The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Funniest/most memorable moments of murderer exasperation

You can see one big moment of this kind in a freeze frame - Lawrence Harvey with that completely fed-up look and his mouth wide open in the MOST DANGEROUS MATCH credits.

That is a great image, Grant. Also, although it's been awhile since I last watched that episode, if I remember correctly there's the scene toward the end where Clayton is playing against several opponents at once, and Columbo keeps interrupting and causing him to make mistakes (very similar, actually, to the fantastic golf course scene in "Double Exposure"), until Clayton finally gets fed up and yells something like, "Give me proof!!" I love the tension in that whole scene, but kind of wonder what Clayton's opponents and the audience must have thought about this renowned chess player shouting at some guy in a raincoat.

One of my favourites is near the end of Playback, when Columbo shows up yet again at the Van Wick household and Harold asks in exasperation: "Perhaps it would be more convenient if you moved into one of the guest bedrooms?" (or words to that effect)

I also like some of the faces Robert Vaughn pulls in Troubled Waters, especially the one when Columbo follows him around on deck and is standing behind him just when he thinks the conversation is finally over.

Another good moment is when Paul Galesko is attending his photo exhibition and someone points out to him that Columbo took a great interest in his work the other day. "And today as well", Galesko says irritatedly as he spots Columbo nosing around.

But my number 1 "irritation moment" has to be the scene in Murder By The Book where Ken Franklin explains that he's on his way down to his cabin for the weekend: "Would you like an itinerary?" Columbo's reply ("I'm sorry, I'm making a pest of myself") is greeted with a very sarcastic "nohhh!" Jack Cassidy is brilliant in that episode!

"I am Carlos Montonya and this is my country" So well done.

Great topic.

I love Harold Van Wyck in that episode. He always seems so deadpan (in a good way), even when he's perturbed (well, except in that one instance where he loses his cool). One line I really like, where he seems somewhat annoyed at Columbo doing the gunshot experiment, is when he responds to Columbo's warning about the loudness of the gunshot, dryly stating, "I can handle it."

I like that Montanya line, too; he definitely shows a different sort of contempt than most other murderers, seeing Columbo as an intruder not only in his home, but in his country.

So many good scenes. Johnny Cash's memorable line in the airport scene in Swan Song, "Columbo, are you following me?" was shown at the legendary Cash's funeral.

That's neat, JenSam. I hadn't realized Cash's stint on "Columbo" got referenced in the aftermath of his passing, but it's great that it did. He had such a wonderful presence in that episode, and for me he out-performed some of the more professional actors from other episodes. I'm not sure if Cash was a fan of the show, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had at least some emotional connection; he seems to have such a grand time playing off Peter Falk.