The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Suitable For Framing" Question

I want to apologize for the abruptness in my initial comment's tone; I realize it may have come across as quite negative, and I'd like to elaborate on my comment in a way that I hope lacks that abrasiveness. One of the main difficulties I have with the story is that before Columbo has even had a chance to check up on Dale's activities at the gallery, or know anything about his manner or personality, he seems to latch onto him right as he enters the crime scene, and hardly before Columbo himself has had any substantial time at the scene. And again, I love Ross Martins' performance, but I feel he has little reaction to Columbo throughout the episode other than that of disdain, and to me comes off as one of the less compelling villains. I'll have to admit, though, that I might be a bit of a hypocrite here, because I find the murderers in both "Greenhouse Jungle" and "The Most Crucial Game" quite interesting in spite of their constant frustration with Columbo. I felt in those episodes, though, that there seemed to be more investigation and questioning other people on Columbo's part, which for me, at least, evens things out a little. My personal view of "Suitable for Framing" is that while Columbo does a lot to make Dale feel uncomfortable or trip up, he doesn't engage as much in finding clues, cross-referencing information etc. (though he, of course, does some) Although the series is obviously not supposed to be an accurate portrayal of police investigation generally, I personally enjoy the touches that suggest Columbo really digging into a case, such as "A Stitch in Crime", where he follows up on the letters MAC, and also consults the hospital staff about dissolving suture. These elements, for me, make the culprit being nabbed more gratifying; I feel episodes such as "Suitable" veer too much in the direction of Columbo using mostly harassment and devious tactics, while not staying as true to his role as a police investigator who works within the law. (I like it most when it's a mixture of both, though)
There are many elements of "Suitable" that I do enjoy immensely; it's not that I think it's a bad episode, I just feel there are many others that had a better balance of all the outstanding qualities in the series.

When Dale walks in, a plain clothes officer comes in right behind him and tells Columbo who he is, then Columbo asks the butler if Dale was going to take over the house, the butler says yes. This automatically makes him a person Columbo needs to check out. Then he notices Dale preoccupied with the paintings before he asks what happened, then Columbo asks Dale about another painting on the wall and Dale assumes he wants to know the meaning of the painting and that's not what Columbo was going to ask him. Columbo was going to ask him about the value of the painting not what the meaning of it was. And still Dale hasn't asked any thing about his uncle or what happened. The only emotion he shows is when he sees the two empty frames. This seems like plenty of reason to suspect the guy almost right away. This seems so obvious to me.

It's interesting how we all see the episodes in different ways, this is one of my top episodes, I enjoy watching Columbo chase after Dale. Any Old Port is one of my least favorite, I'm always surprised when people talk about what a great episode it is, so we all get different impressions for various reasons. Same thing with Fade To Murder I don't like that one at all.

I can understand your point, J, and perhaps I'm being too fussy in regards to reasons why Columbo might suspect Dale. My personal favorite episode in the first season (and one of my favorites in the series) is "Death Lends a Hand". In that episode, of course, Columbo first suspects Brimmer when he reads his palm and feels the ring, but one can almost get the impression that Columbo already had some suspicion about Brimmer even before doing the reading, and he decided to read Brimmer's palm specifically to cement the suspicion he already had. So in this instance, too (and perhaps I'm reading too much into things) it almost seems Columbo's suspicion is inexplicable. Somehow with that episode, though, it doesn't bother me so much that there's immediate suspicion (again, if there is any at all; I might just be seeing something that isn't intended), so I feel the frustration I have with "Suitable for Framing" must come from the sum of all its parts, rather than that one aspect alone. I suppose this sense of incredulity I feel toward "Suitable's" plot may stem from my general preference for a murderer who is played more straight, with less of the perpetual sneer and arrogance I feel Dale and a few other murderers have. Of course, one of the appeals of the show is to have a humble detective catch an arrogant culprit, but I personally tend to like it best when that arrogance is toned down just a little, such as in "Death Lends a Hand", "Playback", and the one that will always be my favorite, "Etude in Black". For me, the less bravado and showmanship the murderer has, the more believable the overall episode seems to be. Of course, one great thing about the series is that it offers a wide range of relationships between Columbo and the murderer, as well as a great variety in tone and atmosphere, so although "Suitable for Framing" isn't one of my overall favorites, I do enjoy it immensely for its own unique charms.
I do agree about "Any Old Port in a Storm". Though I wouldn't count it among my least favorite, it does seem rather overrated. And "Fade Into Murder" is one of the episodes I've watched the least, along with "Lovely But Lethal".
By the way, I want to apologize, Archideus; I realize things have strayed quite far from your original topic, but I'm glad we've been able to discuss these things. Thank you for your graciousness in allowing this deviation from your original topic!

I know this is jut a movie, but I don't believe Columbo would go with all of this in real life. If in fact he didn't know whether these were the stolen paintings he touched and that was just a hunch, then if Columbo would be wrong he would have nothing on Dale and Dale would know that Columbo suspects him and leave the country or something. The only thing that saves this ending is the reaction of Dale and if that was just Columbo's bluff. Just like the reaction of that detective looking for the contact lense in the trunk of the car. In that episode Columbo himself said, that the reaction of the murderer incriminated him and not the evidence. Maybe Columbo just assumed (basing on how Dale reacted when Columbo wanted to see what he had in the bag), that he touched the stolen paitings in Dale's apartment and risked confronting him with his theory. But that was careless in my opinion. They found fingerprints on the paintings, but at that point they could not know that they were in fact Columbo's. The would have to make the lab verify that. It would be ok for me if Columbo would check it in the lab first and then confront Dale. After being 100% sure his theory was right. Just like in the episode with the General what's-his-name. Columbo FIRST had the pistol checked in the lab and THEN confronted the General about it being the murder weapon.

Columbo also suspected Dale because of the high heels going down the back stairs,what burgler/murderer wears high heels to a house break in.That is why he set up the demonstration with the policewoman and the security guard said that was what he heard.He knew he had a helper and that he was setting up an alibi by asking the valet to look in his trunk for his cufflink and making sure for people to know that he was at the gallery at the time of the murder by asking the time.