Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Scotland game

Maybe one for the Fife's foreign legion, but trying to get a radio station that's carrying the Scotland game. The BBC one doesn't allow me to listen down here, Clyde wont let me get on. HELP!!!

Re: Scotland game

YOU.RE LUCKY YOU CAN.T SEE IT.BECAUSE DEREK BROWN APPEARED ON OUR TV SCREENS

you're having a laugh... didn't know goodyear was sponsoring the game

SITTING WITH ALL THE OFFICIALS, WITH HIS BLAZER ON.

makes you sick enough to put you off your coco pops. So I take it then it's through his Cowden directorship then?

cracking result for our southern friends at half time...pmsl

Are you trying to listen online or on an actual radio?

I'd have thought you'd get a live feed on listen now on the bbc website.

That's what my plans were to be after I move, so hope so

Unbelievable seeing Broons face there about 30 minutes into the game.
Wonder what capacity he was representing the SFA in?

Jesus. That man is the hingeriest of hingers on.

As for the game itself.... a typically Scottish performance I would say. We didn't really expect a win, didn't get it, but plenty of positives (Ferguson in particular - why does he not play like that all the time?), and if we get lucky we might just turn them over at Hampden. I thought they just had that extra wee bit of quality, but we were never blown away. And our marking for that first set-piece was guff.

GoF you better get something organised fast then. BBC do not send sportsound overseas, so you cant listen to it on the web. It's usually ESPN that carry the football here on sky, and it's an annoying oirishman that does it. Watching the vidiprinter just doesnt do it....

I thought Barry Fergusson was absolutely CRAP he hardly sprung two passes together,it was like watching Berti Vogts teams all over again,how Alex Mcleish is manager I don't know,McManus,Weir and Hartley,midfield are no better,we haven better defenders here at bayview with Johnathan Smart,Tam Courts and Neil Jablonski midfield,why do we try to believe we can defend against teams,we can't if don't have decent defenders,

Surprised to see Alexander still playing when Murty is a regular for Reading.

thought Ferguson had a decent game against THE WORLD CHAMPIONS.
Gordon had two world class stops and no chance with either goal.
Kenny Miller ran all night and for a change held the ball up pretty well but no real threat.
McManus tried to beat Toni for headers and fouled him every time when a more experienced defender (like the commentator said) would have tried to put him off but concentrate on getting the second ball, he gave away 3 freekicks in the 1st 15mins in exactly the same place, 1 of which they scored from but it could easily been all 3. Apart from that he played well and saved Weirs lack of pace on more several occasions.
Weir was as good as you would have expected an old man to be against class players.
Alexander, Naysmith, McCulloch and Teale - everytime they got the ball they expected the Italians to take it off them and seemed to lack the confidence that Brown, Hartley and Maloney had, at least they tried to go past people.
Disappointed we never really tested Buffon and again a Scottish team comes home not creating enough chances and running out of ideas in the last third.

Unbelievable that Clown Brown was in Bari.

Yeah Gof, when I was in Germany I couldn't get any live BBC feeds. Had to settle for the live Score Centre on Sky.

If you look on the net though sometimes exiles have got the specific address for a live link and if you put it in the VLan media player (i think it's called - it'll play. I got Five Live a few times doing that.

I thought we did as well as could be expected. Easy to forget that a year ago we were pathetic yet here we are against the World Champions who, on a man to man comparison, are far superior yet we were not humped and at times played not too badly.
We competed quite well as a team and although a few
positions are debatable this is the best we have.
Beating Italy at Hampden will be very difficult but not impossible.

I thought Ferguson was brilliant last night Zak. He made alot of quality passes and showed some good touches.

Hartley had a better game last night than he did on Saturday which, IMO, was the worst I had seen him play. Kenny Miller worked his socks off but his first touch was incredibly poor.

Italy will be there for the taking when we play them at Hampden. I cannae wait!

Ferguson was rank lastnight, Scott Brown was my mom.

He was not rank at all. Jeezus krist. What game were you lot watching?

**stamps feet, gets coat and storms off in the big girly huff!**

I thought Ferguson played reasonably well. An opinion that he was crap is maybe based as much on who he plays for as how he played.

Disagree TOC,I want to see the best players on the park,it does not matter to me who they play for,I quite like fergie,but he seems to get lost when he is playing for Scotland,as well as always being injured in the past.

I blame Craig Gordon for last night. Can't believe im only person to think so but he was dire last night and should have had both goals despite the poor defending.

Ferguson did play well, although The Wife thought otherwise. When he played a decent ball he wanted to hang back and look for the safe option rather than making the forward run. Some of the one-touch, triangular passes made by Scotland was better than I have seen in a long time. It all gives me hope for the remaining games as we were expected to lose this one.

'I blame Craig Gordon for last night. Can't believe im only person to think so but he was dire last night and should have had both goals despite the poor defending.'

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Some of you lot should have your eyes taken off you in punishment for your comments

Getting back to the original point, if any exiles can help me out (and GoF, if he does turn into a moose), let me know...

bottom line right !

barry ferguson is total shite.

carlesberg dinnae do overated fitbaw players but if they did ........

Was he Barry the crab?

Just to echo HB's point, any help would be great!

I know we didn't really expect to win the game, but was left feeling a bit deflated.

Scott Brown has certainly developed into a fantastic international class player this season.

I just hope that McCoist can hone Boyd into being as prolific as he was in a Scotland shirt. Two deadly, on fire strikers would set us up brillaintly going forward.

Canada still on the cards GoF?

Sure is. Off mid September, so it's getting scary now!

aye Gof trying to track radio commentaries on the net can be tricky, BBC site is dissappointing , they seem to close the linksmore than keep them open for exiles, occasionally can pick up live scottish commenatries through radio scotland, but its usually slighly uninspiring ties, ie ICT v Falkirk on a tuesday evening, which turned out to be a cracker one early morning here while the sun was rising ! or maybe I was desparate, domestic nz footie doesn't excatly set the heather on fire postcard records style, can be worse though try following cricket from afar ! pesky sky tv may have to beckon

GoF, not sure if it's Vancouver you are going to but I go over every year.

There is a Vancouver TA that try to get live coverage of all the games. www.vancouverta.com/ They never seem to have a constant venue and they don't always get the live internationals.

There are also a good few Celtic and Rangers supporters club that get every game live and if you are needing to watch live Scottish League football, then that is about your best bet. There is usually a $10 cdn door charge. I went to a Celtic one to watch their Euro games and the Old Firm match. They seemed to be a little diluted compared to 'soccer' fans over here.

I am not 100% sure, but I seem to remember that you get everything but the commentary online at bbc.co.uk, so you still get Traynor's guff and stuff. Best thing to do is set up a Ladbrokes online account, do yer £1 line and sit at the pc screen at 7am every morning.

There is also 3 live English Premier matches on tv every Saturday. I think one is live and the other two are recorded. That also starts at either 7am or 9am.

The Whitecaps are hopefully building a new stadium quite near the centre, so you can still get your live live football fix. Also, try and get into ice hockey as the Canucks are amazing just now and (I may be alone here) I think it is a great spectator sport.

This would be a classic if it's not Van you're going to!!!

Eddie, where about are you? I'm in Hamilton, stuck with only EPL in the sky city sports bar. Waikato are officially crap, even the chiefs are mid table in the 14's.

Thinking about picking an English team for the first time in my life to follow...

Forgot to say GoF, home for a week and a bit in September to pick the hibbeechick up, so if you're still about, say hello... 12k miles to see the Fife!!! Beat that!

HB

If you're over before I head off, give me a shout

HB, we're over the hills on the coast at mt maunganui surviving on the odd glimpse of sheff utd desparately trying to avoid relegation while no one else in the pub is even vaguely aware of such struggles, went to see a waikato tussle which was pretty poor though the oppo waitakere looked to have a couple of decent players, but hardly worth a six hour round trek up to auckland to watch !

You can't hide money!!! Went the other way when I went to Rotarua and ended up in Whakatani. The folks are heading to Gisbourne later this year probably, the old man has a job interview down there. Mind you, the other ones are in South Auckland and Huntly. He better know how to rehab gunshot wounds, they make the Links in KDY look like St Andrews lol!

If I'm up that way, I'll drop you a line, hope there's a good pub...