The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Murdering Lieutenant Columbo

Of all the Columbo episodes/movies ever made, in how many did the guilty suspect attempt to murder the lieutenant? (If possible, include the titles of these episodes.)
Also, did anyone else(e.g. a loved one of that episode\\\\\\\'s Ruth Gordon/Patrick McGoohan) ever try to do our detective in? (These titles too, if there are any in this category.)

Thanks.

Re: Murdering Columbo

I know Paul Gerard tried to poison Columbo in "Murder Under Glass". Beth Chadwick pointed her gun at him at the end of "Lady in Waiting", whether or not she really would have pulled the trigger is up for debate. Vivian Dimitri also tried to poison him in "Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo", which you'll find in the 80s episodes. Those are three off the top of my head, there may be others, I'm sure someone will chime in if there are.

Fielding Chase gets a gun from the trunk and is going to shoot when the cyclists arrive. Dr. Eric Mason sics the dogs on him with Rosebud. I can't think of any more. By the way, what does the title Butterfly In Shades of Grey mean?

I just watched the Fielding Chase one again and I noticed that earlier in the episode, Columbo mentions that he doesn't carry a gun, and Feilding says "interesting, I'll have to make a note of that..."

Re: Butterfly in Shades of Grey

Butterfly in Shades of Grey is what I would've code-named Shatner's rug. (Some other wise-ass probably did.)

Re: Murdering Lieutenant Columbo

Also: Columbo Goes To The Guillotine

Re: Murdering Lieutenant Columbo

As rare as attempting to murder Columbo is during the series, it did occur three times within five episodes along the timeline (Murder Under Glass, How to Dial a Murder, Columbo Goes to the Guillotine).