Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fatest, dirtiest, and silkiest

Was on Pie/bovril, saw this, and got me thinking..

Who was the fatest, dirtiest (or hardest) and silkiest played you have seen pull on the black and gold.

Fatest was slim Jim Baxter when he came on at half time, when we played the tattie munchers in a testimonial away back God knows when. I think it was an oldie's thing, Davie Clark, Gorman and Bertie Miller were playing as well.

Hardest was Wullie Broon. Trying to fight with Coodung muppets after a tackle went wrong.

Silkiest - Arnie springs to mind, can just about remember Durie, Stevie Kirk before he went to south...

What does everyone else think?

Re: Fatest, dirtiest, and silkiest

The guy dyer was definately the fastest
Archibald was pure silk
Drew Rutherford was the hardest

One player possibly making two categories would be Dixie Deans when he played in the John Martis testimonial (silkiest and fattest).

Tony Speirs possible fattest.

Archiegoal silkiest?

Hardest/Dirtiest: Jim Scott?

Fatest not fastest!!!

Steve Ferguson was the quckest with the ball at his feet that I've seen

Unhealthiest was Robert Scott by a mile. He could score goals though!!!

Remember speaking to him in the social club about an hour before kick off, he was smoking and having a pint of black stuff...

Fattest: Probably Alan Irvine. Ronnie Hildersley also looked like he was no stranger to a fish supper.

Dirtiest: Between three. Jim Scott, Steve Hamilton and Steve "Spider" Ramsay. Iain Printy had that infamous tackle on Brownlie but I can't recall if he did that kind of thing on a regular basis.

Silkiest: Arnold Dwarika just shades it in front of Ken Halley...

Fattest: Billy Gallacher

Dirtiest: Johnny Love

Silkiest: John Lumsden

what about for the opposition?

Fattest:Stephen Tarditi
Dirtiest:Willie Brown
Silkiest:Dave Clark
Ugliest:?

Wullie Broon was no oil painting

Hello Hello

For the opposition, the only one fatter than Yardley I can remember was a former Celtic player (I think Pat McCluskey??) when he turned out for QOS at Bayview in the twilight of his career.

Maybe Kenny Mackay can recall the player in question?

It was Fat McCluskey KOTS. He would get my vote too.
Also remember an embarrassing (yet strangely amusing) effort to shift Bobby Mann by stretcher at Station Park a few years back...

Fattest - Tarditti/Prytz
Fastest - Ferguson/Dyer
Silkiest - Archibald/Dwarika/Prytz
Dirtiest - Ramsay

Thanks, Angus.

Fattest opposition player at Bayview -

Definitely: Pat McCluskey

Maybe: Mick McManus, Mark McNally, Mark Yardley

Dirtiest-Jim Scott.
Fastest-Willie Herd.
silkiest-Arnie.
Fatest-Pritz.

I had no idea Jim Baxter turned out for us in a testimonial! Can anyone confirm this?

ugliest no go to harry kinnear lol

I remember the game clearly Jim. I think it might have been at a testimonial for Gavin Murray (he still makes me shudder) and it was at half time, when all these pensioners came on. Was like a 7 a side thing up the Aberhill end. Everybody was shouting Sumo and stuff at this one guy who nearly needed 2 tops, and I'm certain it was slim Jim. Sorry if I am wrong btw...

Fastest - Alan Blair
Fattest - Billy McPhee (ok he'd retired a few years)
Dirtiest - Willie Broon
Silkiest - Kirkwood

Fatest - Roddy Hutchison
Hardest - Willie Broon
Silkiest Tom Macafferty (Last minute winner 4-3 up at Muirton in 84 lives long in the memory).

Fastest player I have seen at Bayview would be Jerren Nixon, when he played for Trinidad and Tobago.

A testimonial for Gavin Murray?????? He would have been lucky to get a post mortem, never mind a benefit match.

Good call from Ritchie about big fat Roddy. Tom McCafferty was one of my contenders for silkiest player too.

I remember Derek Johnstone turning out for Partick Thistle at Bayview circa mid 80's. By christ he was fucking enormous.

Fastest...Steve Ferguson
Dirtiest..Frank Christie
Silkiest..Arnold Dwarika

Fatest-Steve Tarditi
Fastest-Stevie Ferguson
Silkiest-Arnold Dwarkia(a remember he ripped Rangers to shreads at Ibrox only to be strangley subbed at half time by Jimmy Bone)
Dirtiest-Steve Ramsay

Great shout re Hank Christie Dyker.
My neighbour used to play for Dundee and Morton in the late 50's/ early 60's and he remembers Christie as the dirtiest bastirt that he ever came up against.
Still a Bayview legend though. 1953 and all that...

"Silkiest-Arnold Dwarkia(a remember he ripped Rangers to shreads at Ibrox only to be strangley subbed at half time by Jimmy Bone)"

Might be a slight misquote from Jimmy Bone at the time but he said along the lines of " We don't need luxury players at Bayview" referring to Dwarika. What a fud

Dwarika or Archibald-Silkiest

Wullie Broon or Ray Sharp-Hardest

Tam McManus-Fastest

Ray Sharp was also right up there for the shiniest heid until Paul Hampshire's appearance on Saturday...

"Ray Sharp was also right up there for the shiniest heid until Paul Hampshire's appearance on Saturday... "

There's a photo of him in the corridor of Queen Margaret Hospital playing for Dunfy with a full head of flecked blonde hair..he looks very strange and not quite so hard.

Yes Angus, Hank certainly was a dirty bar steward. Every team needs one to be a success I suppose. Think the first time I saw him "grace" the turf at Bayview was against the Clyde team that boasted Harry Haddock & Tommy Ring in the 50's. After about a minute Hank caught Ring on the back of the thigh. No subs in those days, Ring hobbled up and down the touchline with a deadleg for 89 minutes. East Fife got a 1-1 draw against the Scottish Cup holders of the day.

Stewart i was only 7 or 8 at the time of that game so i dont remember any quotes from that clueless manager,a can just remember being there watchin Arnold rip them to shreads.
If he said that i quite agree.What a fud!!
It`s Jimmy Bone tho.Do we really expect anything apart from stupid comments like that?

In my time,the hardest by a mile is Joe Hughes - he made Wullie Broon look like Julian Clary.
The silkiest is Archibald and the fastest Robert Scott (but only in terms of getting to the bar after a game).

Did Tam McCafferty score two free kicks against plastic whistle when we were in the first div? Was at Bayview...

Tam scored a few long range ones in his time. Particularly remember a beauty in a 2-1 win over the Pars at Bayview. Those were the days when we could roll over Leishman's lot at will.

KOTS-in 83-84 drew busby signed sweeper pat mccluskey he had been playing in the u.s.a. also played for dumbarton.forfar won the league.

my first ever Fife away game was around that time, the 2-4 win for us at east end park. Who were the scorers that day? Remember singing Watson is a fraggle on the bus home...

A glorious performance that day from the Fife, we should have won about 8-0. 2 late goals by Dunfermline gave them a respectable scoreline when we were cruising at 4-0. I think Brian McNaughton got a couple that day, Stewart Burgess and Hugh Hill being the other scorers, the last a 25 yard belter.

Did Durie no score.Remember he took a pen,the goalie saved it un he put the rebound in.

Enfifer - The game you were thinking about was in April 1984, when Durie scored in sothing like seven consecutive games to take us from nowhere to promotion. The win at East End set us up to clinch second place the following week at home to Queens Park.
The 4-2 win at East End was in August 86, just four days after the epic League Cup tie against Rangers at Bayview. Despite the 120mins and penalties, we went out to destroy Dunfermline on the Saturday.

fatest has to be jim slavin for partick thistle when we wre in the 1st

Yardley was definately the fatest for the opposition in recent times. Dunno if it's an urban myth, but I heard he was sponsored by Gregg's steakbakes.

Fattest EF player was surely that trialist striker we had about 2 or 3 years ago pre-season. Think he had previously been with Bradford City and had played in the Premiership at one point.
Can't remember his name though.
Dirtiest - Steve Ramsay.
Silkiest - Dave Clarke.
Fastest - Dyer.

The 4-2 demolition of Dunfy was one of my favourite East Fife matches of all time. I met up with mates in my local in Dunfermline afterwards who had left early and had assumed East Fife won 6 nil after they left early and heard 2 cheers thinking it was 2 more East Fife goals.
Growing up as an East Fife fan in Dunfermline was great because we always seemed to beat them back in late 70's to mid 80's.

Thanks, keizer.

Airdrie Fifer: Jim Slavin - I've been trying to remember his name for this thread. Looked like he'd swallowed a space-hopper.

Cheers Ritchie.

Heres a few for the oldies ?

Fattest - Johnny ( Geronimo ) Walker
Silkiest - Tom ( Bauldy ) Steven
Dirtiest - got to agree Wullie Broon

The 4-2 demolition of Dunfy was one of my favourite East Fife matches of all time. I met up with mates in my local in Dunfermline afterwards who had left early and had assumed East Fife won 6 nil after they left early and heard 2 cheers thinking it was 2 more East Fife goals.

Was there no Premier League that weekend, cos I can seem to remember this match being the headline one in the Sporting Post that night?

Tom Steven silkiest??? You're 'avin' a larf, aintcha?

Sulkiest maybe.