Start a New Topic 
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
NavFac Patches
Still looking....doesn't anyone on this website have any extra NavFac patches that they would be willing to sell from NavFac Midway and NavFac Cape Hatteras. Only 2 that I have not been able to located and procure. Time is running short, not getting any younger, an...
Views: 253   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 25, 2016
by Steve Carlson
Request for assistance - Cable Newsletter Project
Greetings all. I have paper copies of the following Cable newsletters that we'd like to upload to the website for future reference. Spring 1995 Fall 1995 Spring 1996 Winter 1997 Fall 1998 Winter 1998 Looking for a volunteer to scan the documents an...
Views: 462   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 25, 2016
by Jim Donovan
All IUSSCAA Cable newsletters (2000 - 2015) now available on this site
Greetings all. With the elimination of annual dues for membership in the IUSSCAA it is no longer necessary to keep publication of our annual Cable newsletters private for "dues paying members". Effective today the following newsletters are availale to everyone on ou...
Views: 587   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 24, 2016
by Webmaster
collection of stories
Team I would imagine that this has come up before, but I do not get into the web site often enough so I may be repeating an ideal. Many of the member have spent their life in the service of our great country and all that it stands for; some of us spent just six won...
Views: 461   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 24, 2016
by Randy Scott
Passing of a Sailor
I know this is personal but I wanted to share something about a fellow Navy man. On February 16, 2016, Eugene H. SCOTT passed away, age 89 years and 9 months. He enlisted in the Navy in 1943 at age 17 and subsequently served nearly 20 years as a Photographers Ma...
Views: 702   Replies: 13
Last Post: Feb 21, 2016
by Randy Scott
ACTUV may change HUKASW forever
See linked article
Views: 451   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2016
by Rick Matthews
Navy returning to former Cold War base in Iceland
Click on the link. Now they just need to reopen the NAVFAC!
Views: 580   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 12, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Very Surprised This Apr 2015 Article on Unemployment in Russia Was Released
See link. Oil now at $27 a barrel won't help this situation. It was $60 a barrel when the article was written.
Views: 333   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 11, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Acoustic Detectability of Project 885/885M Class Russian SSGN Secondary Propulsion System
SUMMARY The Project 885/885M YASEN Class Russian SSGN ((also known as the SEVERODVINSK, GRANEY (NATO), and “Ash”)) secondary propulsion system – not to be confused with the PG-141 dc motor component of the hybrid (turbo-electric - turbine-reducti...
Views: 909   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 11, 2016
by Bruce Rule
The Bear Stirs From Hibernation
The reason for increased Undersea Warfare spending?
Views: 517   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 10, 2016
by Chuck Cable
Project 885 Torpedo Specifications, For Those Concerns With Such Weapons
Pardon the machine translation. All Russian submarines of the fourth generation is expected to equip the universal deep heavy torpedo "Physicist-1" (Item 2534), development of which began in the NII "Morteplotehnika" back in 1986 Since 2007, it must be tested and...
Views: 360   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 08, 2016
by Bruce Rule
19 Jan 2016: Russia Scraps Plans for More Than 3-4 LADA Class Diesel Subs
COMMENT: More evidence that the LADA Class program - which has been hanging around since 1997 - and which never met Russian expectations - has been terminated after only 3-4 units - but will still be pushed on foreign navies. Twenty years of effort to develop an...
Views: 300   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 08, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Need your assistance. Unidentified photos
Hello all. It is that time once again. I am trying to do some site clean up and we have a few unidentified photos that have been uploaded that I need your help with. Some of these were uploaded with titles but not enough information for me to put them in the...
Views: 850   Replies: 22
Last Post: Feb 06, 2016
by dave fife
The U-2513 and President Harry Truman, A Curious Historical Note from Wikipedia
Service history of the German Type XXI Diesel Submarine, the U-2513 Her keel was laid down on 19 July 1944 by Blohm & Voss of Hamburg. She was commissioned on 12 October 1944. U-2513 conducted no war patrols. On 8 May 1945, the commanding officer surrendered h...
Views: 309   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 03, 2016
by Bruce Rule
What the BBC Said About US Spending on Undersea Warfare
Mr Carter (SECDEF) said the Pentagon aimed to spend $8.1bn on undersea warfare systems in 2017 and more than $40bn over the next five years. See link for context.
Views: 434   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 02, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Adak videos
I'm not sure if these have been posted here before but I just saw them the first time today so thought I would share. Brings back memories.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0pRVB8Tvg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIlKMfyRExM
Views: 416   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 01, 2016
by Randy Brown
Express Scripts
Beware of Cost increases in Express Scripts drugs. Effective today!!!!
Views: 428   Replies: 1
by Ed Smock
Propulsion Characteristics of the “Improved” 2nd Generation (Project 955A) BOREY Class SSBN
As previously discussed, in the fourth quarter of 2014, the subsidiary of the Onega Scientific Research Technology Design Bureau in Bolshy Karmen, Vladivostok, let a sub-contract for 1,198,951 Russian rubles (33K USD) to the Northeastern Repair Center in Vilyuchinsk,...
Views: 733   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
List of Former OTs still serving in uniform
I recently put out a query on the OTs and OTAs/OTMs Facebook page wondering how many former OTs were still serving and who might be the last to retire. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the number remaining in uniform. I was not surprised at how very fa...
Views: 962   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 29, 2016
by Randy Scott
More on BORESIGHT and a Review of a Book by W. Craig Reed
The linked review takes Craig Reed, the author of the perviously posted BORESIGHT item, to task for his book RED NOVEMBER. The link includes acerbic exchanges between Reed and the reviewer. I also had exchanges with Reed who, in the paperback edition of his boo...
Views: 406   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2016
by Randy Scott
Views: 571   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 28, 2016
by Randy Scott
East Coast Storm
No posts since storm I trust all on eastern seaboard are doing fine. There was quite a lot of snow from all reports. Told my son he left Norfolk just in time, went back to Coronado on the 15th. Hope everyone weathered the storm.
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 25, 2016
by David Annis
Statement by the CO, U-505 Subsequent to Capture of His Submarine on 4 June 1944
Statement of Commanding Officer of U-505 On June 4th about 1200 I was moving under water on my general course when noise bearings were reported. I tried to move to the surface to get a look with the periscope. The sea was slightly rough and the boat...
Views: 381   Replies: 3
by Webmaster
More on the U-505 Including ULTA Intercepts.
Greg, et al: See the link for just about everything you might want to know about the U-505 including translations of the ULTRA intercepts from a 1942 patrol. The original was classified SECRET HUSH. Bruce
Views: 357   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
BBC Assessment of Impact of Low Oil Prices on Russian Economy. (New Subs Become Unaffordable?)
COMMENT: eventually the economic impact of low oil prices will affect military budgets and Russian ability to support new submarine construction, BBC Article: Russia's economy contracted by 3.7% in 2015, according to preliminary figures published by the country...
Views: 317   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
IRS email Scams
Be cautious, I have received a few IRS Scam emails in the past few weeks. CEC
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2016
by Chuck Cable
Kara Conrad's Recovery
Hello All, For all of you that sent your words of encouragement in this forum and in other ways, I thank you. Its good to know that my best friends are truly those who served in "the system". Kara wound up in the hospital on Dec 10th. The reason for her admit...
Views: 467   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 20, 2016
by Ed Smock
Why Doing Research on a Soviet Submarine Scrapped 27 Years Ago is Important
Some may ask why it remains important to research a one-of-a-kind, special-purpose Soviet diesel submarine – the LIMA Class (Project 1840) - that never deployed, was not intended to deploy, had no torpedo tubes, could not snorkel, and was scrapped 27 years ago....
Views: 652   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 20, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Obit for CDR Richard C. Leavitt, jr
Myrtle Beach...CDR Richard Campbell Leavitt, Jr., USN(Ret.), age 77, of Southern Trail, died Thursday, February 20, 2014 at Conway Medical Center after a long illness. CDR. Leavitt was born in Syracuse, NY, a son of the late Richard Campbell and Eleanor Brigham Leav...
Views: 431   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 19, 2016
by Rick Matthews
Loss of the Soviet WHISKEY Class Submarine in 1981
See below (from Wikipedia) for surprisingly detailed discussion of the loss of the S-178; basically a lesson on how NOT to operate a submarine or support submarine operations from ashore. (This information had to have been provided by a Soviet - or later by a Russian...
Views: 370   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 18, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Two Variants of the LADA Class, One With a Main Motor Design from 1948; the Other Design from 1960
As originally conceived, the Project 677 Russian diesel submarine came in at least two versions: (1) the Project 677 LADA with a surface displacement of 1450 tons. and (2) the larger Project 677E with a surface displacement of 1765 tons. All Project 677 units were...
Views: 914   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 15, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Mat Snellings
Mat Snellings has passed away after a brave battle with cancer. Worked with him in Brawdy and RTF. He was a great guy and way to young. Obit was in Pilotonline.
Views: 290   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2016
by NAIDA STEVENS
Current update on Jack and Sue Fessler
Latest update from Jack Fessler's sister Peggy. Looks like things are improving but keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming. Hi John, Thank you for asking. Sue has mended nicely. Appears that her hip went back in and doesn't need the walker to assist her...
Views: 368   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2016
by John R. Vogt
Use of the IUSS
I was think late one night a week ago about the use of the IUSS over the tracking of subs and remembered a report i read 10 years ago wirtten by Joe George when he was at wood hole, I would like to link up again, anyway it is a good read- The seasonal distribution of...
Views: 439   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 13, 2016
by Randy Scott
CAPT Kelly Award - Bill Tilley
It gives me great pleasure to report that Commander Undersea Surveillance (CUS) has announced that our friend and shipmate OTCS William E. Tilley (Bill) has been awarded the Captain Joseph P. Kelly Award (posthumously). The recipient of the Captain Kelly Award is...
Views: 675   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jan 10, 2016
by Randy Scott
OTCM Richard Stow
I learned of the passing of Dick in a note Donna included in our Christmas card. She said that Dick passed away on December 2nd, although he had not been ill. Dick and Donna have been in Yuma, Arizona for many years, and spent a lot of time traveling the country in...
Views: 520   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 09, 2016
by John Ellis
Jack Fessler
Just saw this on Facebook posted by John Vogt: "I was talking with Terry Clower yesterday and he informed that Jack Fessler and his wife Sue were in a serious car accident and both are pretty broken up. From what I understand at this point, they were t-boned on th...
Views: 571   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jan 07, 2016
by Dick Moran
Passing of a IUSS family member
Today we lost a beautiful lady. For those of you who know Bobby & Paula Widsom, Paula passed away today suddenly and unexpectly. We request that you keep Bobby in your prayers. We do not know anything more at this time. We will keep you informed as information become...
Views: 570   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 05, 2016
by Ed Smock
1989 Fire at NOPF Ford Island
VA contacted CUS for confirmation of a fire at NOPF Ford Island as a verification matter for a veteran claim. Initial quick search of CUS gave no results. Many gone for the holidays. VA has already contacted National Archives in DC and was directed to CUS. Thank You...
Views: 410   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 05, 2016
by David Jones
Russia"s new "stealth" submarine (check out link)
I was reading a website news source and came across the link article which I thought might be of some interest to IUSS website readers.
Views: 539   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 03, 2016
by Bruce Rule
OTCM Marshal Pittman
Has anyone had any contact with Marshal lately. I haven't seen him post in quite a while. Sent him an email yesterday to check on him but no response yet. Any info would be appreciated.
Views: 504   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 03, 2016
by greg dyer
A Nuclear-Powered Rain Squall
On 10 Dec, Randy Scott wrote: “I didn't realize PAPA came out that early. At those speeds I wouldn't be surprised if the writers vibrated off their tables and styli had to be changed every 10 minutes. A shame it wasn't recognized at that time.” That as...
Views: 312   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 02, 2016
by Bruce Rule
Happy New Year
OK Gang. We've lost enough IUSS family members this year. So............, be careful out there tonight. In the mean time, Pat and I wish everyone a safe, prosperous and Happy New Year. John and Pat
Views: 369   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 02, 2016
by Chuck Cable
marshall pittman
just got a xmas card from marshall and fredna. his handwritting is shakey but still kicking
Views: 356   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 30, 2015
by Rick Bolin
A Shipmate and Good Friend Passes
For those that new him there was no better friend and shipmate than Bobby Vermillion. Word is being passed that Bobby passed very recently after an unexpected and short illness. Bobby and I shared an apartment in Arg in the 70-71 time frame. We were hard runners of S...
Views: 644   Replies: 13
Last Post: Dec 27, 2015
by jack spencer
Another Good Friend Gone
Advised via FB that Paula Wisdom, spouse of Bobby Wisdom and system veteran, passed suddenly after a short illness. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bobby, family, and friends during this sad time. Will try to get more details for IUSSCAA shipmates.
Views: 515   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 27, 2015
by Rick Matthews
A Signal Processing Approach
PREFACE This posting further discusses the previously posted conclusion that "the more carefully you measure something, the more you find out about many other things." BACKGROUND PAC SOSUS failed to identify acoustic detections of the loss of the GOLF II Cla...
Views: 747   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 26, 2015
by Bruce Rule
Merry Christmas
I just wanted to stop by this morning and not be "Politically Correct" Deb and I would like to wish our entire Navy family a very Merry Christmas and may God Bless you all. I also ask that we all take a moment to remember our fellow vets who are protecting our rights...
Views: 362   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 26, 2015
by OT2 Nick Stanfie...
Merry Christmas
I want to wish all the members and their families a Very Merry Christmas and Prosperous, Healthy, Happy New Year. May all your needs be met and your wants few. To those standing the watch today thank for you sacrifice and vigilance. All The best Tony Alfieri.
Views: 339   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 25, 2015
by David Annis
Passing of shipmate
Just learned that STC Earl Muir passed this past Monday. We were stationed on Bermuda and Nantucket. Will pass on any info I can gather ASAP
Views: 630   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 23, 2015
by Russ Burkhard
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Visits: