Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Manager

So do the people that were shouting for the managers job a few weeks ago, still think he should be sacked?
IMO, a play off place is a massive achievement compared to the last few years and would have taken it at the start of the season...

Re: Manager

I agree. Some people started calling for Baikie's head when were were top of the league! There are people in this world who can't wait to have a go - and I'm sure they'll surface again during the next dip in form. I guess it easier to pick faults and highlight failings than to keep the faith and offer support. Disapointing, but it seems to be the way these days.

east fife are in fourth place in the league. until the rules were changed three seasons ago, fourth place was failure, and not even a near-miss. can either of you honestly say that fourth place in a league as poor as this represents good value for what has been spent on the first team squad this season?

HB says "a play off place is a massive achievement compared to the last few years". I disagree. you can't compare with the last few years because baikie has had at least double the budget than was available before.

willie gray's money has taken east fife into the play-offs, but only just. gray should take great credit for that. the manager still has a lot to prove.

Not Convinced (appreciate yer opinion but ---) ... F**k Off! See types like you.. make me puke.. maybe we have not won the league.. (still a wee chance we might, albeit slight) but what we have seen this year compared to last year is a massive improvement, play offs gives us a chance - - a great chance.! if you want guaranteed success go and follow the celts or the gers ya f**ck wit. END OF!

I quite understand that what I said makes you puke. Sometimes we just can't stomach the truth.

There was a shout yesterday of 'O'Reilly get off the park'.

You have to laugh at some idiots!

Okay. Not Convinced. As I said I appreciate your opinion. If you pay your dollar you can vent your views - good or bad, upsetting or appreciated. Personally yes I want to see the fife do great - win every game and be the best... but the world I live in is not pink and fluffy - its reality. We have limited resources (thanks Willie what you have done it is well appreciated) and what we have cannot guarantee success or near success but can generate belief and excitement. As I said we have lived in the world of shite for a few seasons.. so okay we will not win the league... but from a supportives perspective (home and away) its been exciting and well worth every penny. Come on the play offs ... its not over yet!

It' not beyond the realms of possibility that we will finish 2nd. I think we will go above QP next week & could be going to Arbroath on the last day with a chance to go 2nd. This season has been a big improvement on previous seasons, the problem is we were punching above our weight for so long. We have only lost 3 goals in the last 8 games ( 2 at Berwick & a penalty v Elgin)and a huge fact in this has been Greig McDonald moving back into defence. Doddsy's confince has grown duing thse games & od cour J Smart is just J Smart. Really looking forward to the last 3 games, we are under no real pressure as the play offs are secure & should be free to enjoy ourselves.

LIAM TOTALY AGREE . CMON THE FIFE

Stauner i don't disagree with a word of your latest post. I just feel that there is so much exciting potential at the club that it is crucial that we get the right person making the big decisions. That's what i'm not convinced about. east fife are a club on the up. can baikie turn that potential into reality?

Liam i agree with you. the next three games should be a time to enjoy.

Fouth place is not an achievement? Compared to what we have had to watch over the last few years! Are you serious?
I bet you are one of the 'bunnet' brigade that used to stand behind the goals at old Bayview, continually moaning their heads off abut how crap the football was and how better it was back in the old days.

Money doesn't come into it, look at Stenny last year. East Fife do not have a devine right to win every game and whilst I am as disappointed as anyone not to win the league, I also live in the real world. I always thought a certain section of the support had an arrogance to it, we are East Fife, we should be challenging for the 1st etc, when the reality of Scottish football is that we couldn't compete with the financial clout of St J, Dundee and so on.

A play off is a massive jump of progress even if we do not go up and the calling for the managers job was actually a disgrace when the season wasn't finished. If we had not reached a play off place then yes, it would be reasonable to ask questions but not when there was a fighting chance.

last year we were seventh in the league, when the club was being driven into the ground by an ego maniac, and the manager's budget was barely more than elgin city and east stirlingshire.

this year after all the changes that have taken place to improve the club, and when the budget is the biggest in the league by a long way, we are three places higher. when do the celebration t-shirts go on sale?

it's an achievement that we have improved. no one would argue with that. but it wasn't difficult. as we heard so many times last season, the club was at the lowest ebb in its history. the only way was up.

So you agree that we have improved, but not enough in your eyes, because of the money spent?

Half empty kind of guy aren't you? If you won the lotto, you would complain that it wasn't the Euro one.. Again I stress the point, we do not have a right to win the league and money does not guarantee success.

I now actually think you are one of the Rovers boys on a fishing trip.

Apologies to the wraith muppets, occasionally one of them talks sense.

I actually feel that the manager did not know what his best 11 players were.At the start ov the season we had alot ov injurys but still we were winning games,and managed to put a good gap between ourselfs and the rest.When the players came back from injury,then his headache began.Who could he drop????I think,like most others on here,if Greg had got back,say 4-5 games before he did we would be still in with a chance ov winning the league.One final note.Alot has been said about John Martin being put out on loan to Kelty,but what about Sam Linton??He did very little wrong,but was put out on loan.Whether we go up or not,i hope Davie has learned alot from this season.

Saturdays team was probably Baikies first 11 (with maybe the exception of Elliot Smith and Paul Walker).
What we have now is a very settled and confident side and the recent stats prove it.Maybe some of us did expect too much this season,given the budget Baikie had,but after what we had previously experienced last season,I suppose it was only natural.
Personally I am not too fussy who we get in the play offs and would hope we can continue our winning run over the last 3 games.
It would be great to go to Arbroath and put one over Raeside and his fellow cheats!

HB i Am not one of the wraith mob. I just have a different point of view from you. and from what i read here, that is not allowed.

Aye, god forbid that you have an opinion that goes against the establishment on this site. You log on, post an honest viewpoint and get roundly abused for your trouble! Jeez what a thin skinned lot some of you are.

Some of our 'supporters' are just as bad as the Queens Park lot on Saturday!

Moan, moan, moan!

If you aren't happy don't go to games. If you have nothing better to do than whinge and moan all the time don't go to the games. Simple!

aye agree tht 4th places wansnt and achievement a year ago and we would still be complaining right now if it wasnt for the play-offs....and we have improved this year but if it wasnt for the play-off places we would be all moaning right now !!!!!!!!!

Absolutely right. 4th place in a piss poor league is nothing to get excited about. We need to aspire to much higher standards than that!

Who said that we are going to finish 4th? There are the small matter of 3 very important games left. They could see us finish higher still.

I do not think that we have spent the most this season either. Montrose have been heavily backed. Remember Keith Gibson was lured to them instead of us. Stenhousemuir bought half of the Berwick team, Dumbarton kept the majority of their second division team and Arbroath ahve not been shy at dipping into their pockets either. Berwick bought Diack and McGroarty as well. When you look at who we brought in, it has mostly been those playing junior or those at the end of their careers looking for clubs.

This is by no stretch of the imagination a poor league. Keeping Berwick down last year has only made it all the harder to win. Yes, there are 2-3 poor teams but the rest have all invested in winning this league and I am sure, unlike all the other divisions this one will go to the last week (when we smoke the smokies)!

We probably all thought that Moffat was great after one season, but that soon changed. I know there were a few things that go with his time at Bayview but I think Baikie is the real deal. He has been successful for the last decade and will continue to be. If he gets us promoted, then I feel confident that he would be the man to get us competative against the linos and widtinks.

The only thing "not convincing" around here is a few people's lack of self belief. I cannae wait for the next few weeks worth of fitba. This has been the best season, in a long time.

Mon the Fife!

It would be a big lift to morale if we finish higher than fourth. It can be done.

But it's a plain fact that East fife have spent more than any other club in the third division. the wage bill is way ahead of all the rest. that is nothing to do with a lack of self-belief. it is just a fact. no apologies. have you forgotten what willie gray was willing to pay kenny deuchar?

FFS,I can agree and disagree with mosts posts here,but please can we not let it lie until the season is over.I wasn`t a fan of Baikie and he has made some glaring errors,but now he will get my 100% backing,as I believe he may prove the doubters wrong (including me)
This part of the season is crucial and the team needs everyone pulling in the same direction and backing them 100%.

doesny matter where we finish neeber were gaw need ti play at least wan i thum anyway !!!! and we hae a few i our starten players tht have aw bn loaned in and wots gaw happenen nxt season we gaw loose thm and be bck doon the table agen !!! (a hope no like )

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, same way that I am entitled to mine. I personally don't agree with it but hey-ho that's life. I'm hardly part of the 'establishment', and a wee bit thicker skinned than you think, if that's what you were getting at.

Maybe I am not getting this, so please explain. You can see that we are progressing, but not happy because we haven't won the league. This is because of all the money we have spent. You don't think DB is the man for the job and doesn't get the best out of the players.

So what would make you happy? East Fife playing teams off the park every week and scoring at least 6? A monkey on a stick? Charlotte Church dancing naked in front of you while you have you tea?

Reality check here. Proven manager at lower league level gets us into a play off place with a team of players either at the end of their careers, or from the juniors. Possibility of finishing third and when the hell have we done that recently (2003 apart). That's a hell of an improvement in my eyes. We aint a rich/powerful club, and again I stress, MONEY DOESN'T MEAN SUCCESS! We have done the best we could have done with the resources we have, and the calling for the managers head with several games to go was plain stupid. Sure he has made mistakes, but who doesn't?

Besides, I have lost count the number of times East Fife get off to a flyer, dip around the end of November, then come back strongly at the tail end. I used to set my watch to it...

its not over yet!! BELIEVE there is still a small glimmer of hope things can still go our way and we can sneak the title

a said we have made an improvement!!!!! ... but jist look at the players we have got 4 or5 off our starten team players have bn loaned in and just say we get promoted which i do hope we do we are going to need to spend a lot more money thn this year to git players to fill they postions ... and a never db was the man for it a hink the opposit san