Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Play-Off Semi-Final Opponents

Who will we play in the play-off semi? With only two games to go, I make it there are still 7 possibles...

Peterhead, Alloa, Stranraer, Berwick, Arbroath, Queen's Park and Dumbarton.

One thing that's certain (unless I'm mistaken)is that we won't know who it'll be until the last day of the season, as there's no combination of results this week that will settle it completely.

I was gonna do some what-ifs but there's dozens of possible scenarios, so I'll foolishly venture a prediction instead...

Play-Off Semis...
Stranraer v Queen's Park
Berwick v East Fife

Any other predictions?

Re: Play-Off Semi-Final Opponents

Could be wrong here (it's been known to happen!), but if we win, QP loose, and Arbroath don't win this weekend, it'll be us Vs the Smookies in the semi.

Getting Arbroath 3 games in a row could be fun. Firstly, we stop them from winning the title, then we stop them getting promotion altogether!

Hmm, nearly!

Change your hypothesis (Eugene taught me that word) from "Arbroath don't win" to "Arbroath lose" and I reckon you're right (if Arbroath draw, they can still catch Berwick).

So, in the amended scenario we would find out our opponents this week, just not the venue i.e. home or away first.

Any advance?

Good work btw, but what's your prediction for the semi-final line-ups?

I reckon the best scenario is for Arbroath to pip Berwick for the championship. This would leave Berwick in a play-off spot and low on confidence due to the fact they would have capitulated two years on the trot.

I see Arbroath on the ascendancy and my viewpoint will be vindicated or rubbished in a couple of weeks once we play them.

Berwick, Queens Park, Stranraer and even Arbroath aren't startling opposition and would tip E.F. to beat each and every team on their day.

On the play-off subject, are away goals taken into account?

i don't think they are

Prediction, same as yours:
Stranraer v Queen's Park
Berwick v East Fife
attendance 1,899

Arbroath home and away in the play offs would generate a sell out at New Bayview and we would take around a 1000 to Gayfield I would reckon.

Away goals don't come into play. From the SFL website...

"The winning club in each tie will be the club to score the greatest number of goals over the two matches. In the event that the aggregate scores are equal after the second leg of each tie in the play off competition extra time of 30 minutes (i.e. 15 minutes each way) will take place and thereafter if necessary kicks from the penalty mark will be taken in accordance with the rules laid down by the International Football Association Board which will decide the winner."

Also from the SFL site, regarding the play-off FINAL...

"The home team in the first tie will be determined by the drawing of lots."

I would just love it if we not only thumped Arbroath on the last day of the season but also in the two play-off games. IMO Arbroath have tried to kick their way out of this league while Berwick have played as a team (apart from Haynes) and deserve the title. That is not to say that Berwick have the best players, we have that, but they have the best team.

You have the best players?

Yes at hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch, we will destroy you next week easily and if we should play you in the playoffs we will take you apart.

You're shyte.

Walter, you've got a bite.

Walters right, on paper we do have the best players but on grass we don't always produce our best. Having said that we are on top form and looking comfortable. Arbroath on the other hand are up against it in the next two games and mentaly may not cope with the pressure of failing in the run in to win the league then have to rise their game in the pay offs.

It always makes me laugh when someone takes the bait, I dangle my worm in the water and pull out a smokie.

By the way why are you looking at an East Fife forum, don't you have one of your own.

Why would we cave if we dont win the league?

We haven't been top once this season

1000 to Gayfield i do not think you guys have had 1000 at home all season, what make you think that 1000 would make the trip when you get around 600 at your big home games.

away back to yer kircoddie cave ya rovers' monkey.
fife fans stand independent and true. five major honours behind us, more to come.
stick yer gordon unionist brown and your stars and stripes up your kircoddie arses.
next season the mighty fife will be chasing you up and down pratt street once again.

WOW,
One thing dear lady you have to be in the same league to do that,woman and football do not mix well.
Do you have any technicolour photos of your cup winning sides as i have not seen any and my Grandparents are all dead so i could not ask them.
Do take a look at Statto.com dear and you will find that your team unlike mine seem to like playing in the worst sfl division for very long periods at a time.
As for your comment about running in Pratt Street let me tell you that that sort of thing went out in the late 80`s, mind you that is nearly around the time you were last in the same division as us. The prosecution rests.
I must be getting old.

still the most successful team in Fife by some margin, my unionist and state sponsored terrorist supporting friend

No Labour MP's in Levenmouth?

you'll never see the butchers apron or the stars and stripes at bayview that's for sure.
at least in the home end

Why not 1000? when we took over 2000 to East End at a time when our home attendances were lower than present.

RaithRovers1,Why cant we take 1000 to Gayfield on a Saturday afternoon,we took 2000 to east end on a Tuesday night in our worst season for a while.Took 2000 to Stenhousemuir when we went there to try stay up in divison 2,we had over 2000 fans in Bayview day we went up against Queens park even tho attendance wont show it but everyone knows we did.
I think we could took over 1000 no problem in the play offs esepcially if rumour about free buses is true.Plus Gayfeild isnt that far from Fife is it?
Is it that much further than Stenhousemuir?Im not sure but im taking a guess and going to say its not that much further.
Also its a known fact that if you have a chance of doing well your going to get fans out to the games where ever in the country it is to support the team.

Some of you guys must have been in Seville?

I dunno if there were 2,000 at Stenhousemuir.... it was a lot, but I don't think it was that many - and I was sober at the time because I had exams a few days afterwards. But we certainly had that many at Dunfermline - I think they only opened 2 or 3 gates for us and the queues were enormous. Is a promotion play-off a game of similar standing to that?

Well, the way i see it is you guys have had big games this season and were top of the third for ages and they did not come to see you. So why now?

Because we have a big chance of progressing it happens at everyclub!
Big big games like this bring out many fans who either havent been since a big game like this the last time or in donkey years.
For instance Sunday Dunfermline took 7000 to Hampden, since when did they get 7000 fans at home games?Not once this season.

Because we are the Kings of Fife.

Now go away you stupid boy...