The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbo and \"Social Relevance\"

Hum. Is this the real Bert. Or is it someone who is using his name. Long time ago someone posed as a different member, and I would not doubt that the same person is now using the Bert name. It is about that time when we would expedt "I C Thru You" "Messi" idiot to return, as 'it' does every few months. That idiot also has some anger issues and has made similar comments before.

I feel sorry for him.

Re: Columbo and "Social Relevance"

I think they went out of their way to avoid social relevance, and I think it was a good thing. I've said before that the creators of the show had a clear vision of what the show was, and I don't think social relevance was part of it.

A couple of times, Columbo gives speeches that seem out of place, and I think it was cases of them veering from the vision a little. I'm thinking of in "Etude in black" where he is talking with the other detective about how sad suicide is. Also in Candidate for Crime, where he talks about how tragic it is when politicians get killed.

One episode I wonder about is "Make me a perfect murder", I wonder if it was meant at least in part as some kind of commentary on feminism. Possibly anti-feminist. As in, this woman thinks she's so great she uses murder to get her shot, and then when she gets her shot it turns out she's not qualified for the job, just like the victim told her. Of course this character is fictitious, so this would just be the attitude of the writer, who might have issues with female executives in the entertainment business. And then there's always the chance that this is all in my head.

Re: Columbo and \"Social Relevance\"

I know what you mean by that. So many stories (and other things) that most of the world see as pro-feminist can be taken just the opposite way, And even the opposite thing can be true - something that you're constantly told is sexist can be PRO-feminist in a subtle way.

Re: Columbo and \\\\\\\\\\\\"Social Relevance\\\\

I have exactly the same concerns every time I watch ...Perfect Murder. I don't believe that one can ever be taken as entirely pro-feminism though I think if it was intended as anti-feminism it could have been a lot more savage. I suspect it may be anti-feminist but think it's simply meant to be ironic and a commentary on the character of Kay Freestone rather that a general criticism of ambitious women. Afterall it was made clear that if Mark had been prepared to recommend her for the job she'd have got it easily without opposition. Then again I you want to write an anti-feminist critique you probably don't want to be obvious about it my having every as sexist.