Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rod 'The Scotsman' Stewart??

Anyone see old Rod blasting out the E*****h national anthem with pride last night on the BBC!

He should not be let into Hampden again!

Re: Rod 'The Scotsman' Stewart??

I wouldn't do it myself, but he is british after all!

Why does he pretend to be Scottish anyway?

There isn't an English national anthem Vander

Why don't English international sporting sides adopt Morris dancing as a "national anthem", sort of like the All Blacks with the Haka, i'm sure the sight of guys like Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney skipping about with their hands behind their backs and bells tied to their legs would be enough to strike fear into even the toughest of opponents. They could even use "Crouchy" as the pole!

I'm not anti-English but there's no way I'd sing God Save the Queen (I take it that's what he sung) because:

a) It IS the English anthem. I had to endure it twice during the play-offs with England home and way.

b) It pays homage to the Queen. (I am anti-monarchy of any nationality - British, Commonwealth, English, Scottish, Norwegian...whatever)

c) It is used by Rangers fans as a sectarian tool

d) 1
God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen 1.

Although in the original lyrics, verses 4–6 are now generally omitted—partly to reduce the length of the anthem and partly due to the "rebellious Scots to crush" line in verse six:

Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world o'er.

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

F**k Rod Stewart.
(although the Faces stuff is great)

I like the tune (ironically it's German) and "Rule Britannia" always brings tears to my eyes on LNOTP night.

Let's Not Open The Post?

Look, Never Opt To Pass?

Listen, Naughty Owls Trail Possums?

Lager Never Oozes That Pure?

Nope, am stuck!

It's not ironic if the Royals are German.

Little Numpties Organise Terrible Patriotism

onywho is it 'of' or 'at' ???????

Verily it is the official national anthem of the United Kingdom. Verse 4 doth expresses the same sentiments as 'a mans a man for a that' by the Burns chappie and I suspect the authors was inebriated by the time he got to write the rebellious scots to crush bit.

Myself I think the Roderick should be in the tower for sins against fashion rather than singing a song hoping an rich elderly lady gets saved by the good lord. Those pantaloons went out with open sewers. (Cowdenbeath does not apply in this context)