Replies
Last Post
Your pick for best and worst John Wayne movie
Best The Quiet Man. Worst Green Beret
Views: 503   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 02, 2012
by Ray Edmondson
odd places
Anyone else know anything about St. Lawrence Island?
Views: 594   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 30, 2012
by Russ "Ob" Ober...
HMS Ambush, the Royal Navy's newest nuclear attack submarine
HMS Ambush launched. Great pics. See link. Inside the Navy's new £1 billion supersub: Deadly Hunter Killer submarine is capable of hearing a ship leaving port in New York... whilst sitting underwater in the English channel One of the world's most sophis...
Views: 494   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 30, 2012
by Charlie Costa
Sopwith Camel / Spitfire
While both are famous aircraft, I think the Sopwith Camel is the real star of this video. Rick
Views: 338   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 29, 2012
by Rick Greatting
New naval superpower
Behold the new sub in Iran's fleet! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240160/Irans-navy-showcases-bright-new-warship---damage-wont-coming.html
Views: 396   Replies: 0
by David Popejoy
Another poem??
The poem that Tim listed got me thinking, so I wrote this little ditty last night, and added it to my Eleuthera website. Hope you all enjoy it. Charlie
Views: 417   Replies: 0
by Charlie Costa
Funny little poem from Ramey
Funny little poem from Ramey: www.flickr.com/photos/57638888@N06/8221335871/
Views: 441   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 26, 2012
by Tim Wenzel
Funny COSL note
I came across this in some of Rae LeSesne's old papers...pretty funny: http://www.scribd.com/doc/114524048/COSL-Note
Views: 483   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 26, 2012
by Tim Wenzel
Memorable Thanksgivings in "The System"
I thought it might be interesting to hear from folks regarding their most memorable Thanksgivings while serving in the "System". I'll start. - Jim Donovan
Views: 484   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 25, 2012
by Ed Smock
A fighter jet lands successfully on China's first aircraft carrier.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right down to the color of the flight deck jerseys and hand signals! A fighter jet lands successfully on China's first aircraft carrier. A recent training session saw several landing drills carried out with the new Chin...
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 25, 2012
by Jim Donovan
Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you out there. I feel we have much to be thankful for. Our country and our families come to mind immediately. No matter what challenges we are facing there is always someone who is facing even greater challenges. Hope all is well with eac...
Views: 426   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012
by Jim Donovan
Happy Thanksgiving to All
Linda and I hope all is well with everyone on the eve of Thanksgiving Day. Enjoy the day and remember all the troops that remain away from loved ones on this special Holiday. Chuck & Linda
Views: 340   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012
by Jim Donovan
RTF Dam Neck Latin Phrase?
I have a patch from RTF Dam Neck that has a Latin phrase on it. I am curious if anyone knows the translation of the phrase or the original intent on using the phrase on the patch? I have tried some of the online Latin translation websites, but cannot seem to get a...
Views: 393   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 21, 2012
by greg dyer
Great Cable issue
Great job on this year's Cable, Jim. Like you said, it truly is a coffee table piece. To name a few, I had tears in my eyes, laughing so hard, reading George Widenor's article. Dick Rentner's 'Assignment Cape May' reads like a novel, written from the heart. Then ther...
Views: 431   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 21, 2012
by Dave Bailey
Hello to all my old friends.
I recently re-joined the IUSS Alumni Association. Glad to be back. To Jim Donovan - I received the IUSS items in the mail today. Thanks, they are GREAT! For those who met my oldest son Jason at NOPF Dam Neck, Jason completed four tours in Iraq and one in Afgha...
Views: 512   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 20, 2012
by John Costner
The Man Who Saved the World on PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/featured/the-man-who-saved-the-world-about-this-episode/871/ There was an excellent program on PBS tonight; Secrets of the Dead, the Man Who Saved the World. It was about the Soviet officer on a diesel electric submarine during the...
Views: 522   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 18, 2012
by Peter Nicoll
Veterans Identification Card
The end of last year (11/23/11) I posted a message on this subject and sent for my card (see website link) providing the information requested, a passport size photo, and a check for the required amount to the address indicated on the order form: U.S. Veteran Compens...
Views: 1088   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 16, 2012
by meredith
2012 edition of The Cable is published
Greetings all. Quick note to let you know that we just published The Cable newsletter. It was delivered to 664 members of the IUSSCAA via email. I think this may be one of the best Cable newsletters we have ever published and I encourage each and every one of...
Views: 647   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 14, 2012
by Director, IUSSCA...
Smokey, our Eleuthera base bartender
For those who knew him...I Just found out that Smokey has cancer. No details yet, but I'll post as soon as I hear more. Please keep him and his family in your prayers. Click for a picture of Smokey, just days before he opened up his restaurant in James Cistern, when...
Views: 495   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 13, 2012
by Marshall Pittman
Veteran's Day
I want to wish all the veterans. past and present, a wonderful Veteran's Day. I was proud to serve in the Navy, and met many great people during my time at OT A school, and serving at Kef and Pt. Sur.
Views: 382   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 11, 2012
by Chuck Cable
Newsletter
Isn't this the month the newsletter is due out? I saw where Lorren Jackson was a contributor this year and can't wait to see his article. I'm betting it's either on great trains & locomotives that shaped the world...or an essay on the re-enactment strategies & tactic...
Views: 464   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 09, 2012
by greg dyer
China's modernization of its Navy
The link is a report on China's effort to modernize it's Navy. They are working hard at becoming a "blue water" Navy.
Views: 374   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 09, 2012
by Dick Vermeulen
WW2 Sub Vets Organization disbanded
NEW LONDON, Conn. – The submarine veterans of World War II have seen this coming for a long time. At their national convention this month, 62 veterans attended where thousands used to go. The U.S. Submarine Veterans of World War II disbanded at the end of...
Views: 451   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 08, 2012
by Lorren Jackson
Passing of OT3 Stefan Joachim Michalak
According to the navetsusa.com website (see the attached link) OT3 Stefan Joachim Michalak who was a member of my watch section in the 1972-73 timeframe at NAVFAC Bermuda died 26 July 2012. Location of the service is listed as O'Brien/Sullivan Funeral Home - Novi but...
Views: 632   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 07, 2012
by Denny Conrad
Russian Sierra 2
Interesting read. Thought you might like to read about what the "Ruskies" are up to. I'm sure they really are doing the usual. This one just made the papers.
Views: 481   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 06, 2012
by Dick Vermeulen
1,199,916 and Counting
Any one else been noticing the visit counter at the bottom of the page? We are now at 1,199,916 visits. Who will be 1,200,000? If you notice it hit that number when you log in, reply here and leave a comment. Looking back, it was on December 24, 2009 (about 3 years a...
Views: 615   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 05, 2012
by Michael Hein
Sandy and Our Shipmates on the East Coast
Does anyone have any info on our shipmates in Virginia and the rest of the East Coast. I did manage to speak to someone in Buxton but the connection was really bad. The end of the Avon fishing pier is gone but expected to be repaired by next week. The highway is dama...
Views: 434   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 03, 2012
by Marshall Pittman
Go Navy!
Me thinks the midshipmen might have too much time on their hands. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHufV9g4k4 Rick
Views: 422   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 02, 2012
by Jim Donovan
Home insurance (SANDY)
After Katrina, on the Mississippi gulf coast, there was a heck of a problem with our insurance companies. The worst of them was Allstate and State Farm. The best was Farmers, Prudential, Nationwide, and USAA. One of the issues was sorting out the flood waters vice t...
Views: 375   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 01, 2012
by Dick Vermeulen
Hurricane Sandy
To all in harms way "Stay Safe" and good luck. Chuck
Views: 535   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 31, 2012
by Ben Raugh
The underwater Cuban missile crisis
Article on Soviet submarine threat during Cuban missile crisis.
Views: 518   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2012
by Rick Matthews
Wife's retirement
All, For those of you who remember me Hello. For those of you who remember my wife the former OTA2 Erika Boxberger I am asking for a little help gathering some items for her retirement shadow box. Erika served at NAVFAC Kef (84-86) and NAV FAC Brawdy (86-89). We b...
Views: 395   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 29, 2012
by Gary Johnson
Best beach
I was so lucky to be able to go to Antiqua and Guam in the Navy. I personally loved "Half Moon Bay" in Antiqua and this beach offered body surfing and, going down a little ways from there, you could snorkel with actual live (not dead) coral! This was in 76'. The N...
Views: 493   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 18, 2012
by Tim Wenzel
Needed: A Sub Change - by Norman Polmar
I thought this article might be of interest to our membership. Thanks for sharing, Bruce Rule. - Jim Needed: A Sub Change By Norman Polmar Who is in charge of the U.S. submarine force? The newly established N97 staff in the Office of the Chief of Naval...
Views: 730   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 14, 2012
by Charlie Costa
Best Section every In kef
Work on Bragg now in It and was talking to an old Radio man about Kef 77-78 we were in differernt sections, but OT1 Donovan section with Eng Wolf. Jack lecza was the best, drank alot too. Wow that was a long time ago
Views: 675   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 13, 2012
by Dick Vermeulen
Commander Navy Personnel Command Surprise
Received in the mail a couple days ago an update to my DD-214 (a DD-215) with a couple awards. Two Combat Action Ribbon awards and an additional Vietnam award, the Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation (Gallantry Cross Medal with Plam). I was in touch with...
Views: 637   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 02, 2012
by Tim Wenzel
Tricare Dental
It seems like the members here keep pretty good track of this stuff, so I thought I would share. I received an email from Tricare yesterday saying the dental program (TRDP) was going through a rate increase. Yeah, I guess you could call 40% an increase...that's w...
Views: 457   Replies: 0
by Tim Wenzel
SOSUS was combat duty?
I have a question. While perusing the net, I came across a very interesting article on SOSUS. About halfway down the page was the following text. "SOSUS work appeared on yiour fitness report and record as combat experience equal in value to time at sea. The Navfac...
Views: 844   Replies: 5
by Tim Wenzel
BEST CARPOOLS OF THE PAST
I thought that I good idea for a string would be CARPOOLS of the past. I remember two in particular that can be used to kick it off. My longest CARPOOL stint was with Gary Peterson. We car pooled in Hawaii from 1974-6 from base housing (Halsey Terrace) to Hospital...
Views: 465   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2012
by Chuck Harding
Thank You.....
I received the last rocker this morning (Navoceanprofac Ford Island Hi) completing my 5 year search for the rockers of all my duty stations. I want to thank all the members who responded with offers of rockers or advice on where I might be able to find them....
Views: 501   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 13, 2012
by Director IUSSCAA
Veterans Voice - Help for Tinnitus?
Veterans suffering from tinnitus related to their military service will have access to a nonsurgical, nonpharmacological treatment that uses low-level tones to relieve the often debilitating condition. The Department of Veterans Affairs awarded a contract to SoundC...
Views: 520   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 13, 2012
by OTACS Hal Cook
Band of Brothers Day
Subject: Fw: Band of Brothers Happy Brother's Day  You may have served in Combat or in non-combat. You may have retired out or you may have served for a short time. You may have been a draftee or a volunteer. You may have served in the Corps, Army...
Views: 474   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 12, 2012
by Nick McConnell
LOOKING FOR SHIPMATES
My name is Tom Hammond, and I am the Son-In-Law of Donald (Don) Decker. He was stationed in Eluthria in 1957 - 1960. He helped build the commissary and then ran it. Don and his wife Marlyn lived in a house in Governor's Harbor named Aclear. Had a daughter named...
Views: 362   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 12, 2012
by Tom Hammond
Thank you Ensign Gilfert for the Photos of SNI
I just wanted to thank you for posting your photos. It brings back old memories.
Views: 374   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2012
by Bob Rose
OTA RATING INSIGNIA
Good Morning, My name is LNC(SW/IUSS) Kreiner. I was an OTA from 1990 until the merge with the Sonar Tech timeframe. I retire this December and am looking for a OTA rating insignia for my shadowbox and cannot find one anywhere. Any help would be great....
Views: 934   Replies: 21
Last Post: Sep 10, 2012
by Bob Rose
IMPORTANT: OVERDUE MEMBERSHIPS - please read
We recently sent out reminders to 79 individuals whose memberships had lapsed over the past 6 months. Several have responded with payment of dues. We note that 226 additional memberships were overdue on 31 Aug 2012. That's more than 1/3 of our total membership....
Views: 734   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 04, 2012
by Director, IUSSCA...
UPDATE: Call for 2012 Cable newsletter articles - Due 30 Sep
Here's an update on the articles I have received thus far for this year's Cable newsletter. - CDR Carol McKenzie, USN (former OT) - CO, USS GERMANTOWN - Charlie Costa - My Cold War Story - RADM Peter Marshall - How the System can Really Work, if given the chan...
Views: 474   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 02, 2012
by Director, IUSSCA...
RADM A. Byron Holderby, USN (Ret)
It is with extreme sorrow that I inform you of Death on 24 Aug 2012. His Obit can be viewed online in the Virginia Pilot. EKD
Views: 622   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 01, 2012
by Mark Otto
Akula Operates in GoMex
Article written by Bill Gertz, who reports on defense issues, reveals that an Akula SSN operated in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks in June and July 2012! Read the article at link: http://freebeacon.com/silent-running/
Views: 825   Replies: 14
Last Post: Aug 27, 2012
by John Honeycutt
Only need 2 more rockers!!
Thanks to finding one on Ebay, and the kind help of 2 members on here, I only need Navfac Barbers Pt Hi and NOPF Ford Island Hi to complete my collection of duty stations I served at. I didn't bother with school commands, for obvious reasons. If there is anyo...
Views: 586   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 25, 2012
by Michael Hein
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Visits: