Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
KEVIN QUITS ROVERS FOR BAYVIEW

KEVIN QUITS ROVERS FOR BAYVIEW

Kevin Fotheringham accepts his Starcheck player of the year trophy from FFP sports reporter Matthew Elder

KEVIN Fotheringham has played his last game for Raith Rovers after agreeing a move to Methil to join the growing list of former players at East Fife.
The left back was close to tears on Saturday as the curtain came down on his 101st and final appearance for the Kirkcaldy club in front of 1600 travelling fans at Stirling.

The Fife Free Press Starcheck winner threw his shirt into the crowd at the end of the 3-1 defeat that ended Raith's pursuit of promotion to the First Division.

Fotheringham explained: "I was offered a contract from East Fife about eight weeks ago, and I spoke to the manager – and Raith couldn't match it.

''At this stage in my career I'd love to have stayed but I've got to look after my family now. I'm coming up for 32 and I've probably only got another two or three years left so I have to maximise my earning potential.

"I wanted to stay and the gaffer wanted me for, but when someone is offering you nearly double the money you can't knock it back at my age."

Whether or not fans understand his reasons for moving to a local rival, and a smaller club, the fact remains that Fotheringham has been a big part of Rovers' relative success this season.

He racked up the most number of appearances among the current squad this season in his second spell at the club.

"I've made 99 starts which is a bit of a blow because I could have had my 100th next week if we'd made it to the final," he said.

"But I've played twice as a substitute so that's 101 appearances which I'm glad of because it gives me a wee bit of a milestone.

"The happiest times I've had in my career have been at Raith Rovers and it will be something I look back on fondly."

Fotheringham's departure only adds to the disappointment following Saturday's play-off defeat and the departing full back admitted that the team didn't perform when it mattered.

"We weren't at the races," he confessed. "They were the better side over the two games. We got ourselves in front with a good goal, then we've had to hold on as long as we can but we lost one within two minutes and that's knocked the stuffing out of us.

"It gave them a lift and they went from strength to strength whereas we looked jaded. Games have maybe just taken their toll and we just didn't have the legs.

"We tried, but we will hold our hands up and say we were well beaten over two legs."

Pressure

The absence of any fluent football during the play-off games can perhaps be explained, according to Fotheringham, by the heightened pressure of the knock-out format.

"If you look at the eight games we went without conceding compared to the last two matches we've just played it's like night and day," he said.

"Maybe the occasion got to us a wee bit. We didn't look to pass the ball, there was no movement and we reverted to punting the ball up the park. That's not us.

"I don't know what went wrong, it just didn't happen on the day."

He also pointed out that the panic after going ahead, which led to a penalty and an equaliser being conceded within 60 seconds, was down to a lack of experience.

"Some of the younger lads need a wee bit of composure at times in clearing their lines," he said.

"We had chances to put our foot through the ball but we panicked and started swinging and sclaffing at things and that's led to the penalty. We just had to see out the five minutes, shut up shop and try and hit them on the break but as soon as they equalised it gave them a massive lift.

"The young kids will learn so there are positive signs for next season."

Re: KEVIN QUITS ROVERS FOR BAYVIEW

"Whether or not fans understand his reasons for moving to a local rival, and a smaller club, the fact remains that Fotheringham has been a big part of Rovers' relative success this season."

Best article I've ever read!!!!

Slightly worrying if we are offering double what the Rover's are offering!

Simple things Jono...

The money he is "allegedly" being paid is amazing for a third Division part-time club (still hope it will be second division - honestly).

Has become a Rovers legend - all the best at your new found home Fozzie.

Another players in his 30s signing is worrying enough but the fact that he is only moving for the money is worse. Fotheringham clearly would rather have remained at the Rovers so hardly a case of bringing in players hungry for success at Bayview.

It was great to get rid of DB but the amount of money being thrown about by Gray cant be sustainable. The Cowden goalie was offered a similar deal - double anything offered - but chose to remain at Central Park for guaranteed 2nd division football. How many other players have been promised double the money to move to East Fife. Also only a matter of time before the inland revenue come visiting....

Stevo - What Wullie Gray spends HIS money on has F'all to do with you mate! Comments on possible tax avoidance are way out of order too! Just be happy he is with us and is trying to make the club successful. He is the best thing to happen to East Fife for years.

I did say afew months back about the money thing at EF.
It has all the makings of what we went through a few years back. I would not wish that on any team. It is not good if your club spend more than it can bring in at the gates.
A concerned RR1

I have already posted this but at the recent AGM the board reported a healthy balance sheet. The CE (Sid Collumbine not WG) stated the club would not go into debt to pay players. I have no inside knowledge but
can only assume WG funds a great deal of this cost.

I've been unhappy with the way Fotheringham has conducted himself here, you could say that he was being honest but there are times when people should learn to bite their tounge. I don't think he will be very popular at Bayview because of this.