The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Murderers who gave up too soon?

David
Murder Under Glass "I tried to kill you simply because you were getting on my nerves."

That one made me laugh out loud.

Excellent list, David, but the Death Lends a Hand one could also have gone like this:

Brimmer: "I lost my own contact lens and was looking for it."
Columbo: "OK, show us the prescription." (And not one for Murder :) )
Brimmer: "Hommina hommina hommina"

David, that was a masterful summary of "Columbo loopholes". I just want to comment on one of them:

Dagger of the Mind "Columbo put the pearl there" (Actually attempted).

It's always been my impression that Columbo had no intention of letting the pearl be used in evidence -- he promptly and candidly 'fesses-up that it was a plant. The final "clue" in this case is the confession.

There is ample precedent for cops deceiving a suspect to get a confession, and it is considered fair and legal. Probably the "oldest trick in the book" is the cop telling a guy "Your buddy already told us all about it, and he says you were the trigger-man, so you might as well talk to us."

I think that "Any Old Port" presents a similar situation, where Columbo's "clue" is hardly conclusive, but serves well enough (together with Adrian's fear of marriage!) to get a confession.

"I only confessed because I mistakenly thought there was good proof of what I did," is not much of a defense.