Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Saturday is Massive

Time to get our season back on track on Saturday. Div 2 next season is still possible, we just need one win to turn it around. COME ON THE FIFE!!!

Re: Saturday is Massive

Just like last Saturday and the Saturday before that and the Saturday before that,,,,,,etc

Why was non one calling us, the boo boys, not true fans when EVERYBODY was sticking it to Moffat who was working on a shoestring.

Hypocrites

Guardian man you are on dangerous ground. How dare you suggest that Baikie is no better than Moffat. Next you will be telling us that this sticky patch we're going through actually represents half of the season.

Support East Fife - What makes you say Baikie is better than Moffat considering the resources thay had have been poles apart ?

I'm sorry, it was meant to be mock indignation. It's my opinion that Moffat is a better manager than Baikie. He was just unlucky to be at the club during the Derrick Brown years. I'm not saying he was the best man for the job, but I think he would have made this current squad of players the runaway league leaders.

(He was being sarcastic)

would love a poll to see who wants a change of manager and who doesnt

Looking back to last season's league tables the fourth placed team ( fourth must be our first target ) had 56 points in Division one, 57 points in Division 2 and 55 points in Division 3.
These figures suggest that winning 16 or 17 points from the last 33 should see us not far away.
Saturday is day one for this objective!!!

Moffats reputation in football circles is Good with the young guys and text book training sessions but pish when it comes to tactics, organisation, instilling team spirit and winning attitude.

Remember he all but dismantled a promotion winning team full of experienced pros and up coming players adn replaced them with a team that resembled St Andrews University B team ( To use his own words "Powder puff in front of goal"
From now till the end of the season will prove whether Baikie can intill the correct tactics organisation,team spirit and winning attitude thats been missing recently but his track record in management is streets above what Jim Moffat ever acheived.

Mark that is bollocks.

You say Moffat couldn't instil team spirit and a winning attitude. Try casting your mind back to the number of games we won in the last mionute in the season we won promotion. That team cost 50p and it sat at the top of the league for all but two weeks of the season.

You have a problem with him 'dismantling a promotion winning team'. Try taking a look at every team that wins promotion. They have to change, bring in different players. Some don't want to stay because they are not getting a big enough pay increase. Others are just not good enough. Herkes and Graham went to Arbroath because they were getting paid far more.

I don't believe for a minute that Baikie could do what Moffat did in our centenary season. But then again, I'm not a Baikie apologist. "From now until the end of the season blah blah". More bollocks. Try looking straight in front of you. Try believing your own eyes. What you are seeing is not an illusion. What you are seeing is failure. It is happening NOW.

I am not a Baikie apologist and I respect Jim Moffat for taking a team that he basically didn't put together up.

After our centenary high tho we ended up relegated!!!
The point I made and stand by is that Baikie has achieved more in the game both junior and senior than Jim ever did or will.
Sure lots of teams change when they go up a league but we got rid of the experienced pros and were quite quickly found out. The team on the pitch worked and fought for each other in the promotion season something a manager has little control over. My point is the jury still has to be out on Baikie as far as East Fife go as results are everything and the season is not yet over. I do think we are predictable and other teams have sussed out how to beat us in the same way they did after we were top of Div 2 under moffat.

I wonder if you go to away games as there is often a completely different perspective on a season if viewed both home and away. Ive not felt the humiliation and total lack of hope this year that the previous seasons under Jim brought out (Even 3 3 at Montrose!) Not great football or consistent but who in this league is?

Mark that is rubbish again. In your first sentence you say "I respect Jim Moffat for taking a team that he basically didn't put together up."

John Allison, Jim Butter, Kenny Deuchar, Euan Donaldson, Craig Farnan, Mikey Hall, Gordon Love, Craig Lumsden, Craig McMillan, Gordon Russell. ALL THESE PLAYERS WERE SIGNED BY JIM MOFFAT

Then you try to say that if a team plays as a team, it is nothing to do with the manager! How wrong could you be?

We did not "get rid of experience pros". As I have said already, Herkes and Graham left for more money. The other experienced pros who were released - Allison, Butter and Farnan - saw their careers peter out very quikcly at the foot of the Third Divison. In other words, they were not Second Division players, as the lack of demand for their services proved.

You say the jury is still out. That's fair enough. If the jury is not to be able to see the evidence in front of their noses, the jury will be out for the rest of their lives. Saying "the jury's out" only damns the jury.

Things have been poor lately but the very least a manager deserves is a full season.
If we don't make the play offs I'm pretty sure Baikie will expect the bullet, he's been in the game long enough to know how these things work...

Unfortunately I'd rather see a change now to maybe turn the season round and if not, give a new manager more time for next season. I've seen enough from Baikie.

Sorry if I sound like a moaning bastard

Have to agree that I too have seen enough of Baikie.Also nobody yet has answered my question "when did we last play well for 90 minutes,not 45 this season"

Is it a case of that we haven`t played well over 90 minutes this season,and if so Baikie should walk and take his side kick with him.

Bob, I was at the East Stirling game on Sep 1.

The F*fe absolutely kicked ass in that game.

Well done Jon.A win over the mighty East Stirling....Great stuff eh!

I think there's a touch of taking the piss in Jonathan's post. Look at the date and look at the team played...

On another note. I hope Baikie gets the boot sooner rather than later - I'll however be praying we beat Albion Rovers tomorrow and will be in attendance.

I am a 'supporter' and never condone abuse shouted at players and management - although a damn good moan is always allowed.

Wasn't meant to be a piss take?

It is the only F*fe game I've been to this season. If I got the dates wrong then sorry, but they absolutely hammered East Stirling over the entire 90 minutes, which was the question that was asked.

Anyway... F*fe are 2/1 to beat Albion Rovers. Great odds.

Mark: I was half in agreement with you on your first post but the second post was way off the mark.
To say that the team instills their own fighting spirit and not the manager is just wrong.

I meant in the sense that once they are over the line there's not much a manager can do influence the character and performance of a team. The best managers Ive seen and read about rely on one or two winners and strong charachters to pull the others along in adversity.Shankly ,Fergie, Stein all applied that principle. That sort of leadership menatality generally comes from within. We had this in Jabba, Smart and Courts at the start of the season and its been flagging a bit recently. Only they can get that back. The managers (and the fans job is to give them the encouragement to do so).

Ps good result today

It the same principle in any walk of life. Ask