The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: biggest star...worst performance

Roddy McDowall in 'Short Fuse' - stage school style acting, no depth to the character at all, a lame, shallow,cariciature of a murderer.
Totally unbelievable, just an actor reading his lines..!

William Shattner. One of the worst actors I have ever seen, though I must admit he is likeable

I don't know about Celeste Holme being bad, but she's definitely "broad." But maybe she was directed to be.

Not a big name, but George Wendt was dreadful. A man that rotund trying to pass undetected in the restaurant just looked foolish, as did his phoning Columbo when being chased/threatened in his car. But mostly his acting skills just lacked. Compare that to non-actor Johnny Cash Whom I thought handled his role very well..

yes...Wendt was awful...not sure how he got the gig at all.
and Roddy was incredibly lame too....ruined that episode...
and I agree that but for a few scenes...Cash did well as a non-actor...
and a shout out to Dick Van **** as a murderer....Rob Petrie after all....
and I suppose another Oscar winner should be mentioned...Ray Milland in Greenhouse.....
As for Celeste Holm being directed as broad....perhaps...but the phony fainting etc...ruined what could have been a very dark episode...Joyce Van Patten played the character with great restraint and "dark" undertone....IMO

I have to agree with Pete, George Wendt really did not strike me as someone who "belonged" in a Columbo movie. Paradoxically, I loved Patrick McGoohan in all 4 episodes that he was in. My favorite was his portrayal of Oscan Finch.

McGoohan's Oscar Finch was also my favorite McGoohan performance!

McGoohan and Robert Culp were great, able to give nuance to the various characters they played.

Rod McDowal was the worse, in my opinion. I just do not like the way Ruth Gordon played Abigail. I know I am in the minority there. But Ruth rates as my number two worst actor. Three to me is Jackie Cooper. I do like Candidate for Crime but to me it is as 'lame' as it gets. Premise, situation and plot are unbelievable. Cooper's acting just make it more unbelievable. Just an opinion.

I don't dislike Ruth Gordon in her role, but HERE AND THERE she does overdo that kind of personality she became famous for, that "Harold and Maude" one. But my only real complaint is about a handful of her lines, and as far as I know she didn't write those (in spite of being a writer herself).

I agree with Peter. Shatner was my first choice as well. Hence, Fade in to Murder ranks prominently among my least favorite Columbo episodes. The only role he ever impressed me in was as Kirk in Star Trek. Otherwise, I can't stand the little runt.