Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Goalkeeping errors

EF's perenial problem rears its ugly head again!! Can't score when we're on top & 3 daft minutes cost us the game. Berwick didnt play well but took their only chances, thats football! Almost every game we have lost or dropped points in this season has contained a goalkeeping error, Montrose - Dodds poor kick out, QP - Dodds attempted dribble, Elgin - Dodds fumble, Berwick away - Dodds failed to get a cross, Dumbarton - Ross dropping a capey, Berwick home - Ross fumble. Not good enough if you want promotion! In fairness if the forwards don't score then every keeper error is costly! When we won promotion we were scoring for fun & when we lost a goal we'd just go & score another 1!
Albion Rovers are going to cause problems to everyone in this league & could be the real dark horses.
I said at the start of the season that there could be 7 teams challenging for the top 4 on the last day, seen nothing to change mind.
What chances Montrose's winlees run coming to an end on Saturday? Surely not?

Re: Goalkeeping errors

Liam, you're no' getting tae play in goals. Just accept it!

Liam,agree about the goal keeping errors,and there have been too many.
How we have gone from a strong defensive team that is hard to beat is beyond me. Admittedly,under Baikie we will never score a lot of goals,but wasn`t it agaisnt E.Stirling away that we last scored more than one goal?If so,surely that isn`t purely down to bad luck.No team is that unlucky.
I personally haven`t been so dissapointed in a long time,even more than the previous week agaisnt E.Stirling.Let`s hope Montrose don`t appoint a new Manager prior to Saturday,as we al know what happens then.
Every single game from now is absolutely massive for us.

lets put a bid in for petr cech then. at 3rd division level, goalkeepers are going to make mistakes, which 9 out of 10 times lead to a goal.(don't know what your are expecting). anyway what about the times they have won us points. we all forget about that. any opportunity to get on a players back.

Liam, Having played in goals you must appreciate more than most that a keepers error is the most highlighted error in the game. i, like yourself played the game with injury cutting short a professional contract but you must admit that that a defence who has confidence in their keeper and vice versa is a must. Are we lacking this - and is this not down to a training lapse?

dodds mistakes- slipped at hampden unfortunate error happened to j against albion at home(if not mistaken). v montrose still had six players to get passed before scoring, how many times has an outfield player lost the ball with less in defence. berwick- if i'm not wrong did dodds not punch the ball and did it not hit off woods back, a mistake maybe but a bit unlucky as well. doddsys against elgin as well as ross's 2 could be down 2 weather conditions because on all 3 the wind has been ridiculous. not trying to pick on anyone but has our best player not cost us as many points if not more as well as a run in the scottish cup. sorry j but had to be said

As I said these mistakes are highlighted because of our inability to score at the other end! In all o these matches we should have been out of sight (exception QP)before we lost these goals! When you look back to the promotion season under Archibald, we were promoted with the goals for total in recent memory but our goals against was phenominally low! We knew then that 1 goal would win us the game in most cases!
I like Doddsy & think he has the ability to be a top class keeper & maybe its a confidence thing & posts like mine don't help, just expressing my thoughts! Bottom line is individual errors are killing us whether its a missed opportunity up front, a misplaced pass in midfield, a slip at the back or a goalkeeping error, everything is costing us points!