The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stahl House cannot be Ken Franklin's house

It most certainly is. It was featured in "Prescription Murder" too. A very common shooting location, the Stahl House was also used in the following shows and movies:

The Rockford Files
Banacek
Adam 12
Emergency!
Smog {1962}
The First Power {1990}
The Marrying Man {1991}
Corina, Corina {1994}
Playing by Heart {1998}
Why Do Fools Fall in Love? {1998}
Galaxy Quest {1999}
The Thirteenth Floor {1999}
Where the Truth Lies {2005}

Yes, it was used in the Prescription Murder episode but it CANNOT be the house used in the other two episodes that I mentioned. The Stahl house has NO front yard and NO upstairs/second story. It's not physically possible.

Ron Middlebrook
Yes, it was used in the Prescription Murder episode but it CANNOT be the house used in the other two episodes that I mentioned. The Stahl house has NO front yard and NO upstairs/second story. It's not physically possible.
Well, you're mistaken, but I'm not going to argue with you.

Simon, not arguing, just trying to find the truth. You really do need to do a close Google Map look at the Stahl house before making a final determination--don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself. The address is '1635 Woods Drive, Los Angeles'.

You'll notice that the Stahl house is a single story dwelling with no front yard while the Franklin/Wagner house has a front yard and TWO stories. (If you just address those two facts I'd be really impressed). That's some shape-shifting house!

Here are some other differences that don't add up:

The Stahl house is built of metal and glass, the Franklin/Wagner house is clearly made of wood and brick.

The Franklin house pool features a diving board mounted on a side of he pool with a high back side covered in tile--the Stahl house has never had this.

There is a lawn next to the pool in the Franklin house where the pool meets the house--the Stahl house a cliff instead--the picture you posted proves this.

The front of the Stahl house is a metal wall covered by vines or ivy and no yard or landscaping of any kind (clearly shown in Prescription Murder) but in Murder By the Book Columbo and Ken Franklin walk from the front door down along path in a well landscaped front yard with a lawn to the car and on their left is a large brick and wood wing of the house showing a second story-how would this be possible with the L-shaped configuration of the Stahl house? Has the Stahl house ever had a second story or a front yard?

Watch those episodes for yourself and tell me where I'm wrong.

In the mean time the physical evidence just does not support you. Until someone can show me some hard evidence--especially answering the 2nd story/front yard issues--the Stahl cannot be the Franklin/Wagner house.

Your research is very impressive, but if you’ll just review the episodes comparing the structures keeping in mind that they‘re filming from different sections of the property, that might do the convincing. If that’s not enough, I’ve taken snapshots of the IMDb data under shooting locations listed for each. Read’m and weep ...

Simon, I don't mean to be beating you up, my apologies of it comes across that way. I really haven't done any research other than what I have gleaned by watching those three episodes and from looking at Google Map.

I am aware of the material that you presented and until I looked more carefully I thought that the Stahl house was the Franklin/Wagner house.

In fact, it was this website that led me to see the truth of the matter--one person here pointed out that the Franklin house was the same as the Wagner house and there is even the same painting on that brick fireplace in both episodes and I realized that there is no room like that in the Stahl house.

I watched the episodes very carefully after that.

I have presented several hard facts about what is glaringly obvious to anyone who wants to look and they all remain unanswered.

Above all, can you explain how the Franklin/Wagner house has a second story when the Stahl house has never, NEVER had a second story? Can you show me any hard physical evidence at all-even one scrap?

I'm showing you the sun and you're telling me that it's not shining.

Is there any other of you devoted Columbo fans out there that can see what I am talking about?

Whether it has, or doesn't have a second floor is unimportant, the point is, the Stahl house WAS used in these episodes. Get it now?

Maybe you should find something more important to agonize over Ron ... like what's being done to your country.

Hi Ron,

I think you have a good point, and that it's more than possible that this has been listed incorrectly. An old thread that I'll bump up suggests that the house in 'Murder by the Book' and 'The Most Crucial Game' is actually on Airole Way.

Unfortunately some contributors to this forum are unable to admit that unverified information may be incorrect.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe the house in the photo below was the Franklin / Wagner house.

The other house, the Stahl house, was used in Prescription Murder.

photo wagner_zps215b4fe8.jpg

Mitch,

I think you got it! That house has features that clearly match the configuration of the Franklin/Wagner house--the diving board is even in the right place. It even has the winding cement stairway that Hanlon climbs when he's carrying that block of ice to murder Wagner with.

Two questions:

How did you find it? AND What is the address?

Ron Middlebrook
Mitch, How did you find it? AND What is the address?

It was found by syldeg, in the thread called 'House Used in Prescription: Murder and The Most Crucial Game'.

The address is Airole Way, Beverly Hills. All the credit goes to syldeg. I'm just chiming in with my opinion that I believe there are two houses. The Franklin/Wagner house and the Stahl house.

tffff,

Thanks for your help, this has been a puzzler for me. Do you have an address? I'd like to Google it and check it out. Thanks again.

Ron, You're right from the beginning. The address of this property is 944 Airole Way,Los Angeles,CA 90077 USA. now the property is completely rebuilt but you can see that even the shape of the bend right on the property (west side of property) is the same as in the movie The Most Crucial Game.

So this property was used twice: in Murder by the Book and in The Most Crucial Game.
The Stahl house is used only in: Prescription Murder.

I am amazed by people who are discussing without checking the facts. The argument that this was Stahl House because... this was Stahl House is not serious. Your honesty in seeking the truth is respectable.