Start a New Topic 
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Exploiting Submarine Transients
Before he retired in 1992, George Miller wrote the most comprehensive assessment of submarine transients then – and probably still – ever written: two large, green-covered studies aimed primarily at activities other than IUSS but of obviously utility to I...
Views: 449   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 21, 2016
by Bruce Rule
OTMC David Andrews
Folks, I am doing some research on my father OTMC David Andrews. He passed away in 2002. While we were close, I did not know much about what he did in the service. I must say my dad loved the Navy. When he retired he worked for CACI. I was googling OTMC and act...
Views: 542   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 15, 2016
by pamela randall ...
Future ASW?
"An intricate dance is taking place in the South China Sea. The dancers are two shoals of fishlike swimming robots; they circle around each other, or drop to the seabed. Some are trying to follow the robots on the other side; some are trying to slip past and remain u...
Views: 509   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 09, 2016
by Rick Matthews
Swarming UUSVs Dominating Future Technologies?
Detection in a sea chock full of cheap, autonomous, sensors isn't as difficult as one might surmise? If your deployment survives clearing the harbor approaches, will a network swarm of passive trackers just handoff detection until the attack weapon arrives? The art...
Views: 396   Replies: 0
by Rick Matthews
Views: 440   Replies: 0
by Rick Matthews
Another passing
To All, It is with a heavy heart that I have to tell everyone that OTAC Barry L. Olson passed away while sleeping this past Friday, April 8th. His health has not been very good for the last several years due to some major health issues. Dawn
Views: 724   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 08, 2016
by Wayne Madsen
For George Widenor, Ed Smock, et.al.: More Fun & Games With Relative Transient TDFs.
Expanding on the linked posting of 30 Apr 16, just imagine what you could do with - for example - a transient source relative time-difference-fix (TDF) tracking solution of an otherwise undetectable or very marginally detectable target-of-interest that provided an ov...
Views: 422   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 01, 2016
by George Widenor
IUSSCAA Website Re-Design
Hello to all IUSSCAA members. We are in the initial planning stages for an overhaul of the IUSSCAA website at iusscaa.org. The current design has served us well for many years but it does not take advantage of newer technologies and is starting to fail in some br...
Views: 641   Replies: 6
by Webmaster
Medicare
Okay, just want some enlightenment from some of you medicare veterans. I'll be 65 in Feb and got my medicare card in the mail today. I read the booklet and talked to the medicare agent and got my questions answered, but would feel better hearing reality from some of...
Views: 514   Replies: 15
by jack spencer
ACOUSTIC DATA PROCESSING AND ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES
PREFACE This posting describes acoustic signal processing and analysis techniques that are an extreme example of the axiom that “the more carefully you measure something, the more you find out about many other things.” BACKGROUND DISCUSSIONS It...
Views: 845   Replies: 2
by Bruce Rule
Why the Legacy of the SCORPION Court of Inquiry is Misinformation
As we approach the end of the 48th year since the loss of the USS SCORPION at 18:42:34Z on 22 May 1968, it is appropriate – even at this very late date – to review the major erroneous conclusion reached by the SCORPION Court of inquiry (COI). Their basic...
Views: 442   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 27, 2016
by Bruce Rule
N Korea launches ballistic missile from submarine
But the U.S. is watching with great interest. Remember the "Battle of Midway" movie? There was a comment made while Charlton Heston was at the "O" club about "the wait and see'ers." Well we are one of them. Just saying.
Views: 414   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 26, 2016
by David Andrews Jr...
TFL Proposed Budget Changes
TRICARE For Life proposed changes, type this in and see what May be coming down the road for TFL users, new and or current users. Express Scripts, (TRICARE Pharmacy},prices on the rise again. Once we slide down this road there is NO return. What happens when a ret...
Views: 427   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2016
by Chuck Cable
Admiral Mark Ferguson : Russian sub activity expands to Cold War levels
See Admiral Ferguson's interview in the link. Russia is deploying its ballistic missiles and attack submarines in numbers, range and aggression not seen in two decades, according to a top U.S. Navy official. In an exclusive interview, the commander of U.S. Na...
Views: 553   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 21, 2016
by Rick Matthews
UPDATE: Former NATO Base at Keflavik, Iceland
Greetings all. As many of you are aware there has been much speculation and media coverage of US Navy's decisions to review options for Maritime Patrol Aircraft operations in Iceland. I've been in touch with my good friend Fridthor Eydal, a Public Relations officia...
Views: 709   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 20, 2016
by Randy Brown
India's new nuclear ballistic missile submarine
New submarine undergoing tests (INDIA).
Views: 475   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 20, 2016
by WebHamster
WHY THE USS THRESHER (SSN 593) WAS LOST
PREFACE In 1974, 76 years after the US Battleship MAINE (ACR-1) sank in Havana harbor, an event then attributed to a Cuban or Spanish mine, ADM H. G. Rickover directed a re-examination of photographs taken of the wreckage when it became available for inspection in...
Views: 867   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 19, 2016
by Bruce Rule
r
Russ L
If you happened to miss it the first time around. "Cold War - The Next Generation"
http://www.sltrib.com/home/3774711-155/us-says-russian-planes-buzzed-navy Washington • Russian attack planes buzzed a U.S. Navy destroyer in the Baltic Sea multiple times Monday and Tuesday, coming as close as an estimated 30 feet from the ship and twice...
Views: 394   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 18, 2016
by Rick Bolin
A Footnote to “A Suggestion for IUSS/ONI” Posted 10 Apr 16
While doing research for WHY THE USS SCORPION (SSN 589) WAS LOST, published in Oct 2011, I encountered – from an obscure source - what I have called “ancillary” information which - although it could not be usefully applied to analysis of the SCORPIO...
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2016
by Bruce Rule
A Suggestion for IUSS/ONI
If the temporal asymmetry between the compression and expansion phases of acoustic signals produced by submarine pressure-hull collapse events - discussed by todays THRESHER posting - can be confirmed and quantified through analyses of the SCORPION data - and whateve...
Views: 361   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Diesel submarine use in shallow water defense
May be of interest. Check out the Proceedings article.
Views: 393   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2016
by Dick Vermeulen
A Further Response to Randy Scott on New Information in Tomorrow's THRESHER Posting
Now approaching its final form, “WHY THE USS THRESHER (SSN-593) WAS LOST” will provide significant new information on the events that resulted in the tragedy, and on the results of the continued exploitation of the SOSUS data that provided most of what we...
Views: 327   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 09, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Refined THRESHER Flooding Rate Values, Implications Thereof
An individual who monitors this site - and to whom I am most grateful - has provided improved estimates for the rates at which flooding would have occurred aboard THRESHER had a pipe with a diameter between two and five inches actually ruptured at a depth of 1300-fee...
Views: 329   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 08, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Getting Useful “Intelligence” From the Local Fire Station - of All Places
As will be discussed in detail by a forthcoming posting on the loss of the USS THRESHER 53-years ago, the Court of Inquiry (COI) then concluded the disaster was the direct result of a breach in a sea-connected pipe between two and five inches in diameter at a depth o...
Views: 353   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 07, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Note to the Membership on an Upcoming Posting That – Hopefully – Will Interest a Few
With the approach of the 10th of April, which will mark the end of the 53rd year since the loss of the USS THRESHER (SSN 593), the writer has been working on a summary assessment of that event intended primarily - and hopefully - for use in the far future by any nava...
Views: 459   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 04, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Whatever School is Training New System Operators Should Be Teaching Very Basic Nuclear Propulsion
At the most basic level, nuclear reactors are heat engines with the heat used to produce steam to drive turbines for electricity and propulsion. There are two commonly used methods by which to extract heat from a reactor core: (1), the Soviet/Russian design best...
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 04, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Off Topic: As Usual the Weather on Mt Washington, NH is Lovely
Currently -9 F with freezing fog and winds steady from the west at 70 mph. Windchill -49 F. Update: now -11 F winds up to 83 mph with gusts to 91. Wind chill -53 F.
Views: 326   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 03, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Loss of another great shipmate
It was with saddened heart that I was informed by Sue Fessler that Master Jack passed away yesterday. Jack was a great man and friend and will be sorely missed. If I can get details on funeral arrangements I will pass along. My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to...
Views: 822   Replies: 25
Last Post: Mar 29, 2016
by Chuck Cable
Views: 371   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 26, 2016
by Rick Greatting
Interesting Scorpion and Thresher Video
Amazing destruction https://youtu.be/FSNlBqHTJcg
Views: 536   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 22, 2016
by Michael Hein
Russian submarine force (Senators input)
The link is an article found on "Drudge Report" today.
Views: 436   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 22, 2016
by Dick Vermeulen
Newgale Pembrokeshire poster
Was in Vincent Davies yesterday and saw a display of posters of the view of newgale from the top of the hill right by the layby. It's done as a 50's style travel poster and is pretty good. Even though I can drive out to look at that view anytime I want, I still had...
Views: 449   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 21, 2016
by Greg Dyer
Beverly Clark died from a stroke on 06 Jan 2016
Beverly died from a stroke on 06 Jan 2016 at 20:15. I held her hand during her last breath and heartbeat. Beverly had a stroke 28 Dec 2015. The CT showed it was a massive stroke with a blood clot that could not be removed, and a new cancer tumor on the small-brain...
Views: 484   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 20, 2016
by Ken Gross
Suggested Homework for Active-Duty Analysts - If Not Already Recommended
MIT DOCTORAL DISSERTATION (OCEAN ENGINEERING), JUNE 2013: “ANALYTIC AND NUMERICAL STUDY OF UNDERWATER IMPLOSIONS” Author of dissertation: Lynn Andrew Gish. B.S., United States Naval Academy (1993) M.M.E, Catholic University of America (1994) S.M., Massach...
Views: 359   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Form 1095-B Health Coverage
Right, I'm totally confused on this, hope some of the folks on here who reside outside the US can help me with information. As I'm reading the info on this form, I HAVE to have health coverage or I will be fined, unless I have an exemption. but nowhere on the form...
Views: 437   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 18, 2016
by Greg Dyer
U.S. Official: North Korean Submarine is Missing, Presumed Sunk
As much as I abhor the NK regime, it must take a lot of guts to go to sea (and submerge) in one of their submarines. See link for details. Rick
Views: 443   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 14, 2016
by Bruce Rule
STGC CHRISTOPHER SANDERS, USN
I don't usually introduce new members to our association membership except via the annual Cable newsletter. But I thought an infusion of new (younger) blood into the equation would help generate more, ahem, interesting discussions on the Message Board. Meet Chief Sa...
Views: 598   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 13, 2016
by Ed Smock
Fresh perspectives - note from STGC Chris Sanders, USN
Reposting a comment from Chief Sanders to bring it to the top if the Message Boards as a new thread. Thanks, Chief! - Jim "Thanks all for the warm welcome. As previously introduced, I have been staring at static for a little while now and I've loved doing a job...
Views: 386   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 13, 2016
by Jim Donovan
Acknowledging The Enormous Contribution Made By An Individual Who Cannot Be Publicly Identified
Forty-eight (48) years ago today, at midnight local on 11 March 1968, the GOLF II Class Soviet SSB K-129 was lost in the northwest Pacific. From acoustic data provided by a single individual more than 40-years after that event, the following assessments were deriv...
Views: 426   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Acoustic Data Collected at the Bottom of the Mariana Trench: 35,994 Feet
The detections discussed by the linked site may not be so surprising when one considers that hydrophones placed below the deep sound channel axis may have better performance than those located at the depth of the axis. This can be the case if the ambient noise lev...
Views: 451   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 08, 2016
by Tim Wenzel
Puzzling hum emanating from Pacific Ocean might be fish farts
Here's a new one for you - at least it was for me. See the article on the linked website. Rick
Views: 432   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 06, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Update on Jack Fessler
I just received word From Jack Fessler's wife that he seems to be giving up the fight and his condition seems to be getting worse instead of better. I have sent her a message to see if he is able to speak and if he has a phone in his room. I'll keep you posted as I r...
Views: 504   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 06, 2016
by Alan Madsen
Zero Confidence in Theory That "Puzzling Hum" Are Fish Farts; Show Me the Data & Analysis Thereof
Twenty years after George Miller - 1n 1991 - identified the extreme noise level in the South Pacific as geothermal activity (black smokers) near 54.1S, 140.5W, some so-called scientific assessments were still claiming monster fish, etc as the explanation. Before I...
Views: 379   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 04, 2016
by Bruce Rule
A Fascinating Article on ULTRA Comms Intercept During WWII. Implications for Soviet Comms in Oct 62
See link. One can conclude the Soviets - like the Germans in WWII - maintained tight control over deployed FOXTROTS during the Cuban Missile Crisis thereby providing the US with valuable intelligence on the positions of those submarines in WESTLANT..
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 02, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Russians Are Buying US Dollars as Ruble Continues "Downhill.": Impact on Military?
Russian ruble now worth 1.4 US cents or 73 rubles to the dollar. When I made my first rip to Norway in 1963, you could pay taxi drivers in dollars and often use dollars as the local currency. I'm sure you could do the same in Russia today if you were willing...
Views: 330   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 02, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Hearing Aids
Greetings Fellow Old People, As most of us are approaching or are members of the 75-85 crowd, the issue of hearing has taken on a sense of urgency, especially for me. Like most Vets with aural problems, I approached the VA only to be told that I could not success...
Views: 605   Replies: 14
Last Post: Feb 28, 2016
by Chuck Cable
THE SUBMARINE REVIEW, November 2015 Issue.
INTRODUCTORY NOTE: Site members will have read bits and pieces of the following article in my earlier postings but here it is in one document as published in the November 2015 Issue of THE SUBMARINE REVIEW. APPARENT FAILURE MODE OF THE PRESSURE-HULL OF T...
Views: 964   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 28, 2016
by Bruce Rule
More for Active-Duty Analysts on RIM (Ring) Motor Propulsors: Patent Issued to the USN
Counter rotating ducted fan (propeller) having a permanent magnet drive. US 7032859 B2 ABSTRACT A counter-rotating ducted fan having a permanent magnet drive comprising a ducted housing having an iron core stator and a pair of counter-rotating propeller bla...
Views: 325   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Question for Bruce Rule
Dear Sir, Last year, I bought your book,"Why the USS Scorpion (SSN-589) was Lost" on Amazon.com published by Nimble Books. I have read books on the subject of the USS Scorpion in the past: John Craven's book; Blind Man's Bluff; Offal's book; Silent Steel. I rea...
Views: 355   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 27, 2016
by Steve Lewis
Jack Fessler
Is there been any news on Jacks condition
Views: 424   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 26, 2016
by John Heizer
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Visits: