The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Exceptional camera work in the series

Some good scenes mentioned so far in this thread...

I think I should add 'Murder by the Book', (directed by a certain young Steven Spielberg) a couple of scenes stand out for me.
The intro which begins by panning across the room, the sound of the typewriter a constant in the background, creates a good deal of suspense. The movie starts and finishes on the portrait of Mrs Melville.

The dream-like sequence where Ken Franklin drives Jim Ferris out to his home at the lake, (where he talks about de ja vu), the shots at Big Bear Lake are stunning.

The shot where Columbo first meets Ken where the camera is low down looking up always makes me smile, as Ken looks Columbo up and down.

When Ken murders Ms La sanka rows out into the lake and drops her in, this shot stands out for me too. The lighting on the water makes this a memorable shot IMO

If you like or at least don't mind very arty WWII films, and ones full of things that either don't belong or SUPPOSEDLY don't belong in WWII (the CATCH-22 / KELLY'S HEROES kind), you could very easily like CASTLE KEEP.

$leeps, I agree about those scenes in "Murder by the Book". I especially like that driving scene you mentioned, not only for the eerie atmosphere, but also because of the subtle foreshadowing of the final clue with Jim's reference to feeling a sense of deja vu. Another scene from "Murder by the Book" that stands out for me is the part where Ken is tearing up Jim's office; aside from the great camera work, I love the devilish glee Jack Cassidy exhibits making that mess, with all subsequent similar scenes in the series looking mundane by comparison.
I do like older, arty films, Grant, so it definitely sounds like one I could get into, though I'm not so into the WW2 setting. I should try it out, though; at the very least it will give me a broader perspective of Peter Falk's career (admittedly, I haven't seen him in too much other than "Columbo").