Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
find us a hero

Could someone please find us a new hero, a Stuart Burgess, Tommy Mcafferty or a Gilbert Allan will do for starters what we need are players who will fight for fife

Re: find us a hero

Aye and a keeper like Alan Blair or Gordon Marshall!

Baikie could be a hero if he resigned now.....

Agree with Gordon Marshall - helped us win the Coca Cola cup.

Great program Friday - did you lot see it.

Just back from a weekend in Peterhead - another shut out and a good point won.

Agree with a few on your boys posting. Get rid of Baikie - bring in a new manager - look what McGlynn's done for the Rovers.

Alan Blair? You mean to play up front?

No... keeper.. see below

ALAN BLAIR

Born: Kirkcaldy d.o.b: 24 December 1954

Position: Goalkeeper

Teams Seasons Apps. Gls.

Raith Rovers 73-74 3 0
East Fife 76-80 116 0
Dundee 80-84 25 0
Raith Rovers 85-85 27 0
to Cove Rangers

Totals 171 0

Alan Blair also played up front, when Davie Gorman returned to the goalkeeper position. He was also a regular on the Highland Games sprint circuit.

Kind of remember a Ray Blair playing up front in the late eighties.. cant mind an Alan Blair playing outfield.. How many games did he play?

Alan Blair did play centre forward in at least one game at Bayview in season 79/80. Pretty embarrassing having to play your keeper outfield but we were going through a lean period at the time and anything was worth a try I guess. He was rubbish mind, but no worse than what we had. Hmm, do you think Dodds would be better off out on the right flank then?

It might well be that we have unintentionally struck upon the key to getting back up the table. Baaaalkie just needs to play all our boys in the wrong position. Thats it we've done it !! There you go Blair is our hero !

Wait a minute has'nt Baaaalkie already been playing the boys out of position !

DOH

Are things that bad? A few years ago, East Fife were probably fighting for survival, now we are pissed off because we aren't top of the league! FFS, lets get a grip! Yes, we should have run away with this league and yes, DB has made some bad decisions, but we do not have a divine right to win every game. The manager should be judged at the end of the season and not before it, when there is the slightest chance of the play off. Remember that not so long ago, we were just about in the wooden spoon place, and top half of the table just now to me is progress.

You are right we have no divine right to win every game, but I'm pretty sure Willie Gray doesn't agree that being mid table is progress considering his financial investment. Why give him until the end of the season ? Jim Moffat was sacked whilst the team were on a similar run. I'm sure he would have done better if he had been given the resources that Baikie has had. At least his preparation of the players and coaching sessions (not Training sessions) had a structure and were enjoyed by the players.
I don't think Baikie is getting the best out of the players as he chops and changes players and positions from week to week. What respect does he have from the players when he won't talk to them one to one and his training is disorganised and amateurish according to a friend of a player ? He should go now !
Sometimes a change of Manager at this stage can fire the players and get a positive response which could still get us a play-off place.

Absolutely correct, but the other side of the coin is that too many managers are sacked because of a string of bad results, when sometimes a bit of stability is what's needed when you look at the picture in the longer term. Fergie was one game away from the bullet at Manure and look what happened with a bit of stability.

I'll ask you this BB, who would you replace him with and who do you think would want the job? Our reputation at the moment is laughing stock at best, especially under Broon...

Come on now, with statements like that there is no kidin me EH ! Come on Hansen admit it. What the hell is wrong with the boys havin a good moan we can see it is going wrong. Here you go ! what did the great Sir Winston Churchill do when things were going wrong in North Africa. Did he just say to General Wavell hey lets just crack on and let Rommel and the rest roll you into the sea OR did he say lets get someone else in to have a go "Montgomery" arrives on the scene and the rest is history. So there is a wee example of why you should not limit your options on time alone. Yes we have progressed no doubt, but don't give us this TV pundit "keep the boys network in a job" shite judge him at the end of the season ! Bollocks we are on a slide. Remember some of us have seen it before and listened to "Give him to the end of the season" !! Rembember the last man!!

sorry the last bit should read because of broon.

Ok, we will go with the sack the manager one. Who would want the job first, and who would you want? I can't see loads of managers wanting anything to do with us at the moment, it looks as if we have a new manager every season.

It's not really a question of who I would replace him with as I don't pay the wages. If I had a choice I'd go for Jose Mourinho !! Don't think Willie would pay his wages ! Steve Archibald ??
Seriously I think the Rovers made a very shrewd appointment with John McGlynn and we should maybe look at bringing in someone who is Assistant Manager at a bigger club who wants the chance to be Manager. Having spoken to a couple of Rovers players, they are delighted by the coaching and organisation of McGlynn and his backroom staff. I think getting rid of Brown would encourage a better quality of applicant this time around as at least a bit of money will be available.

True, more money is available, but job security? Fans shouting sack the manager before a season is out? If I was a successfull coach, I would think long and hard about joining us. Remember, they too have mortgages to pay.

Vladimir Romanov seems to like a bit of management and hes getting pleters at the moment, he's now enraged the west coast mafia so might want to move out of the SPL before the smellies really start on him. Seriously it might not need a new manager. How about someone in the McCoist roll at the club, does'nt have to be the greatest coach but can motivate and have the respect of the players, these sorts don't grow on trees but what about approaching someone who is out of the game, example Gordon Durie no doubt out of our financial leauge but what about that thought.

The only reason Durie would come back would be for sentimentality reasons, and if my memory serves me correct, he turned us down when we tried to sign him as a player just before he retired. So that would be a non-starter. Wullie Broon would give the players a huge kick up the backside, but remember he kicked everything that moved. Kirkie back? East Fife in his blood, but then so has Davie Clark, and that was a bad move as well. Can't think of anyone else who would fit the role, and off to work anyway now...

Davie Kirkwood ? Billy Kirkwood ? Donald Park ? Craig Brewster (Rovers connection - what about it Willie ?) Steve Archibald ?

I tnink if the chairman engineered God to come back to the club he would be elivated to hero worship.

He's God Stevie Archibald, Hes God Stevie Archibald...
What a day at Clyde that was

Why not dream EH !

If the job became vacant tomorrow I would be surprised if the club received less than 30 applications. This is one of the most talented squads in the league (better than most of the Second Division too), and anyone who can organise and motivate the players would stroll to the play-offs. It is a long time since the East Fife job has been as attractive as it is today.

BT is right about the danger of giving someone until the end of the season. It seems to be a point of principle that supporters have decided is sacred. Won't we all look splendid wearing our badge of honour as we tour every Third Division ground once again next season?

There is also the optical illusion of the play-offs. Before, the standard was a top two place. Now we accept fourth place as evidence of the manager's capability, and fifth because it is close! Our standards have dropped way too low. Baikie can't possibly be seen as a success if he finishes in fourth place. That is the equivalent of third bottom of the old Second Division. In other words, the 36th club in Scotland.

Can anyone tell me just how many points Berwick have made up on us when we were well clear at the top.Must be in the 20 ov points,with 2 games still to play as well.SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to see God back, but I can't see him taking it. I've always wondered why he hasn't been snapped up by someone else, Airdire apart... Brewster would be good as well, but would he drop down a few leagues? Not trying to pour water btw, just trying to think of who would be interested.

Find us a hero?

What aboout our International Youth Captain local lad who was farmed out

BT - You say 'remember the last man' Jim Moffat did not get till the end of the season. Remember Greg Shaw held the fort whilst Brown and his cronnies 'interviewed' various candidates. They weren't prepared to pay what Baikie asked for initially but after being told a few home truths by Ian Campbell there was virtaully no-one else interested.

Fair one BB, when you look at it, although it could be argued that Moffat did'nt really do it. I wonder how he would have performed without having to contend with the tripe Brown must have created behind the scenes. Just read the Daily weegie article on the game at the weekend. It says that Baaaikie said "We're lacking a bit of confidence at the moment and its causing us to lose goasl at some critical times" Whos lacking confidence? stick them on the bench I'm sure that there are plently who are not. The one who's lacking confidence is the man who had a bum rush when he saw that we were going to end up in DIV 2. Then he'd have to start to earn his money. ??

Word from inside is that after the 2 draws at home when we were still top,Baikie bottled it and panicked.Now he hasn`t the ability to change our style of play and is scared to put out a team that will go all out for a win.
Basically it`s still trying not to lose and hope to take one or two of the few chances that we create.

Why is it that virtually every single team that we play agaisnt always play better football than us and at times are more up for it?
Something to do with having a decent manager perhaps?