Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Manager?

Take it from me,a new MANAGER WILL BE IN PLACE FOR NEXT SEASON!

Re: New Manager?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Well he couldn't get us up - had his go.

Would like to see a change now.

That's the worst, most negative performance, given the magantute of that game, I have ever witnessed in 20 years of following East Fife.

What we got today was a Junior Manager having a team playing Junior Football and not for the first time. Ask the players about training methods - training not coaching to make them better players and a better team. In a game we had to win, couldn't believe he didn't use John Martin !
Before people start saying, he at least got us to the Play-off Final think - are we playing any beter football than was played under Jim Moffat ?? Think about the difference in the budget each man has had and is Baikie getting the best out of the players. What about the fitness of the players ? no real pace in the team. Look at Queen's Park today - players were all fit and very mobile.
Not sure if the talk of a new Manager is true especially as four players have already been signed - Tweed, Guy, Fotheringham and Stewart. Time will tell !!!

Have to say that although Dave and Mel etc are good guys,it is time for a change. TBH,the football we have had to witness at times has been shocking.
Junior manager playing junior football is spot on and we cannot afford this next season.
We did not create one good chance today,in a game we had to win by 2 clear goals.An example of Baikies mind is playing Courts as a defensive midfielder....eh?
2 guys were at the game today and "in the know" is correct,there will be a change.

The Campbell twins - would they really be an improvement?

We have failed,with by far the biggest budget in the league. Other managers are sitting waiting.
It really bugs me as to why everyone accepts losing 7-2 in a play off final and is happy to continue with a manager who will continue to play junior football.
EFFC cannot afford to miss out next time and WG knows that.

I'd be happy to see Baikie go.

The tactics and inability to change anything today were shocking.

We've played too defensive so many times this season and the players seem to struggle to get out of that style when they then need to.

This week has been a major disappointment and getting into the playoffs with the money that has been available is nowhere near good enough.

We've not only been outplayed, we've been torn apart over two games by a team of (no offence) amateurs.

There needs to be changes for next season and these need to be decided upon soon but once the dust has settled for a few days.

Pains me to say it,but I couldn`t have put it better myself.

Have not seen all the games this season but of those I have seen management of resources has been very very poor - we have had eleven players on the park but not playing as a team or to there strengths - that is down to poor management - Baikie is to negative and I doubt he is up to the job - with the players we have had at the club promotion should have been a shoe in.

Got to agree. We must get promotion next season and there can be no more excuses. The club is on an upward spiral but we must have a manager who can meet the board's and the fans expectations.

So gutted about the way things have went in the past two games especially today. Personally i think Baikie got it all wrong tactically both on wedensday and today. What made today worse was the lack of drive and belief from the team. I expected us to come out all guns blazing, obviously the early goal was a Massive blow but we never looked once like really threatning. With the money that has been spent we should be in Div2, Baikie has to take most of the blame as tactics were non existant.

So gutted that next season will be another one spent in the basement of Scottish football, we are a far bigger club than that. Lets hope this time next season we are in Div 2.

I defended DB when people were calling for his job and we were still chasing a play off place. I thought it wasn't the right time, but once the season had finished, then the fans could ask questions.

The season has now finished, and it's time to take stock. It has been a massive improvement, but then with all the money spent, it could hardly fail to be. The style of play I saw before I left, wasn't pretty to the eye, and I felt that the tactics were too negative. From what people have been telling me, it hasn't improved. The last game I saw at Berwick away was no better than under Moffat. A change in manager is now probably needed, sooner than later, so that he can rebuild for next season.

The question is who would want it?

The question is who wouldn`t want it?

Who's available at the moment?

you need to get wullie gray to drop this fixation with bettering the Rovers. It seems to be eating him up. If he is truly building a team, then he should look to QP and start off with talented youngsters.

Guys like Tweed and Fotheringham are quick fix solutions.

I can't believe how guilty fellow Raith fans are indirectly making me feel for wanting Queens to win?

Would F*fe fans be rooting for Raith if it was the other way round AND would the Raith fans that post on here be wanting to see The P*rs do well too?

"you need to get wullie gray to drop this fixation with bettering the Rovers. It seems to be eating him up. If he is truly building a team, then he should look to QP and start off with talented youngsters."

That is a very fair point and after todays and Wednesdays games I would be happy to sign at least a couple of QP Players.

"then he should look to QP and start off with talented youngsters."

Is this option not available to us? Is there nothing in the youth team? What about Fortune, Linton and Martin?

I think the lack ov youth in our team is frightning.When i started watching our team it was exciting to see young,HOMEGROWN players breaking into the team.Methavin,Steve Kirk,Johnny Lumsden,Willie Herd,Durie,Davie Kirkwood,Paul Hunter,Ingles,Ally Mitch,Mcmanas,un young Fergie.These are just a few over the years.Fair enough, they were all transfered,some maybe quiker than they should ov,but hell,the memeries ov these players will live on till the day i die.Willie needs to put money aside to try un get youth setup going.I know the under 19s are doing really well this year,but its getting guys in between 12/16.Maybe Davie Marsh could inlighten me if there is this sort ov setup at our club.Last i heard ,there was insuficant funds to do it.Finally all the best to our under 19s in there final tomorrow.If Baikie IS NOT AT THIS GAME,he should be sacked on the spot.

it does look like he has a rovers obsession at the mo, but whatever the reason, I'm glad he is putting money into the club. The way forward is through community links and scouting in your own back yard, but that seems to have died a death all over Scotland (with a few exceptions outside the premier league).

I'm as die hard as the rest, but the way forward for the club might be to be a feeder club for one of the big teams (say hibs or Dundee utd), and play games on a Sunday. We get players on loan anyway, why not make it official and have proper links. Might not even be a Scottish team, could be one from the north of England. They have the finances to scout, and we have the opportunity to give them 1st team experience in the league.

A wee bit off topic, but it is a disgrace the state of playing facilities in Scotland. The last time I played, admittidly, years ago, was at Savoy, and it was covered in dog shit and had broken glass on the pitch.
I have started playing here for the equivalent of a supporters/pub team. We train on a floodlit pitch thats like a bowling green, surrounded by another 3 pitches of equal quality. People take an interest in sport here, and it's no coincidence that they do well at all sports. If there's no facilities, how the hell are we supposed to train youngsters?

Baikie out, Dick Campbell in. Guaranteed.

You heard it here first.

Jonathan and a few others have a point in that the new signings are a continuation of a policy to win promotion through experience. There is no reason to think that will not work as I do not see another QP in Div. 3 next season. Then however we are in Div 2 with an ageing team and struggling to survive.
At this point I am not saying DB is right or wrong for EF but to suddenly develop a youth policy with a new manager is certainly not a guarantee of promotion. How long will it take before fans are calling for his head.
My opinion is that DB can probably take us up next season by building a strong,dependable team with little flair. My preference would be a manager who would develop youngsters and play good football. If
season on season improvement was obvious I would wait
two seasons for promotion.
Questions are :-
Who is that manager ?
Will the EF board and fans wait for more than one season for success ?

The return of the mole! You haven't been seen in ages, I thought the vermin control had got you!

Fans demand instant success and think they have the God given right to walk the league every year.

If the club spent money on providing a proper training facility, jointly run with the council (I bet there's one in Levenmouth PDQ, the Labour party don't want to lose the next election), I would be willing to wait even 5 years for promotion. This would be provisional of seeing youngsters regularly blooded and included in the 1st team.

But what club would say that they were investing in facilities, and not bothered for a couple of years about promotion?

Get a grip! Five years? The club is ready to go to the next level right now, and this past season is wasted opportunity. If we spend five more years in the Third Division, the current interested parties will be gone. We will be back to being a skint club followed by a handful of hardcore fans.

ok 5 yrs is a maybe a wee bit too long, but I would rather see concrete things like an acadamy with proper facilities put in place or a second stand rather than money spent on paying over inflated salaries for quick fix solutions.

"Baikie out, Dick Campbell in. Guaranteed. You heard it here first."

Yeah, except that we've been hearing it for months.

has baikie been offered another job or is he getting sacked.
is dick campbell the answer-partick fans hated his style of football.

Bailkie wont be going any where. fact

Has he been tied to a chair like?

A bit like East Fife under his command

if theres any truth in the rumour then it has to happen very soon as the frees havent been announced yet,surely whoever is boss will make that decision.

meeting at effc today and frees were agreed with board

I spoke to Willie Gray last night,there will be no change of manager,we are going straight for the league next season and he is backing Dave Baikie to win us the league,and davie and mel are confident that we will do it next season.

WG is very friendly with Dick n Ian so will it be his choice of new manager or will it be the chief ex who gets his turn this time watch this space Alan Mcgonigal n Brian Fairley.

Dick Campbell would be successful with the financial backing which Baikie has had. If he wasn't, the football couldn't be uglier than the manager and Campbell has the character and profile that would get the club more prominent publicity.
Over the two play off games Queens park were better in every department and looked a really good side. Stark is tactically more astute than Baikie and his players (with he exception of Agostini and Ronald) are on the way up.
How many of the East Fife players who featured on Saturday are likely to go on to teams beyond division 2?
(Maybe Jonathon Smart).

Tamsun,heres names of players at the club who can or could go onto teams further than div2.
Craig O`Reilly
Lloyd Young
Stephen Fortune
Jonny Smart
Greig McDonald

Can see them all being able to play at higher level than div2.

who needs the youth to inexperienced get experience on our team

Happy Days av been sayin for months he was a crap tactition, manager, motivator and inspiration to the players.

BAIKIE IS STAYING