Start a New Topic 
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Grandson in National Guard
My grandson won the ROTC award for heroism in high school. He helped a lady who was having heat problems outside his school. Now he is at AIT (Ft. Benning) for training. He hopes to go active Army afterwards. I encouraged him to go nuke school (Navy) but he is Ar...
Views: 376   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 21, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
Navy uniforms
This topic has probably been posted here, however, this may be slightly different than previous one(s). It is an old topic but here goes: I think that changing our traditional "sailor looking outfits" was against our Navy distinguished appearance. I also think that...
Views: 520   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 20, 2013
by Gail Smith
ALL-CAPS MESSAGES ... no more
For sailors who find it hard to get through all-caps messages or think that they READ LIKE YOU’RE BEING SHOUTED AT, your time has come: The Navy is shifting to a new message-routing system that is cheaper and easier to operate and has the side benefit of sendin...
Views: 583   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jun 20, 2013
by Nick McConnell
Happy Father's Day to All
As I sit here remembering all the fine people I have known throughout my ongoing SOSUS/IUSS "adventure" (way too many to name),I do want to take a moment to wish all of you fathers out there a Very Happy Father's Day. Always, Ed Smock.
Views: 381   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 16, 2013
by Ed Dalrymple
Things we did (as a watch section)
When we were at the larger Navfac's we still pulled some stuff, although it was usually with a few of the watchstanders involved. But when I was stationed in Antigua (76-78), our entire watch section was usually involved in the pranks. Our supervisors name was Bob...
Views: 511   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 15, 2013
by John Walther
New technology from Boeing
This is a game changer. That is if China and Russia haven't already gotten it or will get it! IT seems like the Chinese sure do get a lot of "TOP SECRET" technology from us. Check out the video provided.
Views: 461   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 15, 2013
by Thom Prince
Jack Lecza
Last update on Jack Lecza was the beginning of May and they still were lookng for him. Does anyone know, at this time, if they have found Jack or not? Thks mch
Views: 518   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 13, 2013
by Suzy Johnson
Health foods and exercise
As we get older, many of us start to consider, even more, what is good for us to eat and not so good. We also quit smoking and drinking (LESS than we previously did). I would like to mention that I do my daily walk of 1.5miles and quit smoking over 8yrs ago. I als...
Views: 396   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 12, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
This is what a REAL leader sounds like
The content of the link provided will make you stand up and yell "WE ARE AMERICA" and will definitely show that the President, of this video, was one of the best and demonstrates the type of man we should always have leading our country in the highest office of the...
Views: 628   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 11, 2013
by Greg Dyer
Best ever Commanding Officers
Generally on this site we brag about ourselves......but the O Gangers played a large part in our successes.... My vote for best ever co is CDR Dick Porter What a great guy.......a sailor's CO..... Nick
Views: 736   Replies: 24
by OTACS Hal Cook, ...
Thank You
Shipmates, I would like to take a moments and repeat what probably has been expressed hundreds of times before now (I never was the sharpest nail in the box) how useful/ how helpful/ and how necessary uplifting this message board is. Speaking for myself it reconnect...
Views: 427   Replies: 1
by Director, IUSSCA...
Ex-OTC SCOTT M. LEWIS, SJ
Reconnected with Scott Lewis recently in Niagara Falls, Canada. Scott was stationed at San Salvador, CNFJ, COSP. Left the Navy and got his degree at Univ. of Hawaii. Converted to Catholicism, and became a Jesuit Priest. He studied and taught at the Vatican in Rome fo...
Views: 536   Replies: 1
by Jack Spencer
Patriotic song at its best
We don't have Elvis any longer,which is true. It was 1976 that I was in Antigua and walking across the playground at th NAVFAC heading towards admin and Linda Gau stuck her head out of her bedroom window and yelled at me that Elvis had died! What a shock! Many of...
Views: 333   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2013
by Pam (PT Myer) Tu...
Sports in the Navy
Shipmates, does anyone remember playing on the Navfac sports team, I played on the Flag Football team at Centerville beach and played and coached the seven man Basket Ball team in 79, and I also remember breaking my color bone in 78 in Kef reaching for a pass, who wa...
Views: 403   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 08, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
Update to photo album - Cheatham Annex
12 new photos have been uploaded to the Photo File "Cheatham Annex". Thanks Rick Matthews! Check out 12 new photos from the 2012 Memorial Day weekend event.
Views: 424   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 04, 2013
by Jim Donovan
RIP OT1 Dick "TC" Conley (Any pics or stories?)
Hello all, My Father "TC" Conley recently passed away and I found this site while researching for his shadowbox. Does anyone have any pictures or stories they can share? He was at 9/17/1960 – 4/28/1961 Fleet Sonar school Key West Fla. 5/15/1961 R...
Views: 539   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 03, 2013
by Chris Conley
My sons selection for CDR
For those of you who know my son Brian. He found out last week he was selected for Commander. He is an IWO and has 25 years active. He was enlisted for almost 10 years and made ATC before going to OCS. He is detailing in Millington, TN.
Views: 482   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 03, 2013
by Chuck Cable
Argentia
This is my 1st attempt to get a message on this site. If it works, I served in Argentia from December 1962 to Oct. 1964. I owned a 'New' 64 VW and drove out on the 'dirt' TCH on my way to Barbados. (By way of Fla.) I worked as a STG 2 section 3 Supervisor when I...
Views: 470   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 02, 2013
by Rick Matthews
FLASH: Russia to send nuclear submarines to southern seas
Russia to send nuclear submarines to southern seas MOSCOW | Sat Jun 1, 2013 9:40am EDT (Reuters) - Russia plans to resume nuclear submarine patrols in the southern seas after a hiatus of more than 20 years following the break-up of the Soviet Union, Itar-Tas...
Views: 413   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 01, 2013
by Jim Donovan
navfac lewis
Hi this is to anyone I knew at Lewes or in the Coastal inspection team. Although it is some 33/34 years that have past I still remember my time there with enjoyment. Bill Smith, OB Corning, Dick Eberey, Jerry Young etc all good Friends. I regularly visit or am...
Views: 340   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 31, 2013
by jumper colling
Argentia reunion
While at a legion meeting tonight, I heard of a proposed Argentia reunion for next summer. Details are still sketchy but the idea is to make the reunion part of a Placentia "Come Home Year" celebration. will post more as things get finalized. Frog
Views: 603   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 30, 2013
by jumper colling
Sad Anniversary
USS SCORPION (SSN 589) sank with all 99 hands, SW of the Azores, 45 years ago today.
Views: 558   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 24, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
Another OT in the Navy Spotlight - CMDCM (SW/AW/IUSS) Shay (Ramsey) Langejans USN
Another OT in the spotlight! CMDCM (SW/AW/IUSS) Shay (Ramsey) Langejans USN has been selected to become the next Command Master Chief (CMC) for aircraft carrier USS DWIGHT D EISENHOWER (CVN 69). She reports Aug-Sep 2013. Enlisting in 1987 as an undesignated airma...
Views: 912   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 23, 2013
by Gail Smith
Current (2013) status of former NAVFAC Kef site and NATO Base Keflavik
I received this note today from my friend Fridthor Eydal, former Iceland Defense Force civilian PAO (1983-2006). I thought many of you would like the current update on our former base. - Jim Donovan "Thanks very much for your kind response, Jim. The information...
Views: 756   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2013
by Jim Donovan
Return to Makin Island
Very moving and touching video. True story of the recovery of 19 US Marines Killed in Action on Makin Island in WWII and their return home to Arlington National Cemetery 58 years later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6f_FvZpm3g
Views: 413   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2013
by Jim Donovan
A Fun Saturday
Pat and I enjoyed a pleasant surprise and a fun Saturday when old friends W. B. H. (Bill) Smith and his wife Huong accompanied by John "Jumper" Collins with wife Dot, arrived on our doorstep for a visit. Most of you know Bill personally from his days at Lewes, Ber...
Views: 557   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 22, 2013
by Chuck Cable
IUSS First! CDR Carol McKenzie, USN completes successful Command at Sea Tour
For information - CDR Carol McKenzie, USN finishes quite the successful Command at sea tour on a naval combatant ship - a first for an IUSS member; first for a former OT! In any case, OTSA Carol (Dilts) McKenzie has come a long way! I am extremely proud of her....
Views: 1079   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 21, 2013
by CAPT Jim Donovan...
Oklahoma tradgedy
PEACE BE WITH YOU: Let us ALL pray for the people of OKLAHOMA CITY, MOORE and the surrounding towns affected by these terribley deadly storms and tornados, the loss of life and the missing! I pray for God to restore and grant peace through grace to all. also pray fo...
Views: 433   Replies: 1
by Chuck Cable
NAVY announces elimination of base decals, effective 1 June
In the near future, the OPNAV staff will transmit a NAVADMIN (draft below this note) announcing the elimination of base decals, effective 1 June 2013. Over the past year, CNIC HQ has worked closely with the OPNAV and the Secretariat staffs to ensure vehicles...
Views: 943   Replies: 1
by J. Ellis
Favorite international foods
I was privledged to have been all over the world. It is my pleasure to point these foods out as my favorites: 1. Japanese ramen, 2. Icelandic fried cod, 3. Guamanian BBQ chicken and 4. Antiguan steamed lobster and conk chowder. I actually had the most fun at these...
Views: 407   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 15, 2013
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
Boeings X-51 Wave rider
The link is very interesting. Imagine going coast to coast in 40 minutes! Star Trek technology is knocking at the door and is quickly becoming a reality!
Views: 407   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 09, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
St. John's NFLD
For all you old "John's Runners" there is a nice article in the May edition of Coastal Living. They mention "kissing the cod and doing a shot" Screech Rum of course. Since I did not do any John's running I would not know if some of the pubs mentioned were there back...
Views: 495   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 05, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
Ray Martin
Only recently found out that Ray Martin passed away on Sept 20, 2010. He was married to the same beautiful lady for almost 30 years and had 3 sons. Trying to piece together his bio for the memorial page to no avail. For anyone who knew him, your assistance is appreci...
Views: 540   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 04, 2013
by Pam (PT Myer) Tu...
RIP Mike Pratt Brawdy CB
I am so saddened because I have found out today that a fellow Shipmate has passed away today. He was a Seabee in the U S Navy and We were stationed overseas at Brawdy. He leaves behind his wife Kim Whitrock Pratt and 2 sons.
Views: 483   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 02, 2013
by Greg Dyer
"Serve in Silence"
Check out this website -Silent Heroes of the Cold War Memorial@coldwarmonument.org- Very interesting articles from the latest American Legion issue for May 2013. CEC
Views: 487   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 01, 2013
by Chuck Cable
USS Van Voorhis DE1028
Bits for sale here..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140964852620&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160 Cheers, Greg
Views: 428   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 28, 2013
by Greg Dyer
Carbon dust
Prior to the Navfac upgrades, people (as many of us know) had to work without having the vacumn system. We had to vacumn the carbon out of the trays and around them manually. We had to breath this dusty air. Everyone knows about the immediate smell of the carbon u...
Views: 714   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 26, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
No Chatter since 12 April??
With all the news/issues out there why so quiet here??? Anyone hear how Pat Haney is doing? Chuck & Linda
Views: 436   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 19, 2013
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
Old Test Equipment
A friend of mine came across what he says is some VERY old OTM test gear for the disk drives and Terminet printers. He is wondering if there might be somewhere (IUSS-related museum or something) out there that would be interested in having this stuff? If so, le...
Views: 448   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 19, 2013
by Rick Greatting
NK and their silvery subs
Since NK and the potential conflict with them is high up in the news now I thought I would post this in the link.
Views: 416   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 18, 2013
by Tom Niemiec
United Health Care
TriCare recently changed vendors for the western US to United Health Care - Military. I live in a small town and had difficulty finding a doctor when we moved here who would even take TriCare Prime when it was administered by TriWest. When the recent change occurred...
Views: 505   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 18, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
Chained CPI
All be aware that a "Chained CPI" will of course not only effect those of us drawing Social Security, but those of us also drawing a retirement check for Military Service and Civil Service as well. CEC
Views: 432   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2013
by Chuck Cable
Thoughts and Prayers for Pat Haney
All, Some messages are very hard to write. This is one of them. For those of you that know Pat Haney (Ed Haney’s wife), Pat has been and continues her desperate fight against brain and ovarian cancer. No details are needed as we all know how serious this figh...
Views: 462   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 07, 2013
by Ed Smock
2012 JOSEPH P. KELLY AWARD RECIPIENT - Mr. Bruce Rule
From Commander Undersea Surveillance, Dam Neck, VA: "It is with great pleasure that we announce that Mr. Bruce Rule is the recipient of the 2012 Captain Joseph P. Kelly Lifetime Achievement Award. This prestigious award is given to an individual whose significant...
Views: 1708   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 07, 2013
by Director, IUSSCA...
NK mini subs missing
I thought it was of interest. There are two mini subs missing from N Korea. These subs are 30m long and can carry 10 people. The duration is 3-4 days and may be longer. The website was "BEFORE ITS NEWS" dated 4/4/13.
Views: 374   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 04, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
Location of Early NAVFAC in New York??
In the historical data on the SOSUS program, an early evaluation center is reported to have been located in New York. I have been unable to find the exact location and believe it may have been in Fort Tilden, Rockaway Point, NY. Does anybody have any information...
Views: 509   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 30, 2013
by Ed Dalrymple
Grand Turk Zippo lighter
Never got to go there, but spotted this on Ebay...thought someone on here might want it to remember the "good old days". Cheers, Greg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190812706820&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
Views: 573   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 29, 2013
by Dave Fife
USS FREEDOM
I recently had an email from my good friend Jerry Juliana about this vessel. The technology is amazing and this ship will be one heck of an asset to the Pacific fleet. If NK is serious about their threats, they better realize that "Don't tread on me" npt just an ex...
Views: 365   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2013
by Dick Vermeulen
20 Members being dropped from IUSSCAA membership
UPDATE: Currently there are 20 members still delinquent in dues from 2011. All have been the target of at least one dues request and have received the 2012 CABLE newsletter and directory. We are assuming they have moved and/or changed email or mailing address. In...
Views: 560   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 28, 2013
by Director, IUSSCA
Passing of CDR Robert Slack
With heavy heart I report the loss of our friend, mentor, counselor, CDR Robert "Bob" Slack, USN - Ret. Bob was the COSL EMO '80 - '83, and OIC SURTASS Support Center '86 - '87. There will be a memorial service this morning at Thalia Lynn Baptist Church, Virgina Beac...
Views: 1106   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 25, 2013
by Armand Rubbo, AS...
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Visits: