Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife 0 - 2 Shire

I leave the country for 10 weeks and look what happens!

Was it really that bad? A bit of an embarassing result.

Re: East Fife 0 - 2 Shire

I leave the country for five days and this happens!
Cost me a euro to find out the score, too.

AWAY FOR A SAN MIGUEL TO DROWN MY SORROWS!!!!

Watched that on Sky Sports News today - about the only even remotely entertaining thing was Jeff Stelling saying it was a long time since "A Trialist" had scored. Fucking awful result though - looking at the table and our current form, we'll be lucky to make the play-offs now. And that's not being reactionary, honest...

The table, given out performances and results, looks very grim today.

East Fife were utter p**h today. I would not say any one player deserves thier wage this week from the starting eleven. Gordon was total garbage, never once laid off a pass to one of our team. The 2 new guys did not impress iether. Ritchie, what is Baikie trying to prove constantly playing him, possibly his £250 A WEEK WAGE, WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY,N o way will we make the play offs/

terrible conditions, terrible performance, terrible result, terribly embarassing! ahhhhhhhhhh we are blowing it big time!.. DB has to start turning it around... big 6 pointer next week.. if we dont get the 3 points then i fear promo no more :(

Disagree about Nicholas not playing well. When he got the ball at least he was looking to create and didn't waste much. Remember he was stuck out on the left wing.

Missed Blackadder today. All our troubles stemmed from midfield. There was very few decent balls to the forwards, far to many long punts. In conditions like today, totally the wrong way to play.

looks like the fife have blown it

never mind theres always next year heehaw

Pathetic and inept best sum up todays "efforts".
Have never believed in criticising players but some don't have the heart to play and shouldn't be here.
How on earth Baikie can justify starting with Richie up front beggars belief. He offers us nothing.
However, its not the fault of 1 player. Once again a very poor team performance totally devoid of ideas, skill, and creativity. Is this down to tactics or poor players?
Only Stevie Nicholas looked the part and J Smart & Jabba give their all. Cant blame the keeper but the other 7 who started have to take a long hard look at themselves. Maybe being a bit hard on Gordon as he did try to get forward.
I'm raging that Steven Fortune cant even anywhere near the bench. Who's been so good in midfield over the past 2 or 3 months to keep him out of the picture?
Our subbie keeper today was Jamie McGowan - was that a misprint or dont we even have a back up keeper?

Baikie does not have a clue about tatics, the same every week, no changes till 20 minutes to go then bring on 2 attackers.EVERY WEEK. Does he not know other managers now know this? Baikie will not get us promotion.And have to agree about Ritchie, he,s well past it, as is Crabbe, and Mitchell. Buy OLD men and you are desperate. Fortune should still be in the squad, but Baikie has put him out to juniors. Get rid of the OAP,s and thier big wages.

Baikie doesn`t just have to take the blame for todays game,but for the previous games that have contributed to our slump in form.
His tactics were once again,shocking and seem to be about not losing rather than trying to win.
Todays game was majorly important for the players to try and regain some confidence,prior to next weeks match,but they failed miserably.

Credit to East Stirling,they wanted it more and their manager got HIS tactics right.

Has our bubble burst? On the eviidence of today...Yes.

Total was total murder.
Why did we start with Ritchie up front? We should get rid of him and Crabbe and bring in more mobile players. Buying experience is one thing but buying over the hill players is a waste of money and a jersey.
Why did we persist in keeping the ball in the air when it blowing a gale and pissing down? It aint rocket science that the ball will be easier to go from one of our players to another if you pass it on the ground rather than launching it into a typhoon.
What wait until 20mins to go to try and change things? For Christ sake Bakie have the balls to change things earlier in a match if it clearly isn't working.
Next week is a must win game for us if we seriously think we are good enough to win the league. We have a decent squaud, apart from the old heids, but need to change our approach if we are to end up champions.
Lets hope we can get back on track against Berwick and start racking up some wins again.

to many players hide in the game, the don't want to take the all how many times did we try and play it on the ground elliot smith just wanted to play it long all day, theres aout 4 players who week in week out put 100% into games il not name them as its obvious, terrible game it a MUST next week that game has the season in the ballance, eliot smith spent about 25 mins of the 2nd half fixxing his socks before big j shouted at him to leave them come on fife must do better

Too many players didn't want to take responsibility today. How often did players pass the buck (or ball) 5 yards and put someone else under pressure ? How often did the ball go sideways or back ? How often when we did pass the ball forward was it a punt for the strikers to chase ?
The weather helped to spoil the game but the Shire were playing in the same conditions and adapted their game so much better than us. When you consider the number of attacking players in the squad today and that the best save their keeper made was from a header by one of his defenders, it tells a story.
A creative midfield player who can spot a pass and make it rather than pass sideways should be high on our wanted list (McBride - Stenny ?)
We have too many older players who are past it or injury prone. Their wages would be better spent on some younger players who will provide more options. Next week has become a huge game as defeat would take us off top spot having played two games more than Berwick.

Well that was first time back at Bayview for over 18 months and It will be the last for a lot longer.
The team played with now drive what so ever Nicholas was screams for the ball but never getting it and when he got it everyone run away from him. The two centre backs looked not to bad but apart from that nothing else was worth the money. They looked like a team who were void of ideas and so was the manager. Have to agree with other post on here, why is Fortune not getting a chance, if he stuck out like a sore thumb last season, surely he is good enough to get a game in tha pile of pish. Paul Ritchie, old, fat slow and past it. NOT WORTH THE £9 admission fee

Why Ritchie merits a starting place ahead of O'Reilly needs to be asked as well.

As said previously, possibly to justify his £250 a week.

It isn`t £250 per week....IT IS MORE THAN THAT...FACT!

Utter pish,Poor performance,Waste £9, WE WILL NO MAKE THE PLAY OFFS AT THIS RATE, sounds like you played well v the mighty Shire. The ups and downs of playing in the worst league in Scotland. Looks like you guys were living the dream of playing a big side next year, that is if we do not get promotion. You could always come and vist during a wee cup run and see what a stadium with a few thousand looks like.
Good luck next week. You will need it.

Baikie - We have been struggling for weeks and the long ball punt seems to have become the tactical norm.
Richie - Have seen more mobile statues.
Hampshire - did he once find a player in his own team with a pass?
Smith - Let Savage run unchallenged in the box for the opener. Seemed to be suffering from sock problems.
Courts - Always sideways and backwards.

Dair - Hasn't played for a while assuming due to injury and questions have to be asked if hes worth his wage as he cant be cheap.
Crabbe - Does he have a contribution to make?
Fortune WTF is he not playing?

Shire keeper made 2 saves as far as i remember today and 1 of these was to save an o.g. Too many players hiding out there not wanting the ball.

If Baikie can`t be positive agaisnt East Stirling what chance have we got for next week agaisnt Berwick.
Today we should have burst a gut to get an early goal as it could have knocked the stuffing out of them and dented their confidence,but we were lucky to be level at the break.

Baikie must take a long hard look at the way he is approaching games.He took the plaudits earlier in the season and must take his share of the blame for our current form.
Stop paying opposing teams too much respect and get rid of the older,higher wage earners who are not justifying themselves.
Whats the bet that he will blame the ref and the weather in tomorrows papers?

Pete- you say that we should stop paying other teams too much respect, don't you think other teams have been paying us too much respect. we've been shaky for weeks, this result was on the cards.

Believe it or not I am a fan of DB and think he's doing the best with the players he's got but for one reason or another I don't think they're playing for him. Signing Stevie Nae-class is, to me, the sign of a desperate man trying to appease the fans.

Not even going to say anything about the game,thats how bad we were,not wasting my time.
Pete there is a gd chance Baikie will use the ref and weather as an excuse,heres another one i wouldnt be shocked to hear:we had no game last week,just like the one used for Dumbarton.
No Baikie none of them are acceptable to use,Shire had to play in the same conditions and didnt have a game last week either,yes the ref was shit but thats the least of our problems.
That result had been coming since October/November and we need to attack teams rather than trying not to lose.
What is this Moffat era 2?

If we want to reach the play offs never mind winning the league,the players will need to take their fingers oot there arses and do something about it and Baikie should start playing the right team for example O`Reilly our best striker game was crying out for him before it even started but the slowest player in scotland starts instead

Paul Ritchie just release him,waste of money and a jersey.Ill give Crabbe a chance the now.

Need to sort that out Baikie starting in training this week and the players need to get back to playin like they did in August/September starting on Sat.

C`mon the Fife,lets win the league,dont blow our best chance of winning the league!
We`ve got a better chance this year than we did under Moffat in the promotion season.

What an embarrassement for the new board today with the mass walk out today, even WG went down the tunnel when the second goal was scored. Todays walk out was even bigger than when all the turmoil surrounded the Club last season when DB was in charge. So much for everyone getting behind the Club since DB vacated his tenure at Bayview.

Voi voi voi, as they say in Finland.

Walter,you say that he is doing the best with the players he has got.
Tell me,who has signed the majority of them,with probably the biggest budget in the 3rd Division?
You say that signing Stevie Nicholas was to appease the fans.In my opinion,he was one of our better players today,but wasn`t helped with the players around him...the ones that Baikie signed!
Nuff said.

What a load o fuckin pish that wiz the day eh, nae wunder ah drink

I agree with Chink, an abominable performance from the lads today. It sickens me to the core to have spent £9 on that shower when it could have contributed to a some gear for tonight or food for my dog.

the most successful team ever in fife are now becoming a laughing stock, and how how we laugh, as week after week goes by without a win for the mighty men from Methil. Still, if you sign the amount of proven losers you guys have then it comes to pass that you will lose matches!

PETE baikie signed nicholas !!! and he signed the better players of our team this year ie jabba, jay smert, the players basically thought its the shire and gave the wrong attitude apart from a couple theer was no desire. Don't get me wrong his tactics are pish but we need to get the finger out if we are to win the league, hopefully it starts next week a win against berwick would bring the confidence back to the players but we need to start with orielly i think !!!!!

my my my, do i detect unrest in the camp boys, face it the bubles bust. no promotion this year, what a difference a day makes yesterday world beaters, today ready to cut your wrists

walter pidgeon mr na class i will be at the game next week watching my boy if you hav anythiny 2 say well say it 2 me okay

There has to be a lot more work done on the training ground when a team can't even pass the ball 5 yards. When you can't get the basic stuff right you are in deep shit.
Promotion?

Stevie Nick, you were our best player yesterday.

Just have a quick peek at the league table - a whole bunch are backing up behind us - a kick up the bahooky for the team if ever one was needed. Needless to say if this run continues mid table is not out of the question. Get positive - and quickly, I want too book my flight up for the Championship winning match ASAP

MMM Jim Moffat tried 2 sign J.Smart but the team he was playing for were still involved in the amateur cup.

Jesus christ it infuriates me reading thid drivel on here. Yes you pay money to watch yes you are entitled to your opinions but for f**ck sake do you think the gaffer is deliberately trying to lose, do you think the players are deliberately going out to play badly!!
The answer is no every player and manager that has played at a decent level knows that yes sometimes you falter or go on a bad run but at the end of the day everybody mucks in harder and sticks by one and another to pull out of it, supporters included, what happened top the 12th man!! I'm sick of people giving their opinions that haven't played at a level or experienced the ups and downs of being involved in these situations, do you really think if the players and manager read this forum that it would benefit their frame of mind for the next game, i've been involved with east fife in the past and have been brought up with the club and its always been the same here so called "supporeters" jumping down the throats of the team and management when it gets a bit rough, you have to experience the lows to full appreciate the highs!
Are you really telling me if you were offered to be in this position now at this time last year you wouldn't take it!! Very short memories indeed, the club is well run now by a new board and the team is far better than last year and easily capable of going on another long run but we need the supporters behind us not jumpin on the band waggon at every opportunity, the manager and players are trying and giving 100% monday wednesday and Saturday thats all anyone can ask for. Lets here positive vibes starting with a win on Saturday to get a wee run goin again!

FFS Mister Anon, we lost 2-0 at home to the joke team of British football, barely strung three passes together, gave the supporters nothing to get excited about, and were a clear second best in every department. Against EAST STIRLINGSHIRE! And at home.

You say we have to take the lows to experience the highs. Please remind me of what a high feels like. We have been shit for months. This is a classic case of a new team taking the rest by surprise at the start of the season, then being found out. The trick is for the manager to stay one step ahead. Right now we are the lame ducks of the Third Division and Berwick have developed into a team who will romp past us with an inferior squad. I'm sorry if you don't have the stomach for a realistic assessment of where we stand. You're not alone there.

East Stirling were by far the better team on Sat.Played the ball on the deck far more than we did,and it showed by the result in the end.Punting the ball upfield,as we did alot ov on Sat,in that weather was,nieve,to say the least.The second half we DID try to play to feet,but unfortunatlly,the passing was pritty poor,esp the final ball.As i said to one supporter before the match,with the weather how it iz,it'll level things out abit.NO EXCUSSES for the result mind you.IF we are to win this league,we have to beat teams like the shire,no matter what.

Anon - Well said, spot on!

Now that the dust has settled and we've all got over the shock of Saturday, time for a wee reallity check!
1. We may have one of the best squads in the league, but even the best kave slumps, look at Chelsea.
2. Lower lwague teams don't win gamrs week after week.
If that is what you want. go to Parkhead. That would bore me shitless.
3. I do agree that there are 1 or 2 players who need to take a good look at themselves and try and improve on effort and attitude, but this will return, probavly quicker than we think.
4. Last season was by far the worst experience I have had in 40 years of watching East Fife and the memories of last season may well be too fresh in some of our minds. We need to get our feet on the ground and our bums in the ground on matchdays and give the team our backing.
5. We reach the middle of January before actually losing a home league game, and some people are shouting for the managers head! If these same voices were a bit louder in encouragement before the opposition scores, the players might respond.

It is now time for us as "true suppoerts" which we claimed to be last season, to get behind the team and management.
We as supporters have the ability to drive players on during games. We need to do this next Saturday against Berwick. If things dont work out immediately, don't get on the players backs, it will only make things worse. Save the criticism till the end and after the game.

Together we can still make this the most memorable season in MY lifetime, "come on the Fife"

Agree with ANON, any player or indeed the manager reading some of the posts on this thread must wondering why they bother! Give all of whats happened this season rather than what we've all recently had to endure.
C'mon East Fife!

That should read "give me all..."

Saturday was a bad result and performance but I agree with Jilted John,Iam L,Rab Haw,Anon and probably a lot of others. We are still top of the league and can end a bad spell on Saturday. I have said before that a play-off place was probably a realistic target when we finished last season. If we do not achieve that then it is fair to at least question if Dave Baikie can take us forward. To say he has failed or shout for his resignation at this stage is just crazy.

I was disappointed to read Mr Nicolas reply to Walter Pidgeon, is no one allowed to voice their oppinion regarding your sons suitability to play for the club? To say you want to meet him smacks of aggression, not something we're used to on this forum, friendly banter and to ruffle a few feathers perhaps but aggression, NO

To move on- personally I have no grip with Steve but as a fan I think this was the wrong move for him. I also think it was the wrong move for Crabbe, Mitchell and Ritchie. Mitchell had the sense to bail out but as for the others they'll have to be shown the door, Steve may have the same views come the end of the season.

Walter Pidgeon is in a minority of 1 or 2 people who slagged off Nicholas. He is I agree entitled to his opinion, but one must question whether he was genuinely commenting on Steve's performance, or he has some other reason for his comments, as just about everybody else who was at the game thought he was possibly our best player.

If I was Steve's dad, I would have posted the same!

Hardly a glowing recommendation but SN was possibly our best player on Saturday. I'm not sure what CONCERNED means by "the wrong move for him". EF may have been the only option on offer but he decided to come here so at the time it was the right move for him.

It's only crazy if change frightens you. Baikie hasn't failed, but he is failing. You can accept that and let him see out the season, then have to start from scratch. Or you can admit that there is a problem and act decisively to salvage the season. Wait-and-see didn't do the club any favours under Jim Moffat.

Hey Rawba

If you heard people slagging of the great stevie then maybe you should point them oot to stevies dad

Naw! It is what has been posted on this site that I was commenting on, not what was heard at the game. Probably because the slaggers were no' at the game!

Most people's opinion is that Steve Nic was our best player on Sat and I have to agree, where I was sitting in the stand I could here him screaming for the ball on the left wing, it's just a pity that none of the players on the park heard him.

Thank f**k not every parent takes the same standpoint as Mr Nic hole ass. Last season half the crowd was made up of family and friends and the whole team was p*sh. The few dozen that were not related would have had to sit very quietly in case we upset someone, come to think of it, we did.

Gawn tae a fitba' match disnae gie ye the right tae slag people off in front of them or thur relations and fur them no tae tak offence. If you gie it oot, then ye tak the consequences if ye say it in front o' the wrang folk, risking a brockin nose! That's life!

Fair comment, ah thought they were all shit* so if any one takes offence players ,relations tough see you saturday if you want.

oooooo .... help ma boab! Am being threatened ... help.

You never had this trouble at old Bayview if you stood on the terracing as no relations of players or officials ventured anywhere near there. And if they did they could always move. Need to get some standing areas at new Bayview where we can bawl away to our hearts content with no fear of upsetting anyone. Will this ever happen?

Looks un likley terracing tam ,better sitting no even making a sound and that includes no rustling yer sweetie wrapers or you might upset some people in fact maybe better letting in players relatives and a select few who sign an agreement no to make a noise or shout out and they will all be happy.

Or just let Big Punc in too watch them then he will not get upset at all the nasty languagethe poor wee soul has had too endure.