Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Todays game

We have played better and lost,but will take 3 points any day.Still a bit puzzled as to why Baikie leaves it so late to make substitutions.
Cannot for the life of me understand why Blackadder stopped playing and looked for a free kick instead of playing on,especially when we had a 3 on 1 situation.That could have cost us the game.

Re: Todays game

quite agree, but we won in the end and the only team that could have beat us was us

Instead of looking at the negatives, what about the positives? Two first class goals by Craig O'Reilly and a good headed goal by Jonathan Smart. The team recovered well from the penalty and won the game comfortably. Elgin were not that bad a side and were dangerous at set pieces, but East Fife were by far the better football team.

I thought Blackadder played well today with several good passes through to the front men. I can't understand why some of the crowd get on his back when he puts a pass astray. There were quite a few poor passes from other players today, but there was no abuse from the crowd. Only when a Blackadder pass didn't find an East Fife player did the crowd react negatively. Give the lad a break!

Here we go again,number one supporter Rabhaw reacting to some supporters criticism of a player.
Bob and others,quite rightly were annoyed at Blackadder and were only stating an opinion on an open forum.
His stupidity probably cost us a goal and could have cost us 3 points...what is wrong in giving your views on that??

I don't think we played badly but I do agree with Bob. I was shouting for subs to be put on and I was also quite angry with Blackadder for stopping rather than running on. We had an excellent advantage and could have capitalised on it.

I was very satisfied with the performance today. Smart was outstanding. O'Reilly took his goals well and caused some bother. Walker just does not give up a ball. McDonald was solid considering he is not long back from injury and has slotted well into the side.

All in all, I'm not going to let the few things that I got a tad annoyed with take anything away from a win!

I'm with Rabhaw. Blackadder is one of the best players we have, yet gets all of the stick. How many passes from our full backs sailed out for Elgin throw-ins today? It is easy to pick fault if you want to. What about his free kick from just inside the Elgin half, near the stand side touch line just before half time? Paul Ritchie stood away from the defence at the far away corner of the Elgin box and did not have to move to header on Blackadders pin point, 40 yard free kick. Smart ran on and hit the post from this header. How many players in the 3rd Division could make this pass? The answer is very few and I think we are lucky to have Blackadder.

I agree with DHAS. I couldn't make the game today but Blackadder is one of the best footballers in the division...we are indeed lucky to have him

Crowd given as 491 today. Second lowest in the country - we need to do better than this!!

CMON THE FIFE

Let`s make something clear.On one ocasson today I shouted at Ryan and in my opinion,was quite justified in doing so.
I agree that he could be one of the best players in the league,but he can be very frustrating at times.Saying that,he has too much to offer to be left out.
What does annoy me though is "fans" like Rabhaw,thinking they are above giving anyone any critisism.

Good performance at times today and an important three points. Well taken goals by Craig O'Reilly and a commanding performance from Johnny Smart (even if Paul Ritchie got the final touch for the goal according to our ace photographer Mr J. Corstorphine)
The Blackadder debate continues. I was getting really frustrated with him today but partly due to Baikies tactics and formation. In the Third Division, Central midfielders need to have a bit of dig about them and be able to get forward to help the strikers and back to help the defence. For this reason I think Blackadder is being played out of position as he is unable to run any distance with or without the ball. This was shown when we were breaking forward 3 on 2 but he stopped for the foul rather than playing the ball forward. Too often Blackadder makes the wrong decision as he is continually looking to play the World Cup pass rather than keeping it simple. His discipline sometimes leaves a lot to be desired - why did he lunge into a tackle in the middle of the park just after we had gone 3-1 up and he then got booked - supidity !! Blackadder seems to be a favourite of Baikies and will play regarless of how he is performing which must be very frustrating for others who are stuck on the bench
In the second half Elgin played with 5 in midfield but Baikie continued to play with only 3 (Gibson, Blackadder and McDonald) Why could he not see that we were toiling in that area ? Yes, we got the result but against some of the promotion challengers we would have been taken to the cleaners ! Why does he leave substitutes so late almost every game ? Rarely do they make any impact.
Got to win next week at East Stirling before the trip to Berwick. C'mon the Fife

There is no doubt that Blackadder has his faults and perhaps the frustration is routed in the fact he is capable of more and we expect more.

That said, he would always be in my team as he can turn a game in an instant

Once again Baikie delays making a substitution at a vital time in the match.Virtually everyone in the ground could see that we needed fresh legs on.Guys like Gordon and Nicholas would walk into any other side,so why not bring them on earlier.

What a load of bollocks "DROP BLACKADDER NOW" He,s arrogant, greedy, no tacticle awareness, an HATED in the dressing room.

I agree with Section J. Blackadder does have his faults and I was frustrated at times with him yesterday but I would always include him in the starting line up.

The players all have faults at some point but it doesn't mean they shouldn't play for us.

Hi Bob. What annoys me are fans like yourself who can never be satisfied! We win a game and yet you post on this site criticising a player. Of course there are faults in all of the players from time to time, but why is it you and your like always concentrate in them and cannot find it in yourself to praise the players instead?
Maybe I am criticising you unfairly too, because you are right in what you said actually, but why was there no praise in your post as well? Kerrian found something positive to say while at the same time agreeing with your comments, why not you?

Didn`t I say that Ryan had too much to offer to be left out?...Isn`t that praise?
Dearie me..

Fair enough Bob. As regards being 'above' giving anyone criticism, that is not the case. The reason I post on here is because there is far too much criticism of the players and the manager. I hear it from a few voices in the crowd week after week and it totally pisses me off! Then to read it on here, even after a win....well??

Blackadder is the type of player who attracts criticism when things are not going well. There are a few players who have been dire during a bad spell but do not suffer as much criticism.
A few points already made I agree with....
Blackadder pulling up when in possession.
Not putting subs on when absolutely nothing was happening.
Walker playing for a while as front man
My biggest gripe is that at home we seldom seem to be able to take the initiative. Elgin was another make or break game. Playing the bottom team at home we allow them to dominate the early stages. Difficult to criticise too much when we won but it will not be as easy to come back if we give the other challengers a goal start.
Enough negatives. We are back in with an outside chance of the title and a good chance of a play-off position. Quite a few players are finding form again and as a team it's looking better so let's go for it.

Have to agree with Bob here. giving the players a bit of criticsm is all part of football. If you don't critisize the players then they will keep on making the same mistakes.

I agree with Rabhaw, Blackadder is playing out of position and after his foot-stamping performance when we were three-on-one I'd move him to his new position, the bench. From there he could watch the game as the team performs with the emphisis very much on the team and not on him

A first time for everything. First time that we have come back from losing the first goal and salvaged at least a point or was that also Albion at home ?

Blackadder should definitely be taken to task for stopping running, but at the same time , it's a snap decision, compounded by the fact that he was no doubt very frustrated at somebody trying to pull the shirt and skin from his back.

The guys a good player and hopefully he'll return to the kind of form he was playing during the first half of the season, when he really was commanding the midfield.

Well done to Jablonski for taking one for the team as well. That looked feckin' sore.

You're not wrong Mr(s) Hedgehog. Apart from the fact that I'm rubbish, that is why I don't play football. I would cry like the big girl that I am if that had happened to me! It looked damn sore!

I cannot believe some of what is being said about Blackadder. Like all creative players, he is a confidence player. So why then attack his confidence? Especially after he has helped guide his team to a good victory. He did so whilst having to play in a midfield that had a winger, striker and player who has been out for almost a year! Give him a chance and watch what he does for the whole game, not just the back heels. Watch the bits where he does track back, plays the simple one-twos and changes the direction of play. Put simply, I would much rather have him in my team than have to play against him. Other teams know this and that is why they mark him. He will hopefully get more room again when the other teams realise what a threat Walker is as well. All of the team played well on Saturday, reading this you wouldn't think it.

Also has anyone noticed how quiet the Linos have become since we started winning again?

"All the team played well on Saturday"...erm,no they didn`t!
We were lucky and if we were playing any of the other promotion challengers,we wouldn`t have got 3 points.