Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife 1 - 1 Stenny

Gutted :(

Re: East Fife 1 - 1 Stenny

Aye we should have had that. Looked solid without playing well, then O'Reilly and Martin came on. We scored immediately, could (should!!!) have finished the game. Blazing over from six yards with the goal open and Martin twice breaking through without finding a finish/pass. Then the warriors ran up the other end and the boy hit a peach into the top corner.

Close game and well taken equaliser but 2 points dropped as we had the chances the kill the game.
We had 3 very decent opportunities to close the door after we went 1 nil up but it just wasn't to be. There wasn't much in the way of chances and it was pretty much even stevens up until then.
Martin & O'Reilly coming on for Crabbe and C Smart had an immediate impact with a goal within a minute.

Hopefully we are in a position to strengthen the squad in Jan. We really need to convert some of these chances.

We need to strengthen up front as we have 5 strikers, non of whom are proflic.
I would keep J Martin and C O'Reilly and look to replace wee Smartie, Ritchie and Crabbe.
I just hope missed chances such as today don't come back to haunt us at the end of the season.
Anyway still 5 points clear, merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all Fifers.

2Points dropped today, we didn,t really get going till O,Reilly and Martin came on. Once again I think Blackadder tries to be too flash and ends up loosing possesion. Smart spat the dummy out when he was substituted, but done nothing to justify staying on, as for Crabbe, he,s past it. Should have started with O,Reilly and Martin, might have been a different outcome. We need to start picking up all 3points.

Can't agree we should have started with Martin. He messed up three great chances then cost us a goal by letting a guy run 10 yards to collect a loose ball before he managed to move even a yard. The defence must have been furious with him.

I'd like to see Crabbe get a chance. He didn't do much today but he has missed most of the season. A wee run might help him.

Couldn't disagree more than with the last post.
For a start, it isn't John Martin's job to defend.
As for his two late misses, well, Wullie McCulloch, like him or loathe him, did his job very, very well and forced Johnny wide both times when he was through one on one.
Just remember, that before John Martin and Craig O'Reilly came on, we were like a damp squib in front of goal. When that lethal pair came on, we started to look like a goal-scoring machine and started to run at the Warriors' defence. The fact he didn't wrap it up with his two late chances is down to good goal-keeping.
I spoke to John after the game and, believe me, he's as gutted as the supporters. He's more than keen to make amends, given the chance. Get yersel's up tae Arbroath, John Martin's rarin' tae go!!!!!

Sorry Jim,have ti agree wi Kots.Credit ti Willie fer the saves BUT if that had been say Ritchie or say Gordon ,they'd have been damed,just like Dodds is after every mistake he makes.Also at there goal ,he could'ov at least made an effert ti get the ball before the defender.John gives 100%,theres no douht about that,but its just a pitty he could finish the chances he makes for himself.Hopefully a goal next week will boost his confidence and then we'll see the John that made him Raiths top scorer when they were in the first division.Funny,i'v been saying that for the past twa un a half eer.

Sorry got to disagree with you Enfifer thought martin and O'reilly did great when they came on and changed the game. O'reilly took his goal well and martin made some great runs to get in behind the defence. you say if it had been ritchie he would have scored have you saw him this season he wouldnt have got in that position to score. The good thing about martin is that he runs at defenders and thats what defenders hate. mon the fife

There is no doubt about it we upped our game when O'Reilly and Martin came on. Crabbe and Smart were queit and with Martin he will run all day and his speed caused the Stenny defence massive problems.

Smart and Crabbe deserved a start because Martin and Ritchie were non existent at Dumbarton. Baikie now has choices to make for next week.

Stenny hardly caused us any problems all game and Dodds was solid (hope that doesn't mean he has a clanger next week) so hope that gives him a wee boost. He couldn't do anything with the goal.

If we took our chances we would have won 3 or 4 nil but hopefully the players are smarting after that and we can gub the Smokies.

That was the first time I've managed to get to a game all season. I have to be totally honest and say that I thought East Fife were absolutely woeful until the goal. Lacklustre, second to every ball, no movement etc.

What's with the hopeful punt up the park long ball crap EVERY time ?? I thought Baike's teams played football. I thought Moffat was no longer in charge of tactics...

I spoke to a couple of fans who told me that we've been playing this badly most of the season and winning ??? (Can anyone confirm this)

We don't look like a title winning team whatsoever based on that performance.

Ps, when is Greig McDonald due back ?

Pps, sorry for the moan, I was just astounded and disapponted at how bad we were after looking forward to game for so long stuck out in Germany

I,d like to comment on a couple of points.
1. Kots, it,s obvious to me that your tactical knowlege of the game ,is zero. Martin is an attacker not a defender, therefor it was the defence to blame for the goal.
2.The game was dead, untill OReilly and Martin came on, then we started threatening their defence.
3.When Martin attacks defenders, his pace not only creates problems for them, but also for us, because in our current team, no one is fast enough to give Martin the much needed support he requires.
4. As for C Smart, I wuold drop him, not just for his performance yesterday, but also because I spotted him ignoring the hand shake from both Martin and OReilly, when he spat the dummy out.
5.As for giving Crabbe a run in the team, for all our sakes,WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.
6.Finally, why get at Martin, when he changed the game when he came on, and ignore the fact that Crabbe and Smart had no impact on the game what so ever.

NEXT WEEK START WITH MARTIN AND OREILLY

Has everyone forgotten young Stevie Fortune? Last years Young Player of the Year and now rarely gets a look in. Whats going on? I would like an explanation!

Is he not at Uni? Maybe got exams.

It will be hard for Fortune to get in to the team would you drop Courts and Jabba for him? He will get his chance again.

As for the game it was nothing exciting until we scored and then we had the chance to score a few more and Martin could have had a hat trick. Atleast we started creating chances when he came on. Defenders dont like him because of his pace but he does seem to be more effective when he comes on as a substitute.

We should have won and it makes it even tighter at the top but Arbroath next week is a big game. Let's start the Hogmany celebrations early with 3 points and a (few) drinks!

Young Stephan failed his driving test, maybe Baikie dropped him because he cannot "pass"!

Hard for Fortune to get into the team????

I don't understand that. East Fife have taken just seven points out of the last 18 and of those seven points, some of them were very unconvincing.

This isn't a dip in form. It has become the norm. East Fife have not looked convincing since the game against the mighty East Stirlingshire, many weeks ago. We are in a mis-leading position at the top of the league.

Heard yesterday that Stevie fortune has asked to be framed out as he wants games & that wee Smartie is totally disillusioned! Think there will be big changes in January!!

Agreed Grant,O'Rielly un John did change the game when they came on.Never said Ritchie would ov scored however.Said if he had missed he would have been damed.Personally i'd like to see players like Ritchie,Hamshire,Dair binned in the new year,with younger blood coming in.

Left totally gutted yesterday! Have to say that through the the indifferent performances lately, the one consistant performer has been Jamie McGowan. Thought he strolled throuugh the game again.

It just shows the lack of qaulity in the league,that we are still top.
For weeks now,we have been totally garbage.When are we going to start playing for the whole 90 minutes?
Also think that Craig Smart shouldn`t wear the jersey again.His reaction to being subbed and also when O`Reilly scored was childish and unproffesional.

Didnae see what Smartie did when we scored... but his overall performance yesterday was pretty unspectactular.. he did seem to be motivated but he jist didnae deliver... as can be said for most of the team - I blame the tactics they were shite! Also agree we have been pants recently.. in danger of a serious slide here... saturday's game is a big one and we have to win. Its easy to start damning and feeling negative and yes its frustrating but support is what is required.. the more we take to arbroath the better.. cannae wait... come oan the fife !

what did craig smart do when O'reilly scored.

He never even flinched, just sat there with his puss tripping him

Sapper56
Were you at the game yesterday?

Martin just stood there in his own wee world and let there guy run 10 yards and get the ball and pass it up in the build up to their goal.Defences fault[:-]Explain that one?
The defence is our most strong point at the moment.I think you`ll find we really have only 1 midfielder who will takcle and that is Tam Courts(how we missed him last week),Blackadder tries all his fancies and flicks and is too lazy the left back is always left with 2 men,Gordon was scared to go into tackles yesterday and Jabba just had a off day.
Also if Martin is a attacker,why isn`t he scoring these chances or squaring the ball across the goal rather than doing a turn then losing possesion?

In my opinion it was more O`Reilly who changed the game with his instant impact and it proves how much we missed him last week at Dumbarton.
The difference between Ritchie and O`Reilly is night and day!

I just hope we offload Ritchie because he doesn`t seem to give 2 tosses and isn`t even making a effort when hes starting(last week is a prime example for everyone).

I aslo think Paul Doyle deserves some credit for his performances in the last 2 games,being played out of position in both games and has done well.

U FIFER, YES I WAS AT THE MATCH YESTERDAY, AND EVERY HOME GAME BEFORE THAT INCLUDING FRIENDLIES. HOWEVER I DO BELIEVE EVERYONE HAS RIGHT TO HIS OR HER OPINION. I STILL THINK THAT THE 4 MIDFIELDERS AND 4 DEFENDERS SHOULD HAVE PREVENTED THE GOAL, NOT AN ATTACKER. AND I HAD ALREADY SAID, MARTINS PACE IS A PROBLEM FOR OUR PLAYERS WHO LACK PACE AND FAIL TO GET UP TO SUPPORT HIM. ANYWAY MATE HAVE A GOOD XMAS.

Spper756
i just dissagred with some of your comments in the post before mine.
I agree with you about the 4 defenders and midfielders should have prevented the goal but i feel that Martin should still have tracked back 10 yards when the ball was there for him to get.

Yes John Martin does cause other defences problems thats a reason i liked him,he was still effective yesterday.

Keep your head up John,you`ll no doubt make amends on Saturday at Arbroath and have a good christmas!

Same to all Fife fans,players,coaches and everyone connected to the club have a good christmas!

Sapper756 - when reason runs out WE CAN ALWAYS SHOUT.

On your Point 1: You firstly blamed the defence for the goal, then when it was pointed out you were wrong, you added the midfield into the equation. I felt the defence were excellent again yesterday.

Point 2: John's pace will always trouble defences (I'm a fan of JM for the record), but their defence was threatened partly because we went 1-0 up and they started taking risks.

Point 3: In both cases, he had a player square in support so your point doesn't negate the point I made (if it was intended to).

Point 4: Fair comment

Point 5: Were you at the pre-season games or St Johnstone? Actually, I don't know you but I'll stick my neck out here - no, you weren't. On what are you basing your view?

Point 6: I made no mention of the 'Crabbe and Smart' point because I wasn't giving my view on the whole match, just debating one point which GREG had made.

As I mentioned above, I'm a fan of John Martin generally, and I'd like nothing better than to see him play well from the start. At this point though, I have to bow to the fans who say he has much more impact coming on against tired defenders and against teams who are behind and having to take risks.

In any case, debate is healthy, reasoned debate probably more so than sweeping statements and CAPITAL LETTERS.

Anyway, Happy Christmas to you, to John Martin, and to the Berwick fella that he could have tracked, and bring on Arbroath.

Kots , fair comment, as I said earlier, we all have our own opinions. By the way I was at St Johnstone for the record, and quite a few drop ball games as well. Any way have a good xmas, and lets get behind the team for the remainder of the season.