Start a New Topic 
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
The 2016 Belk Bowl: Virginia Tech vs Arkansas
As a Virginia Tech fan, I was gratified to see a final score of 35-24. What was surprising was the half time score: Arkansas 24, Virginia Tech 0. In the last 10 years of NCAA BCS football, teams leading by 24 or more points at halftime won 902 times and lost on...
Views: 371   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 02, 2017
by John Ellis
Love This On-line Definition of the Word "Complicity"
Complicity is involvement in a wrongful act — like when you drove your newly-turned-vegetarian friend to a fast food joint so that she could scarf down a hamburger.
Views: 354   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 02, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Happy New Year
May all of you have a Happy and Healthy New Year !
Views: 320   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 31, 2016
by Jim Matthias
Shipmate Passing
It is with great sadness that OTA1(RET) John Wizner has passed. No further details att.
Views: 524   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 26, 2016
by Naida Stevens
Navy reverses decision on disestabllishment of ratings.
Hooyah! Great Christmas present for Navy sailors!
Views: 578   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 23, 2016
by John Vogt
Navy reverses decision on disestabllishment of ratings.
Hooyah! Great Christmas present for Navy sailors! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=717726565042406&id=501926686622396
Views: 461   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 20, 2016
by Jim Donovan
Still More from the BBC on the China Incident
See Link COMMENT: Even if the seized object was the "wet-end" of a towed array - which is very unlikely based on currently available info - getting just the wet-end would not significantly advance anyone's understanding of total system capabilities. You have to...
Views: 397   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2016
by Bruce Rule
More on Chinese Action: Not a Ship Seizure
A Chinese Navy warship has seized an underwater drone deployed by an American oceanographic vessel in international waters in the South China Sea, triggering a formal demarche from the United States and a demand for its return, a U.S. defense official told Reuters on...
Views: 339   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 16, 2016
by Randy Scott
Human Muscular Response Time as a Function of Height
The writer used the response times to the starting gun of the finalists in the 2016 Olympic 100m sprint event to confirm the THRESHER pressure-hull collapsed in less than the combined retinal plus cognitive integration times of those aboard; hence, they were not awar...
Views: 331   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
S China Sea
Did the Chinese just snag a SURTASS Array?
Views: 326   Replies: 0
by Vance Schmaus
Views: 326   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Views: 375   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 15, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Passing of former SOG2 Ransal Hebert (Frenchie)
Just heard from his ex-wife that SOG2 Ransal Hebert, better known as Frenchie, passed away sometime this past year. I remember him well from Bermuda 62-65 and he was always full of energy and lots of fun. Do not think he retired from the Navy but do know he went hom...
Views: 357   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 13, 2016
by Doug Kuehl
Army-Navy Game
With all the young people in this country who need safe places, lower or burn our flag and can't cope with what they don't want, it warms my heart to see all those fine Cadets and Midshipmen. Just seeing them on the field and in the stands is inspiring. Go Navy and G...
Views: 351   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 12, 2016
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
The Navy has always had a bad attitude towards enlisted ratings
When I enlisted in the Navy as an electronics field recruit I was given in boot camp a song and dance about oceanography being an exciting new field. They could not tell me what it was but they really needed help and it would be a quick way to promotion. What they di...
Views: 497   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 11, 2016
by Jim Trimmer
John Glenn's Passing
John Glenn just passed away. I remember his space trip on Friendship 7 in 1962, when I was stationed on Turks. Some of the photos are posted in the IUSS Turks Photo Library. He landed near Turks and spent most of time at the Air Force Base on the south end of the isl...
Views: 336   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 09, 2016
by Jack Holdzkom
TIME Magazine Blew It
The Man of the Year should have been the Chicago Cubs
Views: 386   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 07, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Veterans supporting DAPL and ask for forgiveness to Lakota tribal elders
Salute to the thousands of veterans that chose to stand with and support the Lakota Water Protectors in frigid South Dakota in their protest against the Dakota Access PipeLine. http://www.salon.com/2016/12/05/we-beg-for-your-forgiveness-veterans-join-native-elders...
Views: 188   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 06, 2016
by Sam Blackowl
2016 Edition of The Cable newsletter is published
The 2016 edition of the IUSSCAA Cable Newsletter is published. See below for a list of articles and stories. Members of the IUSS CAESAR Alumni Association should receive an email with links to the newsletter and Member Direcory in PDF format in the next 24 hours....
Views: 608   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 05, 2016
by John Ellis
Still Tilting at Windmills; A Recent AP Article Loaded With Misinformation on THRESHER (See Link)
Michael Melia (Associated Press Reporter): Regrettably, your recent article about a burial-at-sea at the site of the loss of the USS THRESHER, contains serious errors. (http://www.windstream.net/news/read/category/News/article/the_associated_press-navy_to_scatte...
Views: 356   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 01, 2016
by Bruce Rule
TITANIC Specs
See link for photo of screws: 4-bladed centerline, threes outboard. Following from link: .As most us know, the triple-screw steamer Titanic, and her sister ship Olympic, were propelled by a combined machinery arrangement consisting of two reciprocating engines...
Views: 367   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2016
by Bruce Rule
The Battle to Preserve the Midway Islands
First we had Adak - now we have Midway. A bit lengthy but this does a good job of showing what has occurred on Midway Island subsequent to the USFWS taking over administratration of the island. http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/the-battle-to-preserve-th...
Views: 436   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 30, 2016
by greg dyer
NAVFAC KEFLAVIK CLOTH EMBROIDED PATCH
I have a Kef patch in the original package and was part of the original order back in 1966. It was designed by Chief Charlie Hibbetts.. It is available free of charge it anyone wants it. just let me know. EKD
Views: 465   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 25, 2016
by Henry "Gil" Gi...
Thanksgiving
Deb and I would like to extend our thoughts and Blessings for a wonderful Thanksgiving to all shipmates and those putting themselves in harms way to protect our freedoms. Open your homes and hearts to those that are not able to be with family. God bless all and Ameri...
Views: 373   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 24, 2016
by George Widenor
Abandoned Alaska: Once a thriving naval base, now an Adak ghost town
I found this video on John Kimmel's FB page. I've never been to Adak but thought some of you might find this of interest. Rick
Views: 599   Replies: 5
by Jim Donovan
1,299,924 and counting!
We are about to reach another milestone! Who will be the 1,300,000th person to log onto this site? Any prize for the lucky person? Looks like we are logging in 100,000 about every 3 or 4 years based on past milestones: 1,200,000 on 11/5/12 1,100,000 on 12/24/09
Views: 478   Replies: 1
by Michael Hein
We All Need a Little Humor
See link, especially the first responding comment.
Views: 404   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 19, 2016
by Bruce Rule
History of Loss of the USS PERCH (SS-176) Whose Wreck May Also Have Been Salvaged from the Java Sea
The link provides conflicting testimony of the details of the loss of the USS PERCH, confirmation that such discrepancies may exist even when there are survivors. No wonder there were - and still are - similar "issues" with THRESHER and SCORPION when the only reli...
Views: 404   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 17, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Views: 370   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 16, 2016
by Bruce Rule
White House response to the petition on restoring traditional Navy rating specialty titles
Quote: Thank you for adding your name to this We the People petition and for your concern regarding the men and women who serve in the United States Navy. The Navy's recent announcement about Navy Occupational Specialties has garnered attention from many veterans...
Views: 405   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 16, 2016
by Nick Stanfield
Photos of NOB Bermuda Uploaded
I finally had the equipment and bandwidth to upload some photos of NOB Bermuda. There are comparisons between 1971 and 2012 and some from 1971-72. Many of my 124 photos taken of NOB in 2012 are not uploaded. If anyone wants to see all or the greater portion of my pho...
Views: 392   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 14, 2016
by Luke Lester
tricare dental
hey guys, anyone have any experience with this Tricare dental ins by delta? My wife penee and I are wondering if its worth it to get the insurance ...its not cheep and has a lot of limitations...seems like if you just pay out of pocket for cleanings and hope for the...
Views: 394   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 12, 2016
by jack spencer
Veteran's Day
A salute to our fellow Veterans around the world. Have a Safe and well deserved Holiday while remembering those that can't. J & P
Views: 392   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 11, 2016
by Chuck
Looking for shipmates NAVFAC Argentia and NAVFAC Barbers Point early to mid 70s
I just discovered this website and note quite a few familiar names, some still with us and some in memoriam. Had some great times with some great people at Argentia and Barbers Point.
Views: 487   Replies: 12
Last Post: Nov 11, 2016
by Chuck
Winter May Not Be Arriving Elsewhere But It Has on Mt Washington, NH: Altitude 6288 feet
After a very mild start to the month of October, winter has finally arrived on the summit. On the 22nd, snow began flying atop the Rockpile and we saw light to moderate snow for the next four days. In total, we measured up to 8 inches of new accumulation and also hit...
Views: 343   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 09, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Interesting article
http://maritime-executive.com/article/navy-invests-in-subsea-threat-detection-array Came across this during some OSINT research at work. Maybe this is old news for the community; don't get on the site much. Hope everyone is doing well.
Views: 480   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 05, 2016
by Rick Greatting
help
seeking the current(Nov. 2016) email of Ron Scheppman former SOO2, and former member this org.
Views: 347   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 05, 2016
by Jim Trimmer
Time, the Cubs and My Last Ho-Hum Baseball Stat Posting
I have often found it useful to gain a temporal perspective for events long in the past by mirror-imaging time. Bill Tilley reported the first Soviet nuc detection in July 1962 as target 27103. That was 54 years ago. If you mirror image that period – go back in...
Views: 329   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 03, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Inferno at Sea, Loss of Soviet MIKE Class SSN on 7 April, 1989
For info. Something I recently posted on the OTs and OTAa/OTMs page on Facebook. The link above also provides additional detailed, first-hand reports from inside the submarine as the disaster was unfolding. All old news but because of the response to it on Facebook...
Views: 380   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 03, 2016
by Jim Donovan
More Boring Baseball Stats: Greatest Year Pitching Ever: Only One More ZZZZ to Follow
Pud Galvin’s 1878 season with the Buffalo Bisons of the International (minor) League was historic; he dominated the league, winning an astounding 72 games, losing 25 and pitched at least 895 innings. He threw 17 shutouts, and went 10-5 against National League t...
Views: 342   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 01, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Reagarding the Photo Library and Phot Uploads
Hello, It has come to my attention that several months ago Bravenet (our photo library and messageboard host) changed the photo upload routine. In the past, there was a way for an uploader to label the pictures with a description and they could identify themsel...
Views: 618   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 01, 2016
by Webmaster
Centerville Beach NAVFAC current situation
Hello All, I'm out visiting family in Humboldt County this week. I took a drive out to Centerville Beach and took some photos and videos. I have uploaded the photos to the webpage. Here are some links to the videos Drive around the old base - https://youtu.be/S...
Views: 393   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 31, 2016
by Todd Dupree
If You're Interested in Real Old Time Baseball, This Posting is for You, Otherwise ZZZZZZZ
19th century pitching is very much a moving target. It started as more or less like slow-pitch softball, but by the late 1850s some pitchers were "swift" pitching. Creighton is the best known, but he wasn't the first: he was the first to really get the hang of it. Th...
Views: 314   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Russia Has a Dead Nuclear Submarine (Armed With Nuclear Weapons) Sitting at the Bottom of the Ocean
I remember the loss of the Soviet Mike Class SSN in 1989. Stationed at NAVFAC Brawdy at the time. In the mid-1980s, the Soviet Union constructed a super submarine unlike any other. Fast and capable of astounding depths for a combat submersible, the submarine Ko...
Views: 444   Replies: 1
by Bruce Rule
No more ratings...
What has happened to common sense?
Views: 698   Replies: 19
Last Post: Oct 28, 2016
by Lorren Jackson
Inside the installation of new trans-Atlantic undersea cable
While not directly related to what we did/do, it is undersea orientated. This is where almost all of the bandwidth for internet, streaming video, online shopping and banking, etc come from. It is amazing in and of itself but, if you ask me, a colossal Archilles Hee...
Views: 431   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 15, 2016
by Rick Greatting
U.S. Navy Birthday
To all former shipmates and those serving today: Today is the U.S. Navy's 241st birthday. The linked website provides some interesting facts about our Navy's beginnings, as well as some recent history and current trends, including the on-going push to deep six all...
Views: 402   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 14, 2016
by Gail Smith
Open Source Discussion of the VIRGINIA Class SSN Test Depth: 1600-Feet
(Quote) The wall-thickness and diameter of Virginia’s cold-rolled, HY-120 steel inner pressure hull, with scrupulously designed hull-penetrations and conscientious seam-welds, allows submarine design engineers to impose a safe-diving test-depth of 1600 feet, ac...
Views: 378   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 11, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Hurricanes and Typhoons
With Hurricane Matthew in the Caribbean, just wondering how many OTs road out a hurricane or typhoon while standing watch in the TE building. Our watch section on Guam (October 1971), got caught on a day watch just before the last condition was set before anyone w...
Views: 426   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 07, 2016
by Nick Stanfield
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Visits: