Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Rovers Viewpoint

I came along to the game today really hoping to see East Fife get the result they needed for promotion. With many friends at New Bayview, it was good renewing old acquaintances before the game. My own feeling was if Fife could get an early goal then the whole tie would open up.

What a disappointment though (for the second week in a row I may add). It was like watching Rovers a year ago with constant high balls being humped up the park, only to come right back in at the defence again. I thought Jonathan Smart was immense for you today and he seemed to be the only one in a black and gold jersey who knew the importance of the occasion. Only when Smart drove forward did you look like creating anything.

Queen's Park on the other hand were a joy to watch. 8 out of 10 touches in your half were on the deck. That's where the game was won. Their passing and movement off the ball was excellent while East Fife could only hump the ball up the park in the air. The Spiders, if they continue to play that style of football next season, will give many teams a going over in the first quarter of the new season anyway.

What concerned me today though was Baikie's apparent inability to change the tactics when everyone could see the high ball wasn't working, and his appalling use of substitutes. I also can't fathom out why he recalled John Martin yet wouldn't play him.

All in all a disappointing day as I hoped we could renew what was THE traditional Fife derby next season. I feel for Willie Gray who was clearly gutted after the game. Chatting to him after the match he said "We could have been in a great league next season with Raith, Airdrie, Cowdenbeath..but now we have to go to Stranraer and Elgin"

Good to see old friends like Crabbo, Jason Dair, Jabba, John Martin and Ryan Blackadder again. They're equally as gutted.

Despite what you think, Kevin Fotheringham will be a great player for you next year. You could have done with him today...a guy with a winning mentality who hates getting beat.

Still, hopefully the experience of today will live long in the minds of the players still at Bayview next year. Willie Gray told me "We're bullding a side here" and seeing the signings you've made I would think that only the championship will suffice next season, and I hope that's the case. As someone said in another topic, East Fife are too big for Division Three. I'd agree with that...Good luck for next season.

Ally

Re: A Rovers Viewpoint

That is a spot-on post Ally, thank you. I agree with every word you have said, and you have picked out all the pertinent points from today. You have called it as it is. Good for you for coming to the match today.

Thank you for that, a proper intelligent mature post from a Raith supporter. Like most people on here, I consider the Raith game to be our proper derby, and it would have been fantastic to have had one for next season but not to be.
I hope you have a reasonable season next year (can't bring myself to wish you success lol!).

Please tell all the rest of the wraith muppets to bugger off after they have had their gloat!

What a superb post from someone who is obviously a true supporter of the game we all love!
I, too, remember fondly some great derbies between East Fife and Raith from thirty-odd years ago; derbies in the days when we had great rivalry - but no animosity.
How I would love those days to return.
I'm off to raise a glass now to Fife's two great football teams, the two components of the REAL Fife derby. Pity we won't meet next season!
All the very best, Ally

Am I still yer fave Raith fan on here, or is it Ally?

I feel bad now. I haven't really gloated. We all know how you feel as we got put out too.

I saw a fair few Raith fans at the game today.

Great post Ally.I think we all agree with the comments u made.

Yip! Definitely well said Ally.
I'm a youth worker in Kirkcaldy and work with a fair few young lino lickers. There was a good few of them at the game today, which is great to see - just a pity we were played off the park!

Not looking forward to going into work this week, but cheers for coming doon lads. Special thanks to Danny Glass!

Shuggy.

See the responce you get, when you write an articulate, mature and well thought out post?

dito, makes a change from the wittering of RR1. Cheers

I just do not know how to put in writing how i feel but Ally has done it.
I right, GIRUY. After the loss we had last week no one took time to be Part of the united nations peace force like Ally.
In other words enjoy division three(again)

I have a lot of time for Ally Gourlay particularly in his role with the ex players association but have to take issue with him wishing you all the best for next season. That coupled with Jim Cs views about "Fife's" two great football teams about made me throw up. There is only ONE great team in Fife and thats the Rovers

Lets get it straight - you lot dislike RRFC as intensely as we dislike EFFC. Correct me if I am wrong but do you not cheer if the tannoy announces Raith are getting beat at half time. I certainly do when you lot are behind.

Did Sheffield Wednesday fans want Sheffield United to get beat yesterday? Of course they did.

Do Liverpool fans want Man Unt to win the FA Cup. Of course they don't.

Don't get me wrong I have many close friends who are East Fife fans. Strangely enough many more than I have who are Rovers fans. It comes with the territory of staying in this neck of the woods for nearly 25 years. I even have to suffer the indignity of my daughter going out with an East Fife fanatic.

Those things said I still look forward to coming home on a Saturday and hearing that you lot have lost.

Lets keep up the rivalry and forget this crap about us being busom buddies.

Rovers till I die.

swoon... my hero

Yep,now 100% confirmed that Jon is a total erse bandit!

No, the poison directed at all things 'wraith' here and not 'Raith' as I described your team in the responce to AG, is actually directed at a couple of fannies that regularly post on this site as they have no pals. I really do not care about RR if I'm honest, unless we are playing them.