Start a New Topic 
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Medical Incompetence is Alive and Well
Received the following from George Miller: A couple of days back I had my biennial visit with my ophthalmologist. The following is a near verbatim exchange between the nurse/technician and me as she was going over my records: Nurse - So how are you doing with y...
Views: 445   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 05, 2016
by Scott Clausen
The Most Complex But Also the Most Potentially Important Posting to Date
Subj: Distinguishing Between Hydroacoustic Detections of Explosions and Implosions, a Critical Analytical Capability BACKGROUND If underwater explosions or implosions do not vent to the surface, they produce cycles of expansion and compression of the area of re...
Views: 1001   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 04, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Characteristics/Acoustic Detectability of the Russian VA-111 Shkval Rocket-Powered Torpedo
Open sources indicate the Russian VA-111 Shkval rocket-powered torpedo - which uses bubble-screen technology to achieve speeds of 200 knots (100m/s) - is 8.2m long, has a diameter of 533mm, weighs 2,700kg and is capable of carrying a 210kg (460 lb) warhead. The to...
Views: 888   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 30, 2016
by Bruce Rule
What the 1970s-Era Soviet MIG-25 Aircraft May Tell Us About the Russian BOREY and YASEN Class Subs
If you take the time to read the linked site (http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160905-the-pilot-who-stole-a-secret-soviet-fighter-jet), you will discover that Western assessments of the capabilities of the MIG-25 (FOXBAT) aircraft when it was introduced to the Sovie...
Views: 375   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 25, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Views: 487   Replies: 10
Last Post: Sep 22, 2016
by Gail
ACTION: Annual Call for Cable Newsletter Articles - Due 15 Oct 2016
Greetings, IUSS shipmates. Football season has begun so that means it's time to publish the annual edition of "The Cable", the official newsletter of the IUSS CAESAR Alumni Association. Our last issue (a Great One!) was published in November of 2015. As has been o...
Views: 414   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 14, 2016
by Director, IUSSCA...
All sorts of Navy stuff you (probably) never thought about before.
If you're idling about, with nothing to do, check out: http://www.maritime.org/doc/index.htm The link has a myriad of manuals on subjects such as: "Booklet of General Plans (ships' drawings)" has many ship plans (I lost count at about 100). From AC (USS O...
Views: 458   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 12, 2016
by Lorren Jackson
Vietnam Veteran Lapel Pin
Check out the link to receive a pin for Vets who served at the time, but not in, Vietnam.
Views: 619   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 10, 2016
by Rick Greatting
Another Reason Cell Phones Are Dangerous
From the BBC World Ness: If you are working in an enclosure full of crocodiles, don't turn your back on them to answer your mobile phone. Sadly that is what one member of staff did in May at Collins Mueke's crocodile farm in eastern Kenya. "He was talking on...
Views: 420   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 06, 2016
by Greg Dyer
Curiosities of Navy Terminology
While writing an article for THE SUBMARINE REVIEW, I ran across the following curiosities of Navy terminology: Aboard vs. on board - These two terms mean nearly the same thing and in some uses are interchangeable. "Aboard" is the preferred usage. Use "on board" as...
Views: 430   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 02, 2016
by Lorren Jackson
A Really Hilarious Comment About a Drug-Using Athlete
While researching the subject of Olympic sprinter reaction times for use in my recent Pressure-Hull Collapse posting, I ran across the following comment with reference to the disqualification of Ben Johnson, the Canadian sprinter who - for 24 hours - appeared to have...
Views: 380   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 29, 2016
by John Walther
Submarine Pressure Hull Collapse Durations Versus Human Reaction Time
As previously discussed, assuming a symmetry of the initial compression and expansion phases of the collapse of a submarine pressure hulls at great depth, values – as measured by the writer from acoustic data – were 0.15 seconds for THRESHER and 0.11 sec...
Views: 371   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 24, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Vencore job opportunity in Suitland, MD for an Acoustic Intelligence Analyst
Hi Everyone, My name is Kristen Lentz a recruiter with Vencore. We currently have a possible need (based on contract award) for an Acoustic Intelligence Analyst position in Suitland, Maryland, that I think you would be very interested in. Please see Position Descr...
Views: 315   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 11, 2016
by Kristen Lentz
Talk About A Really “Blown-Out” Diesel Engine!
As discussed in previous postings, the first six-cylinder, four stroke-cycle 30/38 diesel engine was produced by the Kolomna factory in 1935, 81 years ago. The bore was 300 mm (11.8 inches); the stroke was 380 mm (15.0 inches). That engine – designated the 38K6...
Views: 900   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 11, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Follow up to previous post about hearing loss
A while back I asked for any information about tinnitus and hearing problems among you all. Numerous folks responded and John Ellis talked about something called the RACHAP program. That program provides hearing devices for veterans at government cost, whether you qu...
Views: 468   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 05, 2016
by jack spencer
?US should use Iceland as base to counter Russian sub threat? - Iceland Monitor
Attached is a link to an article posted by the Mogunbladid News Paper with the English translation in the Iceland Monitor about new activity by the US in Iceland. I hope that the link I posted works. Gil
Views: 281   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 03, 2016
by Henry "Gil" Gi...
"Ancient" Photos of Turks - Pre-NAVFAC
See Link or go to http://www.timespub.tc/2016/07/ill-send-you-a-postcard/
Views: 500   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 29, 2016
by Jack Holdzkom
Argentia History
A new item has been added to the HISTORY page of this website, under year 1999, that will interest alums of NAVFAC Argentia: A video of the demolition of what was originally the NAVSTA BOQ and eventually became an all-purpose building, housing bachelor quarters, chow...
Views: 490   Replies: 0
by Jack Holdzkom
The Mirage Of A Transparent Ocean
Finally, someone that makes some sense in the linked article. I don't think "swarming mini AUVs, Autonomous Hunter Killer surface ships, masses of deployed underwater sensors communicating by via acoustic comms, automated detection and classification, and various...
Views: 410   Replies: 0
by Rick Greatting
NAVFAC Bermuda
Greetings from Bermuda, After years of speculation about a Resort Hotel being built on Morgan's Point (former NOB/Naval Annex) the die is cast and progress on the project is ongoing. Morgan's Point is cleared of almost all the buildings and most of the vegetation....
Views: 521   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 26, 2016
by Dennis Conrad
Study links shift work with increased risk of heart disease
"In a worrying find for shift workers, a new study recently suggested that those who are chronically sleep-deprived by their work schedule may be at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease." I wonder what years of 2-2-80s and other wonderful watchbills did to...
Views: 500   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jul 25, 2016
by Dennis Conrad
spys
Is any one familiar with the Jerry Whitworth investigation?
Views: 446   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2016
by Paul Banks
Pity the Poor YANKEE
Now many years ago, a YANKEE was "spooked" while on patrol. The YANKEE fired a noise-maker and took off at flank speed. The noise-maker was identified only post-event when a recording was analyzed. In real-time, the noise-maker was not recognized because th...
Views: 429   Replies: 1
by Randy Brown
Argentia anniversary
While this may not be in accordance with recent postings, I had the honor to attend a flag raising ceremony in the town of Placentia on Friday commemorating the 75th anniversary of the commissioning of the Argentia Naval Station. There was 10 or 11 ex Arg servicemen...
Views: 435   Replies: 1
by John Ellis
Another Flank Speed Response
Years before the just posted "Pity the Poor YANKEE" event, a HOTEL was spooked in the North Atlantic and ran-off at flank speed for 15 hours. The smell of ozone at Antigua and Barbados must have been overpowering. Ah, those were the days!
Views: 364   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2016
by Bruce Rule
What Can Happen When High-Pressure Steam is Introduced to a Cold Turbine
Russ: please archive PREFACE This posting is relevant to the writer's assessment that BOREY and YASEN Class Russian nuclear submarines cannot completely secure (stop) rotation of their GTZA OK-9VM geared-turbine propulsion power train when propelling on the PG-...
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 15, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Tired of the Heat? - Move to Stanley, Idaho, Apparently a Half-Horse Town
Stanley, Idaho is located in a depression surrounded by the Sawtooth Mountains with peaks above 10,000 feet. At night, cold air from the mountains drains into the depression with Stanley at or near the low point with an elevation of 6250 feet. On average, there ar...
Views: 345   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 15, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Potential Acoustic Vulnerability of BOREY and YASEN Class Russian Nuclear Submarines
Russ: please archive. As previously posted this site, both BOREY and YASEN Class Russian nuclear submarines use a hybrid propulsion system: the GTZA OK-9VM geared turbine system for speeds above circa eight knots and the 5,550 hp PG-141M dc motor for lower speeds...
Views: 834   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 14, 2016
by Bruce Rule
FYI: Supercavitation
In 2005, DARPA announced the 'Underwater Express program', a research and evaluation bid to establish the potential of supercavitation. The program's ultimate goal is a new class of underwater craft for littoral missions that can transport small groups of Navy person...
Views: 365   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 09, 2016
by Bruce Rule
New subject
I recall back in 1982-83 I was on a very unusual trip for COSL N2 R&T Division. I saw something I never thought I would see in the US, that was fully armed officers with fingers running along their fully loaded Assault weapons while guarding egress through a fence g...
Views: 524   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 05, 2016
by Irv DeMatties
Wales Football!!!
Wales vs Belgium 3-1 Wales!!!! Belgium is out, and Wales is going to the semis!!!! Way to go guys!
Views: 429   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 01, 2016
by Greg Dyer
Icelandic Soccer team!
Totally off subject, But in case you don't follow FA football, Iceland just knocked the English team out of the FA cup, by beating them 2 to 1. Iceland will be playing Belgium in the next stage! Before the game, the English broadcasters were saying that England sho...
Views: 449   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 30, 2016
by John Walther
Penn State Working on Supercavitating Submarine (Link Problem Corrected)
Thanks to Jeff Dodge for the article below which describes on-going efforts at Penn State involving development of a bubble-screen system that would permit full-scale submarines to achieve extremely high speeds. The article discusses Soviet development of a superc...
Views: 377   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 30, 2016
by Bruce Rule
A Strange Coincidence or is China Playing the North Korean Card?
As the only country that has significant influence on North Korea (NK), is it a coincidence that the latest NK missile firings closely follow an escalation in US-China antagonism over China's South China Sea territorial issues (building island bases)? In others wo...
Views: 422   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 22, 2016
by Bruce Rule
An Intriguing Conjecture
As already discussed in detail by postings archived on this (IUSSCAA) site under the writer's commentaries and by an article on pages 98-105 of the SPRING 2012 issue of THE SUBMARINE REVIEW, the GOLF-II Class Soviet SSB K-129 was lost on 11 March 1968 when a hydrogen...
Views: 430   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 17, 2016
by Bruce Rule
TSA Not accepting New Retired ID's as Valid for Boarding Domestic Flights (RANT!)
Start Rant/ This may not be new news to some but due to changes that the DOD has made to the new Retired ID's, they are no longer accepted by the TSA as valid for boarding domestic flights. It seems that when DOD removed the SSN from the front of the cards and r...
Views: 535   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 09, 2016
by Gail Smith
IUSSCAA Membership
Hi Folks, A few weeks ago this site was recommended to me by a fellow shipmate to help me find someone I was looking for. I filed the application to join and have enjoyed looking thru the site. Today I received the IUSSCAA patch and lapel pin from Captain Dovova...
Views: 457   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 07, 2016
by Rick Matthews
Tom Moore Obituary: Actual Birth/Death Dates: 19 Apr 1946 - 29 March 2009
JAMES MOORE OBITUARY James Thomas "Gator" Moore. James Thomas "Gator" Moore, III, 62, of Woodbridge, passed away Monday, March 29, 2009. He was a retired Intel Analyst with the Office of Naval Intelligence. Mr. Moore was born April, 29, 1946 in Panama City, FL ,...
Views: 445   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 07, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Response to Responses to the Posting of the SECRET CNO Memo from 1958
An individual in whom I have the utmost professional confidence wrote the following: “I was present at Hatteras during the 1958 time you mentioned in your msg on IUSSCAA web site.   There were a number of targets classified as xnas based on some photo...
Views: 432   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 05, 2016
by Bruce Rule
SECRET CNO Memo to Flag Officers. Subj: SOSUS Detections 21-26 Feb 1958
See link or go to http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb275/03.PDF COMMENTS: It is highly unlikely any of the contacts discussed in the CNO memo were valid. In 1958, the only submarines the Soviets had that could have deployed to WESTLANT were ZULUs and the...
Views: 659   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 05, 2016
by Jim Donovan
Remembering Tom (the Gator) Moore (1945-2012)
Very belatedly, I have been informed that Tom Moore - affectionally known as the Gator because of his fanatical following of University of Florida football - died in 2012. As a contrator, he was at Kef for 18 months in the 1970s (?) and insured ONI's receipt of cr...
Views: 443   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 04, 2016
by Chuck Cable
Cannibalized Parts
Interesting article in the 01 June Military.com. Subject is Cannibalized Parts used to support current ops. Makes you a little sick in the stomach and yearn for the Reagan days.
Views: 403   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 02, 2016
by Rick Bolin
Tom Moore and Ron Smith Loaded the Analysis Gun That Was Fired at NSA
What I considered to have been Tom Moore's most important contribution during all his years with ONI was an exquisitely detailed analysis of a multi-week event which, at Ron Smith's suggestion, Tom time-lined on an 10-foot long scrolled display that I took to NSA hea...
Views: 401   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 02, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Off Topic: The Value of Being Brutally Direct with Your Doctors
As we age, many of us acquire a coterie of doctors, each of whom may work in isolation with few ever being aware of conditions for which their patients are being treated beyond their own speciality. Today, my opthamologist informed me that although the “cock...
Views: 442   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 01, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Memorial Day
A Salute to all of our Veteran Friends and especially to those that served and made the ultimate sacrifice. A Happy and safe Memorial day wish for you all. John and Pat
Views: 418   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 30, 2016
by Darel Martin
China's 'Undersea Great Wall'
I found this to be an interesting read. http://nationalinterest.org/feature/chinas-undersea-great-wall-16222 VR, Rick
Views: 365   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2016
by Rick Greatting
Mike Duggan Passing
Mike Duggan passed away today 16 May 2016
Views: 635   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 25, 2016
by Mark Otto
Two Year Old News Still Amusing
Iranian Submarine Warfare Is Not the Dumbest Thing in the Caspian Sea By Ryan Faith June 3, 2014 | 8:25 am Iran is building its newest submarine in the Caspian Sea (several hundred miles from the nearest ocean) to face off against the navies of three landlocke...
Views: 487   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 24, 2016
by Randy Scott
Obit for OTAC Bobby Vermillion
Robert L. "Bobby" Vermillion passed away in Anniston, Ala., on Dec. 22, 2015 at age 68. Robert, a Ret. U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer, was preceded in death by parents, John and Georgia Vermillion; son, Henderson; brothers, John, William, Edward, Ernest, Freddrick...
Views: 613   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 24, 2016
by jack spencer
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Visits: