i'd say terracing was the priority, I do believe standing generates a better atmosphere, just look at old Bayview compared to todays ground. It's not like we are on the verge of promotion to the SPL either, yet anyway

My ideal scenario would be a 1000-seater stand for opposite the existing one, to bring us up to 3000 seats (in the event that SPL 2 ever arrives)

This was the original intention anyway, it could be used for away supporters.

Then have a small covered terrace at the sea end, no more than 10 steps high.

If the club were willing to spend to do this, then I'm sure they could extend the car park at the same time.

Oh well, bring on the lottery tonight.......

This is all pipe dream stuff like but surely a decent stand behind the goal and the remaining being 3-4 steps of terracing would be ideal.

L-shaped seating and L-shaped terracing.

Then you could stand the length of the park and behind the goal (or 'sit' on the opposite sides if you want). For the forward thinkers that'd raise the seating capacity to a decent, ambitious level and with terracing, make Bayview a football stadium again with a bit of soul. Let's face it we're not going to be a SPL side any time soon and need to attract new and old fans back to a pleasant football viewing experience.

As stated before, sitting in the cold down by the sea, facing a wall is shit and uninspiring. Also, anyone knows that huddled supporters on the terracing are much more inclined to sing than those parked on their arses.

The idea of swapping the home and away ends - both sides are identical in size so surely this could be done permanently?
I certainly wouldn't have a problem with such a move and I can't see anyone objecting at all to a permanent re-arrangement.
After all, we've moaned (at least I have) since the ground was opened that we were at the cold side.
Only problem I can forsee would be with the coach parking area, but surely that could be re-arranged as well without too much trouble?

copy and paste this link to see how new bayview could look .

East Fife F.C. by Will Faichney

this is quicker

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=9cd31a4f6a4a91d14bb0d39eb4855cea

Aye right

Maybe when we've qualified for Europe.........