Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Arbroath v Elgin

I read on the BBC Scotland news website that an Elgin player - Niven - had a fractured/broken jaw and missing teeth after being assaulted while getting on the team bus after the game- apparently by an Arbroath player.

Nae handbags this time.

Re: Arbroath v Elgin

Allegedly it was Joe Savage who asaulted him.

And here was me thinking it sounded like our friend from the East Neuk.
Never make assumptions eh?

It wasn`t that long that the Arbroath fans were calling us thugs.
Also see that they have the highest amount of opposition players sent off agaisnt them..nothing to do with referee intimidation of course.

Footballer attacked after match
A police investigation has been launched after a footballer was assaulted, allegedly by a rival player, after a match in Arbroath.
Elgin City defender David Niven needed hospital treatment for serious facial injuries after the Third Division game against Arbroath on Wednesday night.

The 20-year-old was attacked as he prepared to leave the Gayfield Park ground after the match.

Tayside Police said they were "actively pursuing lines of inquiry".

Earlier, there was a mass brawl on the pitch, involving virtually every player, following a heavy tackle on Arbroath's Jay Stein soon after the home side had scored a last-minute winner that secured a 2-1 victory.

As Niven prepared to leave the stadium later, he was said to have been involved in a violent confrontation with a member of the home team.

Pitch 'rammy'

After being taken to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, he was found to have suffered a broken jaw, missing teeth and suspected nerve damage.

Elgin City director Martyn Hunter said: "There was a rammy on the pitch, a stramash that rightly resulted in two players being sent off.

"About 20 minutes later, as David Niven was about to go home, there was a confrontation that resulted in him suffering facial injuries."

Mr Hunter said the two teams enjoyed a terrific relationship, which he hoped would not be prejudiced by the incident.

Arbroath FC said the club was currently conducting an internal investigation.

Here's a slightly longer piece in today's Courier. Never like to see players get into bother. Football should be played with a good bit of passion but it would seem that this assault took place well after the game. Will be interesting to see what Arbroath do.

Probing cause of player’s injury
By Ralph Barnett
TAYSIDE POLICE said yesterday they were “actively pursuing lines of inquiry” following an incident at Arbroath FC’s Gayfield Park on Wednesday night which left a young Elgin City player requiring hospital treatment for facial injuries.

Elgin City central defender David Niven (19), who is on loan from Highland League side Ross County, was taken first to Arbroath Infirmary and then by ambulance to Ninewells Hospital after suffering a fractured jaw in an incident at the ground shortly after the rearranged Third Division match between Arbroath and Elgin.

The game ended with scenes of chaos following Ian Dobbins’ late winner for the home side and, as the sides played out the final few minutes of injury time, a fierce tackle by Elgin’s Hugh Dickson on Arbroath forward Jay Stein sparked off a series of confrontations involving all 22 players as well as substitutes and managerial staff.

Dickson and Arbroath’s Joe Savage were both shown red cards for their part in the fracas—the latter fervently protesting his innocence and claiming he had been struck.

They joined the home side’s Paul Watson who had been sent off moments earlier for his over-exuberance in celebrating Dobbins’ goal.

It is understood that further incidents took place in the corridors linking the home and away changing rooms and that, as the Elgin players made their way out of the ground, a further confrontation took place.

After the incident, Niven was driven to Arbroath Infirmary by Arbroath FC director Ian Angus but, due to the severity of his injuries, he was quickly transferred to Ninewells.

No one has been arrested or charged in connection with the incident but the police are still anxious to speak to anyone who witnessed it. There is widespread speculation the assault was by an Arbroath player.

Arbroath FC president John Christison would only say, “The club is conducting an internal investigation into the matter.”

A club spokesman said later, “We are aware of the current situation, but it would not be appropriate for the club to make any further comment while a police investigation or legal proceedings are ongoing.”

The spokesman added, “We have an excellent relationship with Elgin City and feel sure that this incident will not affect that relationship in the future.”

More forthcoming, however, was Elgin City financial director Martyn Hunter, who said, “I was obviously at the game and I thought it was a cracking match between two Third Division sides.

“At the end of the game there was a bad tackle and then a bit of a rammy which, from my viewpoint, the referee dealt with properly by issuing two red cards and sending the players concerned off the field.

“After the game I was in a people carrier outside the ground, waiting to drive our Elgin contingent home, when I was told that one of our players had been involved in an incident.

“I got out of the vehicle and saw David Niven with facial injuries which obviously required urgent medical treatment.

“One of the Arbroath directors who was in the vicinity kindly offered to take David to Arbroath Infirmary and we followed them up there.

“Once he was looked at, the medical staff said he had to be transferred to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, where I understand he was treated for a broken jaw and some loose teeth, as well as possible nerve damage.

“Because of the delays, we didn’t get back to Elgin until after 3am and it was only later that I learned of the police investigation.

“I spoke to the charge nurse on the ward and was told David was undergoing surgery.

“More than that I can’t really say, but I would add that we at Elgin City have always had a very good relationship with Arbroath FC and I would hope that whatever happened here will not prejudice that.”

At the player’s request, NHS Tayside did not give out any information regarding David Niven’s injuries or his condition.

A police spokeswoman said, “Investigations into this allegation of assault are ongoing and we would still be keen to speak to any witnesses—both in Arbroath and in Elgin—who might be able to assist us.”

The Sun names Savage as the guilty party, so it must be true.

I wonder how many other burst ups there's been between Arbroath and other teams, I've only heard about the one we had and now this one. Are Arbroath really resorting to thug-like tactics too get out of this division.

Strong play on the park is fair enough but attacking someone after the game is to much, Arbroath should sack the offender at once.

Savage by name, Savage by nature. If true they should throw the book at him, and lock him up. he,s an arsehole.

Should be an interesting last day of the season

Wasn`t it Arbroath who were calling US thugs...2 faced erses!

"Highland League side Ross County"
Eh?