Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The camera never lies!

I've uploaded a sequence of six photos showing the Stevie Nicholas offside incident. You'll have to scroll down on each photo to read the captions.

Also, now that I've uploaded this to a new file, you'll have to follow the 'view all photos' link to see the other photos from today's game.

Re: The camera never lies!

ummm... I believe the situation isn't about offside ... Nicholas had been involved earlier in a bit of jersy tugging, despite this the Montrose defender clearly fought off the challenge only to make a complete hash of his intended pass which was chased down my Stevie and hence the sequence you capture....my annoyance wasn't the fact that the linesman indicated the jersey tug (it happened) when raising his flag but the sequence of play had clearly developed beyond that point and in my opinion advantage had been played and Nicholas was then penalised for an incompetent pass from the Montrose defender which had nothing to do with the earlier infraction...officials can't then legislate on bad play .... a further concern and one which I hope the referee supervior Mr Valentine would take note of was the physical intervention of said linesman in the 2nd goal celebration...officials can't go around pushing players with two hands in such circumstance

apologies...my bad...I meant O'Reilly was the culprit of the jersey tug.....

I can't comment about anything else that was going on at the time of the alleged "incident". I was fully focussed on Nicholas through the camera lens and, after reading a comment on this forum, thought he'd been pulled up for offside. If I'm wrong I apologise.

Rossco describes it as it was. I might have been more forgiving to the linesman for being so picky here, if he had applied the same standard to at least two of the penalty claims. The incident when the Montrose player handled the ball was right in front of him. Yes it may have been a case of the ball coming up to his hand, but that was as a result of his first touch putting it there. His handling of the ball, also put it out of reach of an East Fife player so he gained an advantage by doing so. It had to be a penalty.

The second claim on his side was when Stevie Nick was taken down had to be one of the strongest claims this season. The defender on the ground had no idea where the ball was and Stevie Nick was running to collect it when the defender felled him. Again, this was right in front of the linesman.

As for the assault on Paul Ritchie, the ref had let that type of challange go all game, so it was no surprise that he waved play on. Some of the high ball challenges today were shocking. To my mind, the ref just encouraged them and did nothing to protect the players.

What is to be gained by pushing the players back after celebrating the goal? There is a fence one yard on! We have had some very poor officials at our games this season. This lot were the pick of the bunch though.

One sign of a poor referee is not giving free kicks for ariel challenges. The incident with Ritchie was a clear penalty.
Admittedly he did give free kicks later when some of the challenges for high balls from the Montrose players so obvious that Stevie Wonder would have given them.
I don't think that the one with Nicholas was a penalty but feel that the hand ball might have been given.

If the foul on Ritchie had been outside the box,it would most definately have been given as a foul.
Yesterdays Ref was one of the worst I have seen this season and the standside linesman wasn`t much better.

After watching my first game in a while my first comments are on the banter which has not changed. I was not too impressed with the first half but the 2nd half things got a bit better. The 2 penalty claims were 50/50, I've seen them given and also not given. The tackle on Nicholas could have been given but I think the ref got it right about the hands incident. Hate to say it but the kick and run football is still part of the game. My son also commented on this but we might be spoiled by the slick, fluent passing football we watch in Holland. Oops, gonna be sick after saying that. Also can't get over having to pay 9 quid to watch a 3rd division game for the same money I can watch a premier league game here.
The decision against S.N. was not for offside but for a so-called tug by C O'R on a Montrose defender. What I noticed was all the players went to congratulate S.N. with goal except for Mr Blackadder who literally hopped and skipped back to the half way line, maybe his way of celebrating.

We enjoyed our Saturday day out and hope to repeat it sometime in the not too distant future.