Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Telstar

From the official website

The Club had an enquiry in mid week from the Stuart Maconie Show which is on BBC Radio 2 on Saturdays at 2pm to 4.30pm. The BBC person asked if it was true that East Fife took the field to the tune of "Telstar" by the Tornadoes. She indicated that someone, a supporter , had e mailed the show with this information. We informed her that this was true but at home games only. We took it that Stuart Maconie was going to feature this as an item on his show on Saturday, 27th. January. The author is unfamiliar with this programme and would welcome any feedback if the team is featured or indeed what the Stuart Maconie show is all about. The author prefers Ken Kaynes on Radio Forth on a Sunday night at 6pm!!!
Therefore fans may wish to keep their ears to the radio to hear this feature, if Stuart Maconie actually plays our music and talks about the Club.
Please e mail the club at eastfifefc@tiscali.co.uk

Re: Telstar

the stuart maconie show is usualy a good listen. he plays a good selection o music with a particular leaning towards northern soul(whatever the fuck that is). i dont catch the show much but theres certainly worse shows oot there. i think he does features on the general publics excentricities??? and local customs from up and down the uk.

meant to add that the radio 2 website has a listen again click so you can check it out anytime.

After Mark Radcliffe played "Telstar" a number of weeks ago on his show, there were a number of listeners who sent in trivia relating to the tune; amongst those, someone remarked that East Fife run out onto the pitch to that record. Mark said he could think of no better tune for a team to run out to and that it must be a glorious sight to see the players spray onto the pitch with "Telstar" in the background.

Stuart Maconie may feature it on his own show but I know that Radio 2 are running a series of documentaries about the producer Joe Meek; Tom Robinson is supposedly presenting episode 2 however, the presenter of episode 1 is still to be confirmed. Perhaps Stuart Maconie or one of his production team are involved in this series.

BBC RADIO 2 MUSIC CLUB
Holloway Dreams – The Joe Meek Story Ep 1/3
Tuesday 6 February
9.30-10.00pm BBC RADIO 2
www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/radio/wk6/tue.shtml#tue_musicclub

Actually, at 14.15pm, Telstar becomes the featured song of "Ground Sound " on Stuart's Saturday show on Radio 2.

Wow, it's yon lad, Eugene on the radio.

ONE OF THOSE HIGHLY IRRITATING PEOPLE

nice one eugene.

its about 25 mins into the show on listen again.

Cheers JJ - and before I get slagged off because of what I said about why Telstar started to be used as our song can I say I hadn't a clue and just waffled something - can't actually remember what now!

For masochists the link to listen again is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_promo.shtml

or just go bbc.co.uk and find the Listen Again link for Stuart Macomie.

Telstar is played about 14 minutes into the programme.
For those suffering from insomnia you can listen to the short chat with me about 24 minutes into the prog, just after the song by the Beautiful South,

Nightmare having to sit through the Beautiful South.