Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Transfer news

Hi there. I can confirm that my father along with the gaffer are working realy hard to secure some new signings to strengthen the squad. As soon as the first player is finalised aftn will be the first to know.

Re: Transfer news

Stevie Nicholas please John, and if he goes to Berwick Ronaldinho would do instead

Is that the "news"?

Thanks for keeping us informed, John.

A big change from the old days, when we were treated like mushrooms: fed shit and kept in the dark!

If i may John, can i ask if theres any particular signings you are hoping to bring in . Thanks for keeping us informed as well.

Baikie and his assistant were at St Andrews Utd,s game on Saturday looking at their centre forward.
The guy at Albion and a 2nd division forward seem to be among the favourites to sign.Although there are others.

Was that Gary Sutherland? He's top scorer at St Andrews justnow with 12 goals.

My dad has told me that I cant say anything on particular players as it could jepordise the deals just now. I wish I could but he will post on her as soon as anything happens. But put it this way his fone was none stop last night and Igor we appraoched Barca about Ronaldinho but they refused our bid of two fiat puntos and a vw golf gear box. Really they were getting a good deal!!

Thanks for the updates, John.

We're all impatient to hear news but I think we need to let the Manager and Chairman get on with bringing in the right guys as they see it. They done well by us pre-season, I'm sure they will again. The last thing we want is for a deal to be screwed up because of stuff appearing on here. Of course, we can (and will) speculate.

"they refused our bid of two fiat puntos and a vw golf gear box" - superb

Aye,and one of the Punto`s was yours Jim!

Yes igor it was Sutherland, he has scored over 20 goals already this season in the league and cups. I know its only at junior level but still a good record for a young man.

Think Sutherland is still not 100% fit as he was injured a few weeks ago.From what i hear,St.Andrews are struggling with getting there players fit as there are loads ov injurys.

Gary Sutherland was at Dunfermline from leaving school until a couple of seasons age when he was too old for filling the SPL quota of young players on the bench.
He went to Lochore Welfare and scored a lot of goals before Colin Downie (or St Andrews money) attracted him to St Andrews last seasoN.
St Andrews were probably paying more than East fife at that point - especially when you consider that they attracted Ryan Blackadder from Hamilton and currently have a number of players, like Ricky Patrick and the goalkeeper McGlynn who could still be seniors.
At least, under the present regime, East Fife may be a serious option for someone like Gary Sutherland with the prospect of playing at a higher level for a reasonable amount of return.
It must have been very depressing for Jim Moffat trying to attract players on the type of budget he had.

I hear that Ally Mitchell has joined lochore as player/coach

As I previously posted on 3rd Oct 06.

Oct 3, 06 - 11:28 PM Re: Jabbas Jaunt

The junior football forum on fifefootball.co.uk has a posting suggesting that Ally Mitchell will be joining the management team at Lochore Welfare in January.
Anyone hear anything on this

it has happenend

Gary Sutherland is our most likely signing according to a St Andrews Utd committee member. He says hes a natural goal scorer but wont do anything else for the cause i.e. tackle, track back, unlikely to endear himself to the Fife faithful, but if he can score say 45 goals this half season u never know

Gary is a mate of mine and i feel those comments from the st andrews utd committee are a bit unfair they dont realise quality when they see it. Last Year they wanted Blackadder out of there team which tells u how much they know.

"Gary Sutherland............hes a natural goal scorer but wont do anything else for the cause i.e. tackle, track back"

If he is an out & out striker I havent got a problem with that.....Probably the reason he can score 45 goal a season.
How many times in scottish football does the ball fall to a striker in the 75min and they duff it , blaze it over etc cause they have run about chasing lost causes for most of the match, and nothing left in the tank.

I recently saw Blackburn play and Benny McCarthy never chased back. He conserved his energy and when the ball broke forward he was always as fresh as a daisy even in 85th minute.
I also heard a story when Edgar Davids joined spurs he asked defoe why running fom one defender to another waisting energy. He said he would do the running and all he had to was put the ball in the back of net.

Think what Mark was trying to say was that he the guy wont be another King Kenny, but then again will we ever see his likes again

stevie looks good,see on sat

I take it that means he wil be playing as a trialist on Saturday.

Heard J smart, C smart snd S crabbe are away
J smart to forfar
C smart to hill o beath
S crabbe to albion rovers

Hi there, my dad has reveiled to me there that we have signed stevie nicholas along with graham gibson. He said to me he has also stepped up efforts on others.

Cheers John ! Great news about Stevie Nicholas and Graham Gibson - they should give us options up front and hopefully will baga few goals between them.
In the Know - If what you say is true - I'm not too bothered about Crabbe going to Albion Rovers as he is a bit injury prone. Craig Smart, I'd be sorry to see go, but his chances may be even more limited with the new arrivals. Johnny Smart would in my opinion be a big loss as he has been pretty consitent this season and is excellent in the air. A commanding Centre Half and a good long throw. We'll just have to wait and see !

J Smart away? Can't say I like the sound of that much.

Stephan Fortune on loan rest of season at Glenrothes Juniors any thoughts chaps???

A just told my dad about "in the info's news" he was shocked and laughed it off. J is one of my dads favourite players and cant see him going.

John, pleased to hear everything that you have said in the last wee while here. I cannae wait for saturday now to see the two new players. Tell your dad to keep strengthening the team. I've been watching East Fife for 25 years and seen them win hee haw in all of that time (Fife Cup only counts when winding up Rovers fans at work).

Isn`t it bloody rfefreshing that we now have this kind of communication with each other.
Have supported EF for 40 years and would bawl my eyes out if we won the league.
John,tell your Dad we ALL appreciate what he is doing for OUR club and hopefully we will be rewarded with the Title.

Stevie has not signed yet,he has still to speak to a certain person,that won't be done until tomorrow,and it will be sat if he does sign.

Why would Jon Smart go to Forfar? That's a lot of shite surely.

Gibson will be a good signing and will be good if Stevie Nic returns.

Just to echo Bob's sentiments, cheers for all the updates John. Much appreciated.

I'd like to see us look at Johnston of Elgin or Chaplain at Albion.

If they're scoring loads for these teams, think of what they can achieve with the chances we create (and currently fail to take).

Could swap Crabbe and cash for Chaplain.

bbc reports that stevie nicks has signed for 18 months

Do you think, given the circumstances, Deek Broon would have re-signed Stevie Nick? The circumstances, as they happened are; Zak finds out that he has been released and would like to return to the club, there is a wee bit of pressure applied by the fans on an internet forum. The club pay attention to this, as it may well assist the team in doing well, he is looked at and promptly signed. Everybody is happy

Under Broon; Zak finds out that he is available, he is then talked about on an internet forum (that Deek never used to read you know) and the fans are telt to bugger off as a replacement bread bin is required instead and besides the sinking fund for the sea wall/Deek's latest trip abroad on SFA business, requires topped up. As this involved some "work", Deek awards himself some more shares. No-one profits other that you know who.

I see also that Dene Shields has signed for Ross County so unfortunately, that ends another rumour.

You'll no' be saying that if Nicholas gets injured and cannae play anyway; and meantime there's nae place to keep the Sunblest.

More seriously, your post sums it up spot on.

nicks not signed

he has not signed and he might not be there tomorrow I will phone him in the morning to to get all the details

whats went wrong.

Aw shite, what happened?

From today's Courier;
Forward Stevie Nicholas, who has been training with the Fifers this week, will also put pen to paper on an 18-month contract prior to today’s game and should feature.

Have you got an update Zak?

the latest is the club have not been back in touch since training

I'm away to the pub stevie will phone or meet me there if he comes through

The arrival of Stevie N was confirmed by the Chairman's son on AFTN, confirmed on BBC football transfer page but now it seems that he has yet to put pen to paper. Who's spreading these porkies ? Who releases the news to the media ?

As i am a fair few miles away and cannae attend, just been on Sky sports site where it mentions a trialist as playing no.9 posistion, i take it thats Stevie Nicholas.... can someone confirm starting XI?

11 NUMPTIES

From the Official Site - Stevie Nicholas has signed a contract till May 2008. Just hope Willie releases more money to bring in some more quality before we lose the chance of automatic promotion. Getting rid of a few players would release some wages - Ritchie, Crabbe and Hampshire for starters.

there was confusion between the club and stevie,contract was at the club but nobody told him,he was a bit gutted at todays result and disappointed the way he played,but no one can blame him as he did not know there was a contract waiting for him he was not ready until 12.20,and he did not know that he was wanted for todays game,he has signed a 18 month contract.

Sounds really professional way to run a football club........not!!!

If we are still looking for wingers what about John Boyle? I always thought he was an excellent wide player.