Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bottom team to lose league status ?

I read at the weekend that East Stirling if they finish bottom of the league will lose their league status. Is this true? I didnt know we'd started a pyramid system in the SFL

Re: Bottom team to lose league status ?

I understood it that if they finish bottom this season there up for relegation next season,if a vote is for it.

Anyone able to clear this up?

Found this on P&B from a Shire fan...

"If we finish bottom this time we were threatened with having our membership of the SFL downgraded to Associate membership. After that we basically have 2 seasons to not finish bottom - if we fail to do that there could be a vote on whether we get chucked out of the league for lack of competitiveness."

Would be sad to see them go if they ever did.

Also on the same thread. Interesting statistics. Finances of the SFL clubs

In The Red
Airdrie Utd - 204k
Clyde - 1.63m
Dundee - 19.2m
Gretna - 2.3m*
Hamilton Accies - 1.5m
Livingston - 6m
Partick Thistle - 515k
Queen of the South - 296k
Ross County - 2.47m
Alloa Athletic - 88k
Ayr Utd - 1.98m
Forfar Athletic - 146k
Peterhead - 126k
Raith Rovers - 1.34m
Stirling Albion - 1.38m
Albion Rovers - 91k
Berwick Rangers - 406k
Dumbarton - 39k
Elgin City - 221k
Montrose - 188k
Stenhousemuir - 211k

In The Black
St Johnstone - 673k
Cowdenbeath - 409k
Morton - 5.8m*
East Fife - 199k
East Stirlingshire - 87k

Not Available

Brechin City
Stranraer
Arbroath
Queen's Park

*includes figures of parent companies.

Where do Cowden get their moolah ? The stock cars i take it

Interesting that Cowden and East Stirling have so much money and yet have no proper toilets with basics like soap, running water etc on the terracing side of the ground. That said Cowden is one big toilet...got that in just before someone else said it

No indication of the period these nos relate to but at best they are 2005-2006.
As an example look at RR,St. Albion and Hamilton.
Turnover is possibly in the range of 500K - 750K against a debt of £1m + and it is unlikely that a profit is possible in Divs 1-2.
Surely it is just a matter of time before their lenders say time up unless of course some of the bean counters out there can put a different spin on these nos.

Thank goodness this is outdated stuff, and our chairman then was??????

The outlook appears to be a little brighter for us.

If i were an EF fan i would have some serious reservations on the financial structure of the club unless some lessons have been learned. Just ask at an AGM and try to get a straight answer.

And if were a Raith Rovers fan I would mind my own business and post on my own club's forum....

Dundee are 19.2 Million in the red? I had no idea the financial situation at Dens was so dire! Another two or three seasons outside the SPL and I think they'll be defunct. That sort of debt just isn't sustainable in the Scottish League.
Other clubs who must be rather worried are Clyde and Stirling Albion. As neither club actually owns their stadium they have no real assets to speak of - so what are their substantial debts secured against?
There are other clubs listed as heavily in debt who have grounds which are on the verge of falling apart - including one or two who have done a cosmetic job on a rickety old stadium and are now fooling themselves into thinking they're up there with the big boys. Very worrying for the future of the Scottish game as we know it!

BP
If someone makes a statement or comments about my team on an open forum i am perfectly within my rights to contradict or agree the validity of the topic.
As you can see from my post i also included a warning to the supporters of EF about the financial concerns and previous record of financial management at our club. If you wish to ignore it then it is your choice i can only go on what went before at our club and use that as a guide. This however may turn out to be wrong,i would not wish the financial problems that we had on any team.

Anyone got the updated list then ?

I think it's from 2006 that one

BP
If someone makes a statement or comments about my team on an open forum i am perfectly within my rights to contradict or agree the validity of the topic.
As you can see from my post i also included a warning to the supporters of EF about the financial concerns and previous record of financial management at our club. If you wish to ignore it then it is your choice i can only go on what went before at our club and use that as a guide. This however may turn out to be wrong,i would not wish the financial problems that we had on any team.

YAWN!!!!!

RR1 I included RR with a few others who must have concerns about their future. You made a vague comment about things looking brighter then start warning EF supporters to be concerned about a financial position that many would envy.
Although I cannot believe these figures reflect a situation as current as 2006 can RR1 estimate RR's current debt and projected P/L for 2006/2007

Stewart Kirkwood

Where are you when we need you?

He's self employed now - won't get much for free.

I will try.
This is the way i read it(it could be wrong but here goes)
RR was part purchased by Rovers fans and an overseas supporter ( who also owns a %in the ground)
various directors who are still there and had shares in the club
The purchase price was near the total debt of the club. Most of the debt was soft loans which were repaid to previous owners. The new owner or majority shareholder has paid big bucks to try and take most of the debt away.
I am not a banker or accountant but we still have debt but not as much as we had previous.

RR1 you do your self an injustice - you are a 'banker'

At last someone who looks up to me!!!

Did someone mention soap and Cowdenbeath in the same sentence. That's new. Derrick's influence ??