Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Re-arranged game

We play Dumbarton at Bayview on Wednesday 21st March.Kick off 7.30pm.

Re: Re-arranged game

Hope we got Dyker_Grove to check the tides.

Dave,any word on any reduced admission prices for the away fans?

Eck

Not at this stage.

Boooooooooooo!!

Tuff luck pay the full price,tight weegie scum.your pies brides bovril and stewards are crap and too bloody dear,you are a bunch of greedy cunts and you don't even let our supporters into your club,better just going to the bowling club,anyway better hospitality.

The date could have been better.
That means we'll be playing Dumbarton twice in the space of four days - we play them on the following Sunday in Dumbarton!

Heard a story they're thinking of postponing both games and playing them on the Friday in Stirling for double points.

Nah, I made that up.

Kots,high tide that day will be at about 15.45.The tide that day iz also a big one.The wund on Sat is suppossed ti be from the south south west ,with a speed ov about 7mph.That could change however.Oh and there are suppossed ti be showers all day.

Dave Marshall - better arrange an inspection, then.

Wednesday night!
Not fair that, we normally do Tuesday midweek games. I run a boys' club and train on Wednesdays.
Maybe we'll have some luck for a change, with me not being there to cheer us on...

March will be make or break for Dumbarton! Their fixtures are Berwick H&A, Arbroath H&A, EF H&A & Stenny A. The games against Berwick, Arbroath & us are back to back games as well!!!!

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com

Fine gesture by the DFC board. The right thing to do. Come on East Fife, over to you.

the smokies did pay to get in when the game was abandond at dumbarton so its only rite they get sometin back at the replay. east fife made no money from saturday. they kept turnstyles shut didnt even sell haf time draw tickets untill they knew if it was on or off all they made was money over the bar ( and theres not much chance of away fans spendin money in dumbartons bar now is there???????

"the smokies did pay to get in when the game was abandond at dumbarton so its only rite they get sometin back at the replay. east fife made no money from saturday. they kept turnstyles shut didnt even sell haf time draw tickets untill they knew if it was on or off all they made was money over the bar ( and theres not much chance of away fans spendin money in dumbartons bar now is there??????? "

So what? It's a chance for some decent PR. Aye, we had a day out but we saw no game and still had to shell out money. Given the choice of a day at Methil or somewhere else for £8, it would be a no brainer. It's another, un-scheduled trip for fans and it's only right that we are somehow compensated. If it was the other way round, it would be just the same.

Couldn't agree more, and if prices are dropped, it might even attract a couple of newbies or faces that haven't been seen for a while...

"What's that coming over the hill ........." Oh, that would be the sound of silence! Come on Wullie, Dave - let's see/hear/read of what you are going to do for the fans on the 21st of March.

Come on guys,give us a chance.We have not had the opportunity to meet yet.

"Come on guys,give us a chance.We have not had the opportunity to meet yet."

What about phone calls? E-mail?

All I can say tuff luck it has happenend in the past to us and other teams,so what makes the dumbarton fans any different,not one jota,give the weegies ofsprings fuckall they are tight-fisted cunts and charge the far too much for every thing.

Whats the rush? The game is 5 weeks away! It's taken DFC that long to sort out Arbroath!

So, Dave, any news on reduced prices for the game on the 21st? Has your board met yet? Has Neil decided what to tell Sid so that Sharpy can spin it? C'mon guys, do the right thing. At least half-price would do the trick.

Ah, the sound of deafening, arrogant silence.

Arrogant silence????? Perhaps nae kent kens ya prick

Have to agree with Sonsfan here.Surely a reduction for not only Dumbarton supporters,but East Fife fans as well.
Isn`t it better filling seats with fans paying,say £6 rather than people boycotting the game out of principle.
In my opinion East Fife can only be in a win win situation here.

I think it's a reasonable request/question. as Bob says, better to have good positive PR out of the game to attract the wavering punter.

So come on Mr Marshall, what's the story? You're the people's director, so, give us some good news.

am going!
Hope we still keep this winning run up tho

plenty of time yet to get it sorted we have a more important game first against berwick,weegies will just have to wait.

Well done guys - no reduction in the price for the game next Wednesday. Great PR and a real slap in the face to supporters. No wonder people stay away.

Hang your heads in shame.

I don't agree, SonsFan. Is it not the case that the Club kindly laid on some scran for you guys on the day(?) I've arrived at games several times to find them postponed at the last minute (including one trip to Dumfries) and didn't whinge about it.

If we want Scottish football to survive at the level we watch it, I guess we gotta put our hands in our pockets sometimes.

OK, the soup 'n' sandwiches were gratefully received. It was and remains a terrific gesture. But, in no way made up for the late, late, late call-off. (The 2nd such incident to happen to us at Bayview).

It's about doing the right thing. It's about being nice and being fan friendly. I'll still go to the game regardless, however I know many who won't because they feel let down.

Call it gesture politics, but even a small concession would go down well. It looks like it wasn't even considered. A case of f*ck 'em.

And by the way, it's not just about Sons fans either. I'm sure cutting the prices would benefit the home fans too for a match that is very important to both teams. The bigger the crowd, the better.

The vision under Collumbine has not changed. Myopia.

Agree totally Kots,
I arrived at the stadium for the Dumbarton game and im not sittin whining about it on the website.
Sons fan-if you dont want to come to support ur club in a massive game fine dont,just your players and club you are letting down,no-one at East Fife is praying that you come along on Wed nyt.
Anohter face how can you prove that you turned up at Bayview?If you cant,that would mean youll get some Dumbarton fans who never travelled getting in for reduction when the reduction wouldnt even be for those fans.
Also if you bring up the Arbroath game its a totally different scenario because the game was abandoned not postponed.
I know for a fact if the game had been abandoned the people who turned up would be getting in for free not half price like Dumbarton and Arbroath fans.

Sons Fan

There will be times when the circumstances leading to a postponed or abandoned game will mean a club is morally obliged to compensate the fans.I do not think ,however, that our game comes into that category.We were mindful all week that you had a long trip and would have asked for a judgement earlier if we had felt it was necessary.With the postponement we understood your disappointment and offered soup and sandwiches before your journey home.
I believe that as fans of lower league teams we should be mindful of the harsh world we all operate in and work together to improve the atmosphere at our games .To that end I will put £50 behind the bar for you and your mates to have a drink on me on Wednesday night.

Dave - you are missing the point, completely.

Your £50 would be better donated to Comic Relief, as the point I'm trying to make is not entirely about money. There is a bigger picture to be seen.

It's not about coming to Bayview and getting drunk, or even getting in for free, it's about the principle of the situation.

The game was called off at the last minute and through circumstances which while unfortunate, not entirely avoidable.

It's not about whingeing either.

And yes, the Arbroath situation is a valid point to make. DFC were under no obligation, at all, to compenstae Arbroath fans for their wasted day. But they did, and did so because it was the right thing to do.

Thanks for your offer Dave, but as above, if you want to spend your own money, do it for a proper charity.

Agree with Sons Fan here. As I have said before this is even a great chance to entice some new people into the ground for what is a huge game for both sides.
Surely even a £2-£3 reduction all round would help.
An extra 100 fans would probably cover the loss with pies,programmes etc being bought.Plus EF get some decent publicity.

I think everyone is aware of the financial realities of lower league football. However this is surely an opportunity for a bit of lateral thinking to be used.
Even with a reasonable travelling support and it being a vital game the fact it is a Wednesday night probably mean a crowd of 500-600. Try charging £6 and aim to increase the crowd and at the same time maximise the income from an increased crowd. Suggest some or all of the following.
Flyer distribution on Tues/Wed
Special article in EFM
Make the 50/50 draw 70/30 (in club's favour) for one game only
Really push programme sales
Increase lounge prices for one game only
Increase pie/bovril prices and ensure there are plenty to sell

Others must have additional ideas. The Dumbarton fans in particular are looking for a gesture and I suspect
will not be too upset at some of the additional costs.

C`mon East Fife.WE as a Club have come on leaps and bounds since last year.
Let`s not spoil it. This is a real chance to appease the Dumbarton supporters and more importantly try and attract some more potential East Fife supporters in to the ground.
TOC`s comments and ideas are spot on.

I will be @ the game

Obviously,you are going,pretending to be a Dumbarton fan,just to take advantage of the free drink.....ya cheapstake!

Isn't it staring us in the face what's going on here?

If it was up to Dave Marshall he'd do the decent thing and allow cheap entry, but it isn't so he can't.

He's therefore made a kind personal gesture which has, regrettably, been thrown back in his face.

I wouldn't mind betting Dave asked the board the question and got the expected reply from our illustrious leader(s).

Still never mind...it'll soon be summer, time for full Trust representation on the board to put over the views of the ordinary supporter. Aye, right!!

De be surprized if the game iz aff.Snaw forcast ,with little wund ti help the melt.

Don't see why East Fife should cut prices they never gained out of it,it was not them who called the game off,ask the ref to fork out for the fans who travelled to the game,it cost me a few bob on taxis,am I moaning no and I am unemployed stop moaning all you weegies are the same moan moan moan bunch of women,your club is one of the worst for their prices for entry and pies,your saving a pound when you come to bayview pound cheaper to get in and pies are cheaper and better and we even let you use our bar,we don't get near yours so stop moaning if you come pay the full price or stay at home if you don't want to pay.

Dave
Do you want my £9 or not. This will be visit 4 to your stadium this season. That is over £45 this year in games,tea + pie & your match day magazine.

Dave - Will we be back in our proper home end on Wednesday?

Eric - yep. See Dave's post 'Back Home'.

I travelled through for this game aswell and im not looking for reduced admission prices on Wed night, it was just one of those things and we have to be honest the ref made the correct decision that day.

RAITHROVERS1

The Dave who replied to you was not me.

aye
we r gonna win this tym oot! Boyz!

UNBELIEVABLE!!
I've kept quiet on this one too long. Time to voice my frustration.
What a superb gesture. Fifty quid behind the bar for the Sons' supporters, generously donated by 'Mr East Fife' himself, Davie Marshall. Not a millionaire by any means, but a generous guy none the less.
And he gets it all thrown back in his his face.
I think the attitude shown by the Dumbarton supporters is absolutely dispicable. Remember, everyone, this is the club who REPEL anyone brave enough to even have the cheek to enquire if they have a social club at their stadium! This is the club who's supporters were treated to soup and sandwiches at OUR stadium on the day the aforementioned game was called off!
The fact of the matter is, the East Fife v Dumbarton game was called of before a penny was paid at the turnstiles. The Dumbarton v Arbroath game was abandoned after the Sons had reaped the money in at the turnstiles. OF COURSE Dumbarton should offer compensation from the money they had already taken in!!!!!!!!!!
What Dave Marshall DIDN'T have to do, however, was to offer Dumbarton supporters fifty quid behind the bar. But he did. And this is a gesture that has been thrown right back in his face.
And this is a gesture that has been thrown back in his face from Dumbarton 'supporters' who decided to disrupt the enjoyment of everyone in the East Fife lounge on that afternoon by shouting, swearing, and playing football with a balloon.
So, before you go pointing the finger at anyone else, take a look at yourselves.
I believe there is a souvenir shop at the new Dumbarton stadium? But it is only accessible to home supporters?
Recently, two East Fife suporters I know managed to get past the arrogant 'steward' on the door (the same guy who told me where to get off) and were browsing through the merchandise in the 'club shop'.
"Watch that pair" came the shout from the reception area, fearful that the two East Fife memorabilia hunters might be light fingered!!
And we're meant to feel sorry for them??
DAVIE MARSHALL - KEEP YER MONEY IN YER POCKET PAL!!!

AGREED! It's about time we stopped pussyfooting about these ingrates!

Jim,
I agree with most of what you said but irrespective of behaviour, fault etc it cost a lot of both sets of fans money to travel etc. EF are under no obligation to compensate anyone but it is an opportunity for EF to demonstrate that although Dumbarton do not give a toss about visiting fans there are others who think about all fans. EF should try to make the most of a PR opportunity.
The response to Dave's offer came across as ignorance but let's give the benefit of the doubt and accept it as the badly worded thoughts of one moaner.

I suppose I did get on my high horse a bit there, but the response to Dave's gesture really angered me.
I take in what you're saying, but I'm still of the opinion that no money was taken at the turnstiles, so no compensation should be given. And I'm also of the opinion that the soup and sandwiches given to the Dumbarton supporters as a goodwill gesture on the day was more than DFC would have done for us in similar circumstances.

Ignorance? Badly worded? Get real. Mr Marshall's personal gesture need not have been made and like a David Cameron quip, was intended to be populist.

Get some perspective.

As for the alleged bad behaviour at the original match, a scurrilous accusation that is just, frankly, ludicrous.

You guys would do well to remember that away fans are important, vital even.

And as for your petty, pathetic attempt at denigrating the experience at the Rock, just remember that it's the same guy who runs both clubs, with a similar attitude too. We suffer just as much as anybody in that respect, but taking lectures from you guys is a bit much.

The fact remains that Dumbarton fans, a considerable number, both on buses and via their own transport, lost a lot of money on the day in question.

It's more than reasonable to expect a wee bit of consideration when the game was re-arranged. And please, stop all this self-congratulatory back slapping about soup and sandwiches as if somehow this in any way made up, or makes up, for the game being off. You would have had the same at Dumbarton had the roles been reversed.

As fans we should be united in the condemnation of un-fan-friendly policies, instead we've fallen into the trap, and guilty as charged, of baiting each other.

And believe you me, this is what the likes of Rankine and Collombine want.

As I have said along we don't need to give the moaning weegies anything,you can come on wednesday or not that is up to you lot we don't need arrogant c---s like you's,as for dave marshall going to give yous £50 the guys got more money than sense I think,and you lot are not getting a penny from me on sunday,so stop yer f-----g moaning and get back in yer slums and if you win or lose just get yourselves get a life.

Weegies. Aw for Gawd's sake, is that the best you can come up with? Nothing like stifling debate with a few insults. I won't be at tomorrow night's game in protest. Not reducing prices for this game is a cynical manipulation of supporters on both sides.

"And please, stop all this self-congratulatory back slapping about soup and sandwiches as if somehow this in any way made up, or makes up, for the game being off. You would have had the same at Dumbarton had the roles been reversed."

Where would we have been fed?????????????In the carpark?? certainly not in your club!!!!!!
My 1st memory of going to an away game that was called off late was at boghead some 30-35 years ago where we were charged to park the car only to be told by the guy at the OPEN turnstyle that the game was off due to a flooded pitch.
No doubt all the stayaway Sons fans on wednesday will be blaming the fact they didnt get offered cut price entry. Im sure that the 5-1 drubbing by Stenny will have nothing to do with it

I've not been following this thread, in fact it's the first time i've had a look at it and bloody hell....

Pardon me if i'm wrong but the original game was called off by the referee, not anyone at EFFC.

So whats all the fuss about??

We've all travelled long journeys for nowt, this is nothing new in football and although it can be very frustrating and expensive thats just the risk you take getting out of bed in the morning...

Meanwhile somewhere in deepest, darkest Dumbarton......

I hope none of them come if theyre all like the moaners that have come on here. Davie you tried mate but i would just advise them to take it up offically with the club. However i bet there is no club in the league would in effect accept liability for compensating fans after a game was called off thru no act or ommission of any official of the home club.

They had the goodwill gestures and threw it back in your face. I bet their hoping for snaw so they can slip and sue the cooncil!

Crowd 443. By reducing the price by £1 it would have cost <£400 at the gate. By attracting 50 more fans,
adjusting various prices for one game only and actually having pies to sell we could have increased total receipts. I know EF had no obligation but this was a no cost PR opportunity missed.

TOC

You'r a bitter and twisted man