Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
new manager

Who should take over as manager of East Fife?

I'm sure Dave Clarke could get results out of the present squad, but could he be tempted back?

Stevie Kirk is available, but I don't think he has what it takes.

There's John Connolly, we were linked with him this time last year.

Neil Watt is an ideal part time gaffer.

Iain Campbell nearly took the job before, we could do far worse.

discuss...

Re: new manager

Before today,I would have given him to the end of the season,but now I`m not so sure.

Sid Collumbine would probably want Brian Farliey

dave clark is an utter toss pot he should never be allowed near bayview again. if he was to take over he would get rid of all the young talent we have because he is a firm believer in older more experienced players. would you like to see crabbe and ritchie play week in week out? me neither

If Clarkie was so realiant on old guys howcome his last East Fife time had guys like Cunningham, Lofting and McManus playing week in week out?

Guys...recent results have not been down to Baikie's tactics awrite? The team have been absolute s***e the last few games and face it, we are still in the play-off position! What is the point of sacking our manager when we are second top? It could be a lot worse. Besides all those managers you guys suggested are all shocking!

keep clarke away from bayview,it would drive fans and players away,mind you some players would not be missed,I for one would not like to see clarke back,we need a goalkeeping coach there were some howlers yesterday,we could bring in lindsay hamilton as coach.

If Clarke puts out a winning team and gets promotion, how is that going to drive fans away?

Some of the crap on here is a disgrace. Clarke had Durie, Kirkwood, Hunter, Inglis and so many others in the first team at the age of SIXTEEN. He knew how to mix youth with experience and his results speak for themselves.

Those 'fans' who Clarke 'drives away' are free to go watch Tayport.

I hear what you're saying Gladys but you have to agree that his second spell with us was less then successful

You mean when the club was in debt to the tune of £1 million and we were paying players £10 a week? Is it any wonder that Clarke struggled?

Clarkies second spell was less than succesful as you say but he probably had the least resources of any manager in modern times (including the Broon years.)
Weren't we paying £10 a week back then and some weeks couldn't even put 5 subs on the bench some Saturdays?
We had an absolutely disastrous start but thought we played some of our most attractive football with a very young inexperienced team. We also used to win the Bells angels award every month for the least bookings as we couldn't afford to have any players suspended.

When Clarke was in charge the second time round knew a few of the players on a personal level, and everyone said that he was a real pr**k.

Well, that makes all the difference! Let's make sure that the poor players don't have to listen to a manager who they don't like.

I would think that most of the players the club had to field at that time should not have been playing senior football anyway.

Hey Gladys next you'll be telling us that it was all down to the hard work of that much misunderstood man Derrick Brown that we paid off our debt

It's not a case of not listening to the Manager, it's more a case of getting treated like shit and having to try and lift your head up after getting called all the names under the sun.
For a 18 year old lad starting up in the pro ranks this kind of treatment does them no good.

My heart bleeds from the poor wee petal. Do you think it is any different at any other club?

Max, you have a personal grudge against Clarke. I only care about East Fife doing a hell of a lot better than right now. I don't give a shit how the manager treats the players as long as he finds ones who are capable of moving the club forward. Clarke's track record of turning water into wine is second to none at East Fife.

FFS,Dave Clarke is history and I for one will be grateful for what he achieved as a player and manager at East Fife.
Please can we start to look forward

So you would say no to Stevie Archibald too, cos he is history?

Yes I would say no to Archibald.

Glad, I don't have a personal grudge against Clarke, I too want to see East Fife playing in a higher league. But people like your pal Clarke don't have the ability to take us where we should be, which is competing with the likes of Airdrie, Hamilton, St Johnstone & East Stirling.

I am disgusted with this thread. There is no pleasing you guys.
Just keep getting behind the team and be patient, it's only our first crack at promotion with a new squad and manager.

Davie clarke is not an option as he is on crutches at the moment.

Well said Boab.

Max, you are showcasing your ignorance here. Any chance of adding a few spotlights and dancing girls? Clarke produced East Fife teams that were far better than all the teams you mention. And he ain't my pal.

Bob is right, let's look forward. Every time a new player is mentioned it's Kenny Deuchar/Paul McManus/Innes Ritchie/Stevie Nicholas/Stevie Ferguson. Same with managers - Archibald, Clarke, Kirk. Time to move on. But let's cut the bullshit here about Clarke not being good enough.

You're right about moving forward, thats why I don't think that Clarke is the right man for the job and on that note I'm not even sure that Bakie is the wrong man for the job.

No question - Baikie has to be given to the end of this season with promotion to the second divison the goal.
If we don't achieve promotion, then it's up to the board to decide if he's the man to continue the job.

Changing managers now would surely just cause further chaos and we really need to all pull in the same direction. 13 cup finals coming up.

For the record I also don't think bringing Clarke back for a 3rd stint as manager would be a good option, just sticking up for a legend.

Agree Jeff,but I thought weeks ago that we had 16 cup finals coming up and have failed miserably so far.
If Baikie fails to achieve promotion,he should be sacked.

A change of manager at Raith has not done their chances any harm. It all depends on the quality of Manager you could bring in. Have heard from a couple of Rovers players that the coaching under first Levien and now McGlynn has been a huge step up in quality. If they can attract such managers why couldn't we ?

When are you toss pots going to realise that whoever is manager or chairman, you are going to moan your hearts out. You are never satisfied and deserve what you get.

When are you going to realise that whoever is manager or chairman, you are going to moan your hearts out. You are never satisfied and deserve what you get.

You got a stutter derrick ? or do you think people will listen to you second time around ?

Re the original question, I didn't realise there was a vacancy.......