Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Identity crisis

I am very disappointed to see in today's Courier a picture of former R*ith R*vers players at a reunion during their pitiful home defeat against Cowdenbeath. But if that wasn't bad enough, there are Stevie Kirk and Bertie Miller grinning out of the page. They must have been at R*ith for a combined total of 20 minutes - R*vers men my arse. They need a good slap.

Re: Identity crisis

Kirkie was probably trying to get a game, the linos could do alot worse seeing as "the bairn" has been found out

Lee Dair was there as well - clutching at straws surely...

So was Blackadder. TOSSER

eh?

Ex Rovers at Ex Players Reunion Shocker.

Maybe we can turn a blind eye to those who were at R*ith and then later played for East Fife. John McStay and Ronnie Coyle are in the picture. Let's face it, they were always beyond hope.

But another cause for concern is that one of the players who accepted an invitation was JONATHAN SMART.

Craig Smart was also there.

Jock McStay, what a useless wee gimp he was!

anything for a freebie???

The only identity crisis is at New Bayview. First visit to your site and some of you guys need to see a doctor. Just like a few from the Raith site as well.
I go to Raith if they are at home and East Fife if they are at home. I have done this for around 25 years. Both teams have had ups and more downs. I do along with my father like both teams. Out of the four teams from Fife i would say that over the last 25 years that the Rovers have had it best then Dunfermline then Cowdenbeath the East Fife.
Only going on the silver cups that are won!!!
Why have some of you guys got it in for the Rovers? I can tell you that the Kirkcaldy fans do not think of East Fife the way some of you think of the Rovers. Some of you do have an Identity crisis. Are you EF fans or just use them as a Vehicle to hate other teams. Nothing wrong with Banter but i feel some go to far.

Can't we all just get along!

Dry your eyes mate.

Pish Gary. Utter pish.

We hate (maybe hate is too strong and should only be reserved for the Old Firm) the Rovers because they're our rivals from along the road and that's what football is all about the world over. Sorry mate you'te not a strict, dyed-in-the-wool, one-team fan like all of us - so you can't really comment.

I thought it was great that they managed to save their club and applauded them for that and also think the die-hards from Kirkcaldy, Dysart, Kinghorn etc who go every week are the life and soul of football and love having a bit of banter with them in the pub/at work.

I will, however, live in hope that we join them in whatever league so that we can play our true rivals on a regular basis and hope that they are shafted week-in, week-out on the football park till the day I die.

We're East Fife fans, it's our right to mock our rivals as I hope they do us.

I was at an Aberdeen v Rovers league game as a neutral midweek with an Aberdeen fan years ago, the game was shit but it made my night when in the Starks Bar (undercover) the fans starting singing a few anti-East Fife songs afer the game (and that was when they were in the top league). I went home contented.

Did you all miss Deek, did he come through the turnstile---- Naa

Gary - on what criteria do you place Cowdenbeath ahead of us over the last 25 years?

He says on 'cups won'. Only Rovers have won a cup in that period, don't recall Cowden winning anything. Maybe he's thinking of titles and promotions? On league positions over the past 25 years I would have thought we would have come higher than Cowden, bearing in mind we were on the verge of the Premier League on two successive seasons in the mid 80's.

And Gary we just have it in for the Rovers and that's the way it is. It's a historical thing. If you supported one team and had a bit of passion about you would understand this.

So Gary you support ? East Raith Fife Rovers

Well Gary,the Raith fans on there forum call us "Beast Fife,Least Fife"etc...Nothing wrong wi a bit o banter.To me ,my thoughts on the Rovers are on the same waveleagth as a Celtic fans thoughts on the Rangers.

As the organiser of Raith Rovers Former Players Association, I was the one who issued invites to all the ex-players who turned up for the reunion at the Cowdenbeath game. Also invited were Jason Dair, Neil Jablonski and Scott Crabbe who were all unavailable on the day so my thanks go to Craig Smart and Ryan Blackadder who turned up.

The re-union will now be an annual event and is open to any ex-Raith player regardless who their other clubs were or indeed still are.

To say Ryan and Craig showed disloyalty to East Fife is complete and utter rubbish. It only shows they have an affection for a club they once played for and see the day for what it was - a chance to catch up with former team mates.

As for East Fife, I have always intimated a desire to see the club form their own Former Players Association and have indicated I will give any help I can to enable them to establish one. After all East Fife have a very proud history and this should not be ignored. As for re-unions, the fans love it and the ex-players love it too. I think it would be great to see former East Fife legends paraded at half time at Bayview. My only disappointment is that East Fife couldn't hold on to the original Bayview where much of that history was created.

I would love a return to the days of the old rivalry between our two clubs and to play in front of big crowds again.

So rather than spout bile about East Fife players returning to Raith for a re-unuion, why doesn't somebody take up the challenge of creating your own FPA and turn it into something you can be proud of?

Raith Rovers Former Players Association boasts 198 members, and the re-union on Tuesday was the largest any senior club in Britain has managed to pull together at a match. I for one am very proud of that.

RRFPA also play in charity matches, and I'd love to arrange one between RR and EF legends were the opportunity to arise.

And finally, at the beginning of November we had a night out with ex Raith, Dunfermline, East Fife and Cowdenbeath legends and had a fantastic time, something we'll be looking to do again in the near future.

Wishing you all the best for the rest of the season

Ally Gourlay
Co-ordinator
Raith Rovers Former Players Association

Good post Ally.
Like the idea.

Get a life you do-gooder.

And while you are feeling so pleased with your all-things-to-all-men guff, can I ask where was Claude Anelka at your fancy party?

I think the setting up of an East Fife FPA is an excellent idea, personally I don't see what all the fuss is about with our players attending the Raith Rovers one, rivalry is a healthy thing but there are certain things that look a bit petty, and some of the posts in this thread (not including St.Pauli Fifers post where he does make some good points) are a wee bit petty.

I'd love to see the two sides in the same division next year, as well as the 12 points we would obviously get i'm sure the fixture would draw some big crowds, especially through in Kirkcaldy.

Christ, another bleeding heart liberal. If you want to avoid petty remarks, don't enter football chatrooms

I take it then that anyone who enters any dialogue with rival supporters which isn't rabid abuse is a "bleeding heart liberal"?

This thread is ace.

Look Guys i am only passing an observation on your site. I will try to clear a few things up.
I support Raith one week & East Fife the next week.
St Pauli, i would say that the older generation think Raith v East Fife is the big match. Raith Fans under 40 think that the Raith v Dunfermline is the big match, not East Fife.
BP i am talking about silver in the boardroom cabinet afterall that is how teams are measured not on how close teams are or just missed out on.
I am not a do gooder i just want the two teams that i live near to do well. What is wrong with that?

What if the Raith fans came to EF on a Saturday when not at home. What if EF fans came to Raith when they were not at home. Would that be good for both clubs.
St Pauli i take it you would not want that, cause that what was going on when my dad was going years ago. You would not want an extra 1600 or so at your(our) home games. Both teams benifit, more money, better players,higher leagues.

I'm sure both clubs would rather that their fans followed them away as well as at home, certainly in our case our away support is much better than our home support. The only time I went to watch a Rovers game was midweek 2000/01 perhaps versus Clydebank and I sat with the Bankies fans, I know a few Raith fans come to Bayview and support our opponents too, nothing wrong with that.

'Dialogue with rival supporters.' What is that then? 'Dialogue?' Sorry, are we at a party conference? I thought this was a website.

I love your 'dialogue' Igor especially the bits where you slag off other supporters for being 'petty'. What about your own petty remarks in your attacks on The Mole in another thread? I suppose they are deep and meaningful?

I was just curious about your position, I mean if i'm sitting in the pub with my pals, many of whom support Raith, should I roar at them and call them scum etc to avoid being labeled a "bleeding heart liberal"?

And did you learn that term in the Daily Mail?

Gary,

You sound like a decent guy and are free to do what you want but I'd rather Raith fans went to say Raith in their droves and East Fife fans went to see East Fife in their droves.

As I said before, if you're a real, passionate fan of one team you know the score. If you go to watch a couple of teams in a fortnight you're not of the same breed and will never understand.

Of courrse younger Rovers fans consider Dunfermline as their rivals - they no nothing else. Rovers and East Ffie are still historically and geographically the true rivals. It's that simple. We've had to contend with Cowdenbeath, but quite frankly, they are irrelevant to me.

My first memory of an away day was the 7-1 defeat at Starks Park. That, coupled with our obvious jealously at their relative success of the last 15 years, leaves a scar. You just need to go onto any Rovers forum and you'll see more mention of us rather than Dunfermline.

Again, that is what football is all about. To suggest anything else is ludicrous and ridiculous.

I hope that Rovers and East Fife sustain a club for generations to come. If we start supporting each other on the pitch then it's the beginning of the end of football as we know it.

I hate the Old Firm as I'm sure most one-team Rovers fans also do and I will always detest the Rovers.

There's no way you'll win this debate. If we wanted a nice, friendly, pish boring atmosphere we'd all follow Rugby.

Next you'll be saying we should follow England...

"I mean if i'm sitting in the pub with my pals, many of whom support Raith, should I roar at them and call them scum "

igor - do you really need to ask? Of course you should (and piss in their pint's if you get the chance)!!

Ok Guys i will come down a level or 2 for a wee while.
St Pauli Rugby is pish & so are England and at every level of sport, i hope they get *U**ED (Humped) or whatever takes your fancy.
Rangers & Celtic fans fall into the Patrimony type of fan of which i am not.I also hope they fall to asunder, with every club to get a chunk for keepsake.

I not being 40 (yet) do not think of EF v Rovers as the big match, it would be v Dunfermline. My father does not agree. That does not reflect in any way how i feel about both clubs.
Both clubs in need of a kick in the arse, both are boxing below where they should be. We have tradition unlike some new clubs and that should see our survival and be their demise to the lower divisions. (when the money runs oot)
Our clubs should be at least a division up from the leagues they are in now but no club has the right.
HEERZ TO THE ROVERS & EAST FIFE but depends who is at home who i support.
Support your local TEEEMZZZ (i think there are 2 of them)

Now here is a thread! I would say that my ideal would be to have all four Fife teams playing in the same division. Obviously, this division would be as high a division as possible. It would be even better if all four were genuine contenders for the leadership of this division.

That's where the cosy bit finishes, because my ideal also includes us taking all 36 points aff o the heeds up their ain erse linos, soap dodgers and Dumpfermline!

Gary, are you a transvestite?

As i have said b4 Anti Raith. Some on this site have an Identitiy Crisis.
You have a problem, your are a Helminth.
I have reached your level and it does not feel good.

So what if he is anti-Raith. You got a problem with that?

Igor... "I'd love to see the two sides in the same division next year..."

You mean you don't want East Fife to get promoted!

gary you sound like the life and soul of the party. i am sorry i missed you at new year. imagine the banter we could have had being chummy chummy chummy about east fife and raith rovers. you make Jonathan's contributions look refreshing

There is nothing wrong with being anti-raith but The Anti-Raith is a scary piece of work. Is he a hate filled homophobic or a very,very nice person on a wind-up. I'm sure we'll hear very soon.

I don't know. You ask someone if they are a transvestite and you are branded a HOMOPHOBE. Bring back the bleeding heart liberals, I say.

Aunty Raith-You try to have a normalish conversation and it goes into the slanderous abyss.

my dear wee Gary, i never knew you cared. But I wish you wouldn't wear that dress. you are embarrassing your aunty.

Ha ha!

Mon the Raith.

Don't you guys worry. I know what the REAL derby is.

7-1 ya bas!!!!!!

The real Derby is a fuckin horse race ya twat, fucks sake fuckn stupid Pratt street erses

Come on, at least he sees us as the REAL derby. That'll do me.

There are different types of supporters and we have to accept that. Some will turn up only if the weather is good. Some will turn up if their teams are having a good season. Some will turn up during a cup run. With 22 players on the park, relatives and friends will turn up and then stop when the player moves on. I have myself attended other games when East Fife have not been playing, i watched Dmfy v R****s some years ago and although the game ended 2 v 3 and was good to watch, there was no excitement in it for me. I took my son one time to Dens to see Dundee v Aberdeen, again, entertaining but no excitement for me. I also attended some of Dundee Utds European games. I get behind any Scottish team in Europe while watching Telly and that can generate some passion from me. Only East Fife & Scotland get me singing and shouting and that is where my heart is. As for hating Raith, well i admit that i do and i have been to Starks a few times and mixed with the away support. I can't explain where these feelings come from as they and their supporters have done me no harm.[except i hate having ky as my postcode] I suppose it goes back a generation [and a half] listening to Father slagging Kirkcaldy off. "Here's Methil, the biggest coal port in the Uk and they ******* along the road still look down on us. Disnae matter though son we can still beat them at the fitba"
I will not critisise anyone who watches alternate local teams as that's the way they are, just like the fans stated above. Their income is welcome and maybe in time they will become addicted like the rest of us and become a diehard.

I'm just thin'ing. Dae they huv their Kings O' Fife scarf at wan end o' thur wardrobe and the blue thing at the other? Wudny i' be funny if they put the rang scarf on wan day?